Thread: Whats a good raft to use on a moose hunt for 2 guys?

Default Whats a good raft to use on a moose hunt for 2 guys?

Looking for a good raft that is not crazy in price. Might just use it on one or two trips.
    Thanks

I'd start by doing some reading at this link and this link. There is a wealth of information elsewhere on the site that has mostly been compiled by Michael Strahan which is well worth reading regarding float hunting.

Definitely hit the rafting forums. There is a ton of stuff in there.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Re: Whats a good raft to use on a moose hunt for 2 guys?

Without more details you are not going to get the answer you want.

Do you plan to fly in where weight is a major factor? What class of water are you going to be tackling? How many days/how much gear are you going to need to haul?

I bought a Pro Pioneer myself as it should work for many situations.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Any 14' to 16' round boat will work. I own a 14' NRS Otter and have hauled moose, caribou, bear and wolves in it. Hunting with two guys realistically you can usually only hold 1 moose and another smaller sized big game animal. Like a moose and a bear, a moose and a caribou, or a moose and some wolves. I suppose if you only intend to float a class I river where shallow water is not a factor, you might get a away with 2 moose, but your boat is going to get real crowded for space. And you would have to pack very light on gear. Like sheep hunting style. Mountain house and the bare essentials. Your best bet is to have 2 boats for 2 guys. Or better yet, 2 boats for 3 guys is ideal IMO, because the boat with only 1 guy can haul the extra gear and game meat etc. If you use a pro pioneer, you probably need 2 boats for two guys.

This has been an age old question for many years on this Forum and discuss with passion severl times. Bushwack Jake brought up some very valid points.

IMO there is not one perfect boat for all situations however their are mores suitable options. LB boats the Lev is one however I don't know if it is currently available. Maybe Larry will chime in and provide some details on its availability. I like the 15ft NRS Otter for 2 guys on a float hunt provides room and weight carrying capabilities again IMO.

As pointed out depending on your hunt location, harvest and willingness to go with Min Gear will or at least should dictate your boat requirements.

Also you can look at a 16ft Cat the Air Lion will put you in the game however the Larger models are better suited when you start talking two guys and two moose. Check out Jim Kings Boats as well and for giggles Contact Geaux about Sotar Options.

I know some help eh! My Standard answer based on weight of the raft, folding of the boat in cold weather, and carrying capabilities versus size I am a 15ft Otter Fan. Remember we all have opinions and bias so best of luck with your choice.

Regards

RMM
    Blue Moose Rafting

We've got a few Levitators left for 2013.

But the right boat depends on your budget and river destination.

Two guys, gear, and two moose = about 2100-lbs required capacity. If you buy in to the theory of any boat performing to rouhgly 75% of its max capacity, then look for a raft that supports at least 2800-lbs, which offers adequate draft with up to 2100 lbs on board. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Larry

Gunner, PM sent.

Your question leads me to think you have never run a river in a loaded boat before.

If so, get some experience before committing to the logistically complex, and potentially hazardous undertaking that is a fly-in float trip for moose.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Your question leads me to think you have never run a river in a loaded boat before.

If so, get some experience before committing to the logistically complex, and potentially hazardous undertaking that is a fly-in float trip for moose.
    Well said Erik. Even for those with experience, pulling off a successful float hunt is not an easy task.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1 View Post
    Looking for a good raft that is not crazy in price. Might just use it on one or two trips.
    Thanks
    This is a question that has many variables. We rent 14/15 round boats and SOAR hunting Canoes. When we are placing our moose hunters high up into the mountains with limited water and smaller rivers and when wt. is a concern we go with the SOAR's. Great product and always handles the wt. of the moose hunt.

If the river is larger like the upper Noatak and Kobuk we opt for the 14/15 foot round boats. The down side is round boats weigh in the 145-155 pound range and that places some stress on the capacity of the 206 and 185 air craft that we send guys out in.

My advice is to look at where you are headed, where/how will you be using the boat and what do you have to spend?

I have attached photos of both the SOAR option and the round boats.

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float hunts & Drop camps
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the info Guys. I think I got it figured out. I have floated a lot of river and was looking at buying a new raft.