Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 20th ANNUAL Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

Default 2013 20th ANNUAL Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

beccaking2.jpg A toady from this past fall...

Iím on the winter king tournament committee and Iíll be glad to answer questions for forum members. Here are the highlights for this year's tournament (don't call it a derby, it a tourny!).

This year is the 20th annual Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament, to be held on Saturday, March 23rd!

I can tell you that no one I know of (private or charter) has any openings for anglers on their boats for this yearís tournament. You can call the Homer Chamber of Commerce (the tournament organizer) to get your name on a waiting list. If a captain has a cancellation, or needs to fill their boat, they know to call the chamber and get names from this list. There are only a couple of names on the list right now, and the higher youíre on the list the more likely youíll can get a spot if an opening shows up. Call the Chamber at 907-235-7740 and get signed up!

This yearís tourney has some nice changes. The Boat Side Bets have been revamped. The maximum number of side bets under the name of a boat is FIVE plus the $50 Skunk Bet. With 10 monetary categories ($25, $50, $75, $100, $125, $150, $200, $250, $300, $500), that gives other boats more chances to win.

The Entry Fee is still $100 per angler. You can print out an Entry form or call the Chamber and sign up over the phone. You can get more information at the Chamber Winter King Tournament website and can download Entry form and Side Bet form here.

One of the coolest things about this event is that there are merchandise giveaways all day long. Via VHS channel 69, tournament HQ pulls anglerís names every 15 minutes and gives away a prize, usually worth at least $50. We have a ton of merchandise prizes again this year. The value of the ďbell ringerĒ prizes from last yearís Winter King Salmon Tournament was almost $16,000!

Thereís no raffle this year. Instead thereíll be a Split The Pot drawing ($20 per ticket) which will be the last prize of day announced on channel 69 promptly at 4pm at ďLines OutĒ. And weíll have another Spit The Pot during the post-tourny party at Coal Point. Youíll be able to buy tickets Friday only at Chamber, and Saturday only at Coal Point.

The other new prize this year is $250 for the heaviest WHITE King, $250. And for your 100 bucks you get some other cool stuff like one free overnight moorage in the Homer Harbor.

We urge those of you who plan on coming down to KEEP YOUR BOATS DUG OUT of the snow. Owners who want to bring their boat down early can contact Mike Stockburger at Homer Boat Yard () at 907-235-7158 for 25% off monthly rates. He has about 10-12 spaces available. If you want to STAGE your boat there within 2 WEEKS of the tournament, heíll let you park for free. He has a large tow vehicle with chains and can launch your boat in just about any conditions. Youíll need to work out the rate on the tow with him if you need that service.

As folks who have participated in the past know, this is a fun event, but itís also one of the biggest fundraisers for the Homer Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Center. After 20 years, itís run right and a blast to participate in. We look forward to seeing you at the End of The Road!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    beccaking2.jpg A toady from this past fall...

Iím on the winter king tournament committee and Iíll be glad to answer questions for forum members. Here are the highlights for this year's tournament (don't call it a derby, it a tourny!).

This year is the 20th annual Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament, to be held on Saturday, March 23rd!

I can tell you that no one I know of (private or charter) has any openings for anglers on their boats for this yearís tournament. You can call the Homer Chamber of Commerce (the tournament organizer) to get your name on a waiting list. If a captain has a cancellation, or needs to fill their boat, they know to call the chamber and get names from this list. There are only a couple of names on the list right now, and the higher youíre on the list the more likely youíll can get a spot if an opening shows up. Call the Chamber at 907-235-7740 and get signed up!

This yearís tourney has some nice changes. The Boat Side Bets have been revamped. The maximum number of side bets under the name of a boat is FIVE plus the $50 Skunk Bet. With 10 monetary categories ($25, $50, $75, $100, $125, $150, $200, $250, $300, $500), that gives other boats more chances to win.

The Entry Fee is still $100 per angler. You can print out an Entry form or call the Chamber and sign up over the phone. You can get more information at the Chamber Winter King Tournament website and can download Entry form and Side Bet form here.

One of the coolest things about this event is that there are merchandise giveaways all day long. Via VHS channel 69, tournament HQ pulls anglerís names every 15 minutes and gives away a prize, usually worth at least $50. We have a ton of merchandise prizes again this year. The value of the ďbell ringerĒ prizes from last yearís Winter King Salmon Tournament was almost $16,000!

Thereís no raffle this year. Instead thereíll be a Split The Pot drawing ($20 per ticket) which will be the last prize of day announced on channel 69 promptly at 4pm at ďLines OutĒ. And weíll have another Spit The Pot during the post-tourny party at Coal Point. Youíll be able to buy tickets Friday only at Chamber, and Saturday only at Coal Point.

The other new prize this year is $250 for the heaviest WHITE King, $250. And for your 100 bucks you get some other cool stuff like one free overnight moorage in the Homer Harbor.

