Thread: Shipping Containers and Snow Load

Default Shipping Containers and Snow Load

Hi all,

Rather then repost on an old thread I will ask it in a new one If you studded out the inside of a shipping container and ran 4x4 every 4 feet across the ceiling would that solve the snow load issue in a shipping container if you used it as a small cabin?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

Rather then repost on an old thread I will ask it in a new one If you studded out the inside of a shipping container and ran 4x4 every 4 feet across the ceiling would that solve the snow load issue in a shipping container if you used it as a small cabin?

Ron

YES..........

You would have much better support if you used something like a 2x8 as the 4x4 would have more of a tendency to bow down with a constant load in the winter.

Why don't you build a hi-sloping roof on top of the container to keep the snow off the roof and use the area for storage?

Brings to mind what a cool idea that is,...so what's the story on finding one of those, and actually purchasing

the Gear Storage unit I pay for is just that,...tho it doesn't have any reinforcement up top,...
    is in Kodiak, so maybe not such an issue,...yet

I'd bet even 2x6's would be a mighty strong reinforcement,...
    are you still in MI, and is it going to be four feet of heavy wet,....on top ??

tell us more Ron, if you can,...where did you find one, what was the deal ??

EDIT: Wow, within 14 minutes of this post, I had an ad show on my page here for Containers for sale or lease,....UNREAL
    I'll let ya know what they quote me, just for kicks
    I filled out the request for quote,....amazing, should be interesting to see,....This Internet,....Is Crazy
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Re: Shipping Containers and Snow Load

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Brings to mind what a cool idea that is,...so what's the story on finding one of those, and actually purchasing

the Gear Storage unit I pay for is just that,...tho it doesn't have any reinforcement up top,...

Working out the last ideas before we decide on small cabin or shipping container. With the container I can get it now, build to fit then ship to location done. I am still going over where in the interior we will end up. I would think off a road somewhere but evergreen tells me they could fly a 20' almost anywhere. I am getting a quote on spray in closed cell insolation today. My guess is 5k into it before I set it down in AK. Building a wood frame cabin would be cheaper but time, help and such might be easier to go this route. I have property emails come in from Robert Fox almost twice a week now. I am still wanting a 40 not in a new sub.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Who ever runs the freight dock down there might have some damaged ones that they would sell. Most end up being shipped south to Longbeach to be recycled eventually.

In Anchorage you can call Container Specialties and see what they would sell you a conex for. For work I have bought both new and used ones in the past. Used are about half price, but they can have major issues when it comes to being sealed or doors closing fully.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

Ron
    At 4 foot centers you may have an issue if the snow is really deep. If you are using a steel conex then it might not be too much of an issue. However, we have used just 2x4 at 24 inch centers on aluminium conexs as well as building a pitched roof cap. On one conex the roof cap was more like a pole barn over the container with small pads for the uprights. Over kill but they wanted to be able to drag the conex out and leave the structure for some other use at some point.

Condensation is probably more of an issue than snow load with those things. I know there was a past thread on that.

EDIT: Wow, within 14 minutes of this post, I had an ad show on my page here for Containers for sale or lease,....UNREAL
    I'll let ya know what they quote me, just for kicks
    I filled out the request for quote,....amazing, should be interesting to see,....This Internet,....Is Crazy
    Kodiakrain,

I bought one for work in Kodiak from Samsung Tug & Barge. Just went down to their dock and talked to them and they had a number of used ones they were looking to sell.

Yes there was a past post. I am a forum member on a shipping container home site. Closed cell will get rid of water issue. I'm looking for more ideas on site prep but current snow loads are what I need for Fairbanks and Tok.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Fbks. has a minimum of 50 lbs /sq./ft. down here I build for 60.

Not in line with what you are planning but thought I'd mention that I've seen two connexes set with an 8 foot gap between them and pitched roof build over and resting on top of both. That would give you two "cabins" with 8x20 covered storage/entry area. Seemed like a pretty slick idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Not in line with what you are planning but thought I'd mention that I've seen two connexes set with an 8 foot gap between them and pitched roof build over and resting on top of both. That would give you two "cabins" with 8x20 covered storage/entry area. Seemed like a pretty slick idea.
    That is one of the best ideas. Get some prefabed trusses from SBS, or off Craigslist and set them up on top of the two containers. For construction sites we just use some old joists and sheet material for a flat roof. for a cabin cut in side doors and weld in a frame.

I know several people in Fairbanks with storage containers for storage. None off them have had issues with snow load problems.

Seems like there are a lot of better ways to build a cabin though.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

So the 4x4's should do it then. Would you need to get the container off the ground?

Ron

Edwin Hubble

They already have about 4-6 inches clearance setting on their own corner blocking,...
    you know, so they can be scooped by forklifts,...they'll clear the ground enough to not be sitting in groundwater

If you're going onto gravel I wouldn't think so
    maybe if it's an unprepared surface it could sink down into the mud
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good idea for sure....found this as a reference. Likely some additional insight on container projects on the web.

http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-...ntainer-cabin/

http://www.permies.com/t/5752/green-...-cabin-shelter