Thread: Need help catching coyotes

Default Need help catching coyotes

While snowshoeing down into a creek i found a lot of coyote sign, i broke a trail down there 4 days ago and have been going down there everyday i have seen fresh coyote sign the last 3 days and they have crossed my trail (i put a snare up where they cross), on the edge of the creek bank i bedded a #3 in front of a hole that is more level than 45 degree angle which i was told later is better than level but this is my first coyote set, then i put golfball size portions of grouse guts and tainted beaver meat in the hole and topped it off with some "Magnum Marten" lure on a stick above the hole for a "skunky" smell..my questions are.. does the skunk smell work here in Alaska and is it bad that i didn't make my hole at a 45 degree angle? i approached my set from the front with snowshoes on and it kind of packed out a trail in front of the set is that bad? I tried to be as scent free as possible..any available information anyone could pass along would be greatly appreciated

Howdy Buckwild!
    Coyotes are very cautious critters, most of the time they will see a disturbed area and be shy for a few days, the more human smell left the longer they take to check it out. When fox trapping you can "tinker"with sets some and they don't mind - coyotes the best advice is to make the set and then stay as far away as possible. When dealing with fresh snowfalls you may have more of a challenge. The nice thing is though you can read the tracks in the snow and learn how they are behaving towards your set. I do not have much luck with fresh meat, if I put out a deer carcass it may take several days before they come in and hit it, then they usually do not return for a few more. If they are real hungery they will become more agressive though so thats a plus.
    I worry more about the depth of the hole then the angle usually, I like to be 8 to 12 in deep if possible. If you have a good bank - say 2 - 3 feet high a larger hole or trench set can be very productive, again deep is good. The Martin lure should work but I prefer it down the hole slightly, or better yet in a second small hole about a foot from the bait hole. This second hole really can bring em in for a look. If your lure is on a stick and they can stand a few feet away they can zero in on it with those keen noses and see it and then they have no need to inestigate further.
    Coyotes are not "diggers"like fox, a very detailed video studio on coyotes by a team of biologist found that 80% will simply walk up to a set and leave, about 20% will actually "work the hole". This is why hiding your lure or bait down a hole makes them come in a little closer to check it out.
    I would place a second set a few feet away, a scent post set, expose a stick ( burnt works real good ) less than 10 feet away - about 6 in off the surface of dirt or snow, and place your trap about 10in in front and 3 in off to the side. If you have any fox urine give it a squirt. Have stick point towards the set, the coyote is forced to try to pee on the tip that way. Many lean it away and the coyote will stand back a bit further with more stick available for him to squirt on....
    Hopefully some guys up your way will chime in with a bit more snow experience then me, however I am guessing you may just need to be patient and keep your tracks away from sets when checking. I use binoculars ALOT = coyotes are a very very smart prey....
    Good luck and post a pic if ya get one!
    Oh, if you can get a patch of rabbit hair stuff it down the hole - very very good attractor!
    Use the 9in back, and 3in off to the side rule for hole sets, 10in back for urine post works a bit better then 9in...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Buckwild, here is a little info you may enjoy. I have spent a lot of time with some of the top "wolfers"in the lower 48 over the years. Men I respect alot and have some very impressive catch numbers. It is pretty common for even the best coyote trappers to average about 1 coyote per day per 30 sets!
    So, if you have only one set ( I would count your snare and hole set as one ) then you would catch 1 coyote a month using that formula...
    Don't give up one day a furball will be waiting for you!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....