Thread: Wolf Question?

Default Wolf Question?

I am curious wolf trappers, when you catch one in a leg hold trap does the "pack" hang around trying to help it? I thought maybe it would be a concern when one comes upon the trapped one?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

They may hang around for a while, but they will not "help" it. Unless by "helping" you mean "eating"....

Way too much Farley Mowat type perception of wolves out there...(not a dig on you Smokey)...

Hey Smokey. Can't answer your question in regards to trapping a wolf, but in response to wolf behavior in general. On a most recent float hunt I was on I got lucky (The good Lord was smiling down on me I believe) and managed to come across a pack of wolves while I was looking for a moose. I managed to take down three of them. I can't say that they were helping eachother, but after the largest of the pack ran off, the others were confused and amid the confusion they didn't really know which way to run. I think they were looking for their leader and the leader already took off. The wolves were all young. I would say about 85 lbs a piece. After I shot one they began scattering but they were unable to determine where the shots were coming from because I was above them and with their leader out of the picture they were more vulnerable.

Here's a pic of the wolves.

Thanks guys, I was just curious how much the pack really stuck together. I figured maybe if one was caught in a trap and still alive the others would hang around and perhaps offer a trapper a shot if he came in quiet.
    Coyotes will actually harass the caught one after a few minutes - some will bite the tail end - not uncommon to find a few bite marks on the hips of the caught one. Perhaps subordinate males getting in a lick on the alfa male in the area if thats the one or just neighbor rivalry taking advantage the situation.
    Nice looking wolves ya got there! That should make a few more moose calves for ya!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

congrats on that wolf kill, wackem and stackem!

The guy I'm running with will hang snares out at the next corner. he said they'll linger around for a period of time but wont come into the set. Instead they'll run the trail till they can just see the original caught wolf and thats about all. I have no experience really to speak of but the wolf I snapped this year had a couple running with him and they did hang around for a little bit. They do frequent the area regularly so I didnt give it much thought. I had gear close by on some main trails but no comprenda.....foudn out today I had a 750 snapped, kinda thinking I may have missed one of his buddies. Gonna find out what happened in a few...grabbing some grub and back at it for a few more hours.