Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petersville snow

Default Petersville snow

Any recent snow reports for Petersville Road? I heard 6-8" of snow around Trapper Creek, but wondering how much snow is further back; like near Kenny Creek.

Tim

i was back in there yesterday and it had about 6" powder on top hard pack ice. very slick.
    Semper Fi!

went yesterday and there is 2 1/2' at kenny creek on the board and about 6 " of it is powder. over by peters creek was super wind blown and under 2' of snow.

There is a good solid base layer now but the top is crusted up from wind and sun in most areas.

The groomer crew have been busy and did a great job but with the large number of people that were out there over the weekend it got torn up in some spots like normal.

Plenty of snow on all the trails to keep your sleds cool and the hifax lubed which is nice.

The east west trail going out of MP 121 has a huge open water spot just east of Moose Creek. We heard it was passable but found out otherwise. I don't recommend it unless your sled has its water wings or you just want to practice sled recovery and to make sure your synthetic clothing functions well when wet and in below freezing temps.

Water wings? You don't need no stink'n water wings!

Seriously though, how bad was that overflow section? We have some friends coming up to our cabin this weekend and they have zero riding experience. A block at Moose Creek would put a crimp in my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Seriously though, how bad was that overflow section? We have some friends coming up to our cabin this weekend and they have zero riding experience. A block at Moose Creek would put a crimp in my plans.
    It was up to the seat on a Yamaha. I would suggest your friends take a different trail till things freeze up good. It looked like the groomers did what they could to fill it full of snow but the warm weather and warm water defeated their work.

Yikes! That looks pretty bad.

I'll be leading, so I may have to come up with another plan if temps don't go down enough to freeze that up.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Yikes! That looks pretty bad.

I'll be leading, so I may have to come up with another plan if temps don't go down enough to freeze that up.
    Yeah other than that it was good up to that point. That spot had 100 feet of flat out open water with a few floating ice bergs, after that it turned to water and snow mix for another 100 or so feet. There is no way to get around that hole since the overflow continues as far back in the trees as we could see. We heard that there was even more water coming from the other direction.

I still don't see how paddle tracked mountain sleds had a problem with that spot

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I still don't see how paddle tracked mountain sleds had a problem with that spot
    <--- This guys paddle tracked mountain sled had no issues but I didn't see any reason in proving it since everyone else turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    It was up to the seat on a Yamaha. I would suggest your friends take a different trail till things freeze up good. It looked like the groomers did what they could to fill it full of snow but the warm weather and warm water defeated their work.

We made it through here on Sunday but the Skandic wide track barely made it. From where this pic was taken, you had to make a right turn, then go about another 40-50 yrds across 3-4' deep water to make it across. We headed north at Reflector, then to Ruth River (lots of overflow), back out to mile 127 then down Chulitna Bluff back to 121. 55 mile round trip. Rode Johnson Pass and Turnagain yesterday.

Been there, done that... Same spot, only going the other way 2 years ago. Warmed up to 45 by late afternoon. The creek was running big time
    !!! No way around it. 1 made it thru, the other did not. Just make sure you drain your chain case before heading out again...

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    We made it through here on Sunday but the Skandic wide track barely made it. From where this pic was taken, you had to make a right turn, then go about another 40-50 yrds across 3-4' deep water to make it across. We headed north at Reflector, then to Ruth River (lots of overflow), back out to mile 127 then down Chulitna Bluff back to 121. 55 mile round trip. Rode Johnson Pass and Turnagain yesterday.

I am impressed that you guys made it through that spot.

<--- This guys paddle tracked mountain sled had no issues......
    Prove it!

Default Petersville snow

Screw the east/west express. I'll never ride that **** again.

At least not until march when all the creek beds fill with snow.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Prove it!
    Bring your but down here and we will go back in there.

I am impressed that you guys made it through that spot.
    Skandic has the etec 120 HP with 1.5 paddle. Definitally water skipping but the friend riding my Skandic has less experience. He did not even get the seat wet or fill the trunk with water, but stuck it coming out. Skiis were on the hard, tail under water.
    In hindsight I would go in via mile 127 to Swan Lake then over to Bunco south to Safari to get around the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    Skandic has the etec 120 HP with 1.5 paddle. Definitally water skipping but the friend riding my Skandic has less experience. He did not even get the seat wet or fill the trunk with water, but stuck it coming out. Skiis were on the hard, tail under water.
    In hindsight I would go in via mile 127 to Swan Lake then over to Bunco south to Safari to get around the creek.
    Think I will just stick with going to Petersville road and riding it in. No creeks to worry about.

Since our cabin is just a few miles south of the E/W trail, it's our most convienent route to access the hills to the west. Although I suppose it's not so convienent if you need a boat for parts of it. Looks like snow and much colder temps are on the way for the area so hopefully it will improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast