Thread: Happy Valley flyout caribou hunt help

Default Happy Valley flyout caribou hunt help

I'm trying to put together a fly out caribou hunt for this fall, more specifically, in the three week window starting August 22nd. Dates are flexible as long as they fall within that time frame, darn slopers. I've done a fair bit of research so far and I'm trying to nail down my options for air taxis. From what I've discovered so far my options for flying out of Happy Valley include:

Deltana Outfitters
    Arrowhead Outfitters
    70 North

Is there anyone else? Also would it be worth it to fly out of a place farther south such as:

Coyote Air in Coldfoot

Brookes Range Aviation or Bettles Air

Any help would be great.

I'd fly Deltana or 70 north. Do not fly with the middle one you mentioned. Coyote is another good option and could probably put you on bou in the Brooks Range as well. It's going to be more expensive to get to Bettles and fly from there, especially when the other three outfits can do the same thing. All three are very reputable.

Adding to this thread a tad...

What's the ballpark range two guys can expect to pay for this flight round trip? Assuming 2 caribou are harvested.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Adding to this thread a tad...

What's the ballpark range two guys can expect to pay for this flight round trip? Assuming 2 caribou are harvested.
    Depends entirely on how far you go from their base... I knew someone who used one of those air taxis to go from Happy Valley about 150 miles east and the round trip was about $3,000? That's two separate trips for the pilot, in a Helio Courier...

Mossyhorn, why would you not fly with either charter out of bettles? I've heard nothing but great things about Brooks Range Aviation. Also I priced out several charter companies and the total cost for the entire trip came out fairly close with bettles(brooks range aviation, we didn't price bettles air) being the cheapest.

I didn't say I wouldn't fly with them but I don't see the benefit of paying for an extra flight in and out of bettles when other outfits from the road system can get me to the same areas for less money. The air charters out of bettles may be in line with the others but the extra flight in and out will run you extra.

I have personal knolage of the pilots at Deltana Outfitters and 70 North. Fantastic safe pilots that I would trust with my family.

Jerry Jacques Master Guide #110 www.Bristol-bay.com

When flying with 70 North is it a package price or is it paid flight time?

I just did this research a couple of months ago. I talked to few charters and asked this forum. I ended up going with 70 north. I would get your plans together quick and book ASAP. That way you get the days you want. I have already sent a check for a aug sept hunt.

For my flight it was $1050 per flight. That is just 600 lbs one way. The 600 lbs includes you and your gear so pack light and start working out now...

PM for details if you want.

Last year four of us flew with 70 north for dahl,grizzly, caribou and wolf. Cost was $1750 per person with 2 flights in in the helio alowwing 1200 lbs total. We saw plenty of sheep but not legal enough for us to shoot. After coming home and looking at the pics on computer a couple were legal, better be safe than sorry. We saw two wolves but too far to shoot. We brought home 6 caribou and two Artic grizzlies. We were extreamly happy with 70 north, they made and extra flight on the way out at no extra charge. We were shuttled on the way out do to weather and they had to leave the last load of meat at a halfway point overnight. 70 North gave us a place to stay overnight in the cabins and fed us while we were waiting. This was the first time I took a charter for hunting and after this experience I will do it again with 70 North. Just remember they cant change the weather.

As for the pilots, you wont find better and safer pilots to fly with. I was a helicopter co-pilot in the military for 7 years and Mike and Bob are very proffessional.

Oh, one last thing about thier ethics. I left my digital video camera on the plane on the way out and with all the clients they were flying I thought I lost my whole hunt on video. We called from Anchorage and they were able to locate the video camera and sent it to me in the lower 48 at no cost.

Normally hunters dont tip charters because you are already paying for the flight. The service we recieved from Mike and Bob and thier loader, to the cooks and maintenance was beyond the call of duty. Needless to say we tipped them all pretty well.

I took two kids for a guided hunt with Deltana a few years ago and it was a fantastic experience. Jim will also do air taxi service with his excellent pilots, but I don't believe he likes to outfit unguided groups.

I went with 70 North on a bou hunt this past Sept. and I can't say enough we saw hundreds of animals and Mike and Bob where the best. Saw also wolves and bear on the hunt. Our price was 1750 round trip. I would highly recommend them to anyone they have been in business a long time. They dont run guided hunts so no worry there like I would on some of the others mentioned. Not saying thier not good they are reputable also.

70 North, Mike is one of the best there is. He takes care of ya and he and Bob know the area well. Flown with him 4 years in a row now.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/