Thread: Not exactly an Alaska fish:)

Default Not exactly an Alaska fish:)

My first sailfish. Didnt fight near as much as I thought it would. Wife and I each caught two for the day and my wife lost one at the boat that was about 3 feet longer than this one. We had a big blue marlin playing with the baits but he never did take it. All I can say is it sure is nice fishing in a tee shirt and needing sun block this time of year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NICE!!!!!!! That looks real appealing right now!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Yeah baby......Where u at? Sure would like to be somewhere in a t shirt fishing.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

My guess is Costa Rica, or maybe Panama.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    All I can say is it sure is nice fishing in a tee shirt and needing sun block this time of year.
    Oh sure......rub it in why don't ya...!!!....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bingo, Costa Rica, Quepos to be exact. Today wife landed four sails, all nice size. I caught two sails and one Dorado, not sure what it weighed. Guide said it was 40 pounds but I am thinking more on the lines of 30. Will try to post a photo later. Taking a Dorado fillet to the local restaurant tonight and they prepare it several different ways for a modest cost.
    Good beer, great weather, and lots of sail fish over 100 pounds.
    Did I mention even with sunblock having a SPF of 50 we still got a tinge of sunburn today? This is our first time for this type of trip and am pretty sure it will not be our last. All Alaskans need a good thawing out at least once each winter. One more day of fishing on Monday and the wife has a few things planned to spend the rest of our money then back home to cool down in about 6 days.

Dorado's are an interesting fish. Seems like they change color constantly from green to blue to whitish and back again.

Dorado's are an interesting fish. Seems like they change color constantly from green to blue to whitish and back again.
    I have seen that on film/video, predatory camouflage. They are at the top of my YUMMY list to eat !

We went to Los Suenos April last year and had a great time, I'd be going again but paying 650 plus dollars for a 3 and 1/2 hour flight gets old in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I have seen that on film/video, predatory camouflage. They are at the top of my YUMMY list to eat !
    My number 1 for eating too.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

For $12 US the local dining place cooked the Dorado two ways, blackened and with a garlic sauce. They included a plate of rice and beans as well as french fries. Wife and I both agreed it the best fish either of us have ever eaten. Tasted similar to fresh tuna, only yummier.

Way to enjoy fishing and warm weather! Yeah your size estimate for her is closer. Did you happen to see any others cruising with this one? They seldom travel as singles, typically a male/female pair or roaming schools.

Urgh....I did this a couple years back as well. It was amazing to get on the water during the winter and catch a few fish. Now that I'm on the receiving end....it's brutal. Congrats on the great fishing and particularly the eating. Keep the pics coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Way to enjoy fishing and warm weather! Yeah your size estimate for her is closer. Did you happen to see any others cruising with this one? They seldom travel as singles, typically a male/female pair or roaming schools.
    No, did not see any more. The baits were well behind the boat and all of a sudden the rod bent and I was into it. Interesting fishing lesson, they troll at 7 mph which seems really fast. 8 lines are spread out among the outriggers and it is amazing how few tangles these guys have. Only one more chance to hook a marlin and that is tomorrow. This is another sail my wife caught yesterday.

No, did not see any more. The baits were well behind the boat and all of a sudden the rod bent and I was into it. Interesting fishing lesson, they troll at 7 mph which seems really fast. 8 lines are spread out among the outriggers and it is amazing how few tangles these guys have. Only one more chance to hook a marlin and that is tomorrow. This is another sail my wife caught yesterday.
    Well alrighty then, I guess we'll be seeing a marlin pic shortly. Bet your wife was pumped over that sailfish...beautiful!

Try catching them on a fly rod. Troll hookless ballyhoo, then switch to a fly as the sails comes into the spread. They will give you a little more of a fight on a 12wt.

Yep, those dorado/mahi-mahi/bull dolphin are yummy! Never see dolphin listed on a menu, though...people immediately think of flipper

Did you save any of the sailfish to eat? Best smoked fish I ever had, comes out pink and firm like good ham ??

Thanks for the great pics and story, now we all got the itch to do that for sure!

Regs are circle hooks and no billfish for retention. Never had smoked sailfish but can agree with smoked marlin

Five more sails came into the boat today but never did hook the exclusive marlin. Perhaps next time. Great trip, good food, fantastic weather. Should be home in 4-5 days so I can polish up my snow blowing skills, lol.