Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: NIB rifle numbers not matching

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default NIB rifle numbers not matching

    I bought a NIB kimber Montana 7mm-08 from a local gun shop. I took the rifle out of the box. This is the first time the Box had been open. Took bolt out of the taped up box and plastic when I got home and noticed that the numbers on the bolt did not match the serial number on the rifle. All of my rifles have matching numbers so I thought I had the wrong bolt. I called kimber and they said that is normal. I argued with the tech guy from kimber saying it should have matching numbers. To no avail he said I could send it back on my dime to have it checked over ect. Does this sound right or em I being anal? This left a real sour taste for me and Kimbers

  2. #2
    Member GDinAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    232

    Default

    SD I have 2 classics and 4 Montana's and the all have matching numbers except the first one I ever purchased which I cannot find a single number on the bolt, go figure could be my eyes. If it is any conciliation the all shoot great.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default serial no. or assembly no.?

    Are the numbers close or totally different? I've never seen it on a rifle but some guns like earlier S&W revolvers and some Remington Rolling Blocks had shorter assembly numbers put on some of the major parts to keep them together before the gun received a serial number. All the rifles I've seen had the serial number matching the number on the bolt however, but I haven't looked at Kimbers.

    If the number on the bolt is an assembly no. it should have a matching number on the receiver somewhere, probably under the wood line.

    Sounds kinda weird to me - Kimber should have given you an explanation for sure.



    Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I bought a NIB kimber Montana 7mm-08 from a local gun shop. I took the rifle out of the box. This is the first time the Box had been open. Took bolt out of the taped up box and plastic when I got home and noticed that the numbers on the bolt did not match the serial number on the rifle. All of my rifles have matching numbers so I thought I had the wrong bolt. I called kimber and they said that is normal. I argued with the tech guy from kimber saying it should have matching numbers. To no avail he said I could send it back on my dime to have it checked over ect. Does this sound right or em I being anal? This left a real sour taste for me and Kimbers
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  4. #4
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Iíd not shoot it without checking the head space, or matching the bolt number to something on the receiver. Iíd be happy to check headspace for you if you donít have gages . . . no charge. If itís out I can document that and you better believe Kimber will pony up shipping on it then as it becomes a huge liability issue for them.
     
    Now you say box was never opened? That is very odd, the FFL is supposed to read the numbers directly off the gun (never trust the box numbers) so to do this they should have opened it to log it in when they got it and again when you picked it up and filled out the 4473 on it. Do the numbers on the box and receiver match? Seems odd to me like someone didnít do their job or maybe did extra stuff. But as long as headspace checks it will be safe, you can put the last 3 of the SN on the bolt and move on to seeing if it shoots.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default resale value...


    Even if the headspace checks out and the gun shoots fine, a mis-matched bolt will hurt the value of the gun if you ever want to sale it later. On a cheaper mass produced gun it may not matter as much; on an expensive gun like the Kimber a mis-matched bolt is definitely a serious negative to a lot of buyers as it is to you.



    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iíd not shoot it without checking the head space, or matching the bolt number to something on the receiver. Iíd be happy to check headspace for you if you donít have gages . . . no charge. If itís out I can document that and you better believe Kimber will pony up shipping