We urge those of you who plan on coming down to KEEP YOUR BOATS DUG OUT of the snow. Owners who want to bring their boat down early can contact Mike Stockburger at Homer Boat Yard () at 907-235-7158 for 25% off monthly rates. He has about 10-12 spaces available. If you want to STAGE your boat there within 2 WEEKS of the tournament, heíll let you park for free. He has a large tow vehicle with chains and can launch your boat in just about any conditions. Youíll need to work out the rate on the tow with him if you need that service.

As folks who have participated in the past know, this is a fun event, but itís also one of the biggest fundraisers for the Homer Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Center. After 20 years, itís run right and a blast to participate in. We look forward to seeing you at the End of The Road!
    Ware do we troll at for big king's????

I'd say bout 100ft off your stern. With the way you've been fishing I figure were all fighting for second place anyhow, Picking up your leftovers just might be enough to do that though.

Thanks Fishin Dude! YOU can probably guess where I'LL be (with my Cop Car and "special sauce")!!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I hope to make it this year, hopefully my work schedule will work out. I need redemption after having 2 on last year and not boating either one
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

We won't know WHO to follow...It'll just be a big conga line this year, like years past...

Charterboat Operator

thanks for the links and info Cliffhanger, was just going to look that up this morning. Boat is ready and dry, heater works, and rods are bieng tuned up this week in preperation!!

Default Re: 2013 20th ANNUAL Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

First time in three years my hitch does not fall on the date of the derby and wouldn't you know it I am having shoulder surgery two days before. I don't think I will be able to make it and my wife who never tells me I can't do something told me I can't go.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a link to the Homer Chamber of Commerce's Winter King Salmon Tournament Facebook page with regular updates.

I sure hope the fishing picks up by the tournament! Pretty tough finding them out there these days.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

That's because you and Nemo removed most of them to various freezers over the past several months....

This is from an email blast the Homer Chamber sent out this morning...

__________________________________________________ __________

Dear Alaska Anglers,

Today its 26 degrees in Homer and a little overcast and we're hoping our warm winter weather will carry us through this year's, 20th Annual Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament that will take place on March 23rd.

Registration has begun for the tournament and we want to remind all anglers to keep their boats dug out! For those of you that are captains and have fished in the tournament before or are planning on fishing this year; we are compiling a wait list of anglers interested in fishing the tournament. If you have seats available on your boats please contact us so we can send anglers your way. If you are looking for a seat on a boat, please contact us ASAP so we can get you on the wait list.

The Homer Winter King Tournament is now in its 20th year, come and celebrate this anniversary and win big prizes and bragging rights.

Default Online Tournament Entry

Guys,
    You can now register for the tournament online with the Homer Chamber here. You can't enter the side bets online but you can do side bets by downloading the entry form 2013 Official EntryForm.pdf. Or just call the Chamber at 235-7740.

Got your boats shoveled out?

Right on! Getting anxious!

James,
    Looks like you caught your "derby winner" the other day!

Yeah, I'll take that one any day though! I just need to find its twin in a couple weeks.....heard he got held up at the Canadian border and is still on his way!

Did I see you out there coming around Seldovia point on Tuesday? I was too far off to tell and trying to make it home at warp speed so I didn't pull out the binos to take a closer look.

Not me. Just put Skookum back in the water yesterday after 2 months on the trailer. Are you in Homer?

I see the rules say we check in at coal point trading at 7am. Can any veterans describe that scene?

I.e. how long does it take? Are diehards waiting in line an hour ahead of time? If I show up at 7am, how long does the process take?

The reason I ask is I registered and plan to fish it off a kayak so I may need all the additional time I can get to get to the "spots"...and more importantly "get back" in time. If its a lengthy process, id wait early. Thx for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudy,
    Not having had to stand in line before, I just called Monte at the Chamber and he says that if you have pre-registered, there's no reason for you to come into Coal Point on Saturday morning (unless you want the "lucky" fish beads). There's nothing that gets handed out there like an official entry ticket. So you can just go out and be ready to fish at 9am, when "lines in" is called.

HOWEVER, you must, must, must check in with tournament HQ to tell them when you are going out and when you return. It's for safety, and insures that we know you're out there and return in one piece. So you can call in on VHF 69, or call HQ at 907-235-3877.

So I can call and get a boat number?? ie when they say check in, phone is ok??

2. Registration - A representative from each boat must check in with Tournament Headquarters on the day of the tournament prior to leaving the harbor to have your vessel # assigned. ALL VESSELS MUST HAVE A NUMBER ASSIGNED FROM TOURNAMENT HEADQUARTERS. Headquarters on Saturday is located at Coal Point Trading on the Homer Spit and will open at 7:00 am (907-235-3877). All anglers must have completed a tournament entry form prior to fishing. The Homer Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center reserves the right to photograph all entrants, reproduce any photographs for publicity and retain all photo rights.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast