Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I had to start somewhere.....

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default I had to start somewhere.....

    I finally got a whole dug this fall
    IMG_5740.jpgIMG_5720.jpg

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default

    A few more pics
    IMG_1648.jpgIMG_1701.jpg

  3. #3

    Default

    You might want to think about adding more timbers to bring up the leval a little because of the snow and ice . How deep did you get with the hole ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

  5. #5
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,766

    Default

    The hole can't be too deep! My son-in-law talked a local well-driller into drilling his. First time I went in there I swear I could see daylight at the other end of the hole, and after I sat there a while, I heard someone say, from a long way off, "嘿,誰在我的頭上拉屎嗎?"

    I got out of there quick, lemme tell ya!

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default

    copy on the timbers, I dug 4 foot deep and it's sitting on 10"+ of timbers. The bottom of the door is approx an additional 3" above foundation. The timbers are sitting just below grade so I may be able to pull some of the fill from around the base.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The hole can't be too deep! My son-in-law talked a local well-driller into drilling his. First time I went in there I swear I could see daylight at the other end of the hole, and after I sat there a while, I heard someone say, from a long way off, "嘿,誰在我的頭上拉屎嗎?"

    I got out of there quick, lemme tell ya!


    -Mike
    I quit fairly shallow and did not need an exchange student to tell me to stop digging.

  8. #8
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Nice Job on the Carpentry,..
    gotta love the Butterfly's, and the little ones with big attitudes

    If it's a Rec place, don't think you'll need to go to Asia,....

    what I did was build the thing on skids,...so I could move it over a new hole if necessary

    after years, several full winters, it was never deemed necessary,...tho I didn't have family back then either
    I was just down to Bedrock or Hard Gravel anyway at maybe 5ft (is that what you hit there ?)

    Looks good to me,....so much fun out there, eh?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Nice Job on the Carpentry,..
    gotta love the Butterfly's, and the little ones with big attitudes

    If it's a Rec place, don't think you'll need to go to Asia,....

    what I did was build the thing on skids,...so I could move it over a new hole if necessary

    after years, several full winters, it was never deemed necessary,...tho I didn't have family back then either
    I was just down to Bedrock or Hard Gravel anyway at maybe 5ft (is that what you hit there ?)

    Looks good to me,....so much fun out there, eh?
    Skids are a good idea. Wish I would have thought of that. No rock just hard gravel.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default tie downs and anchors


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default Bearcat train with 20' floor joists


  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Was the trail groomed all the way? How did the sled work on a not so groomed trail? Love the concept.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Was the trail groomed all the way? How did the sled work on a not so groomed trail? Love the concept.

    I have ten miles of fairly straight hard packed trail so I have yet to pull thru powder. I hear they do well in deeper snow. I can say that on hard packed trail the 20' joists span the moguls making for a fairly smooth pull. Once tied down the loads never moved over ten miles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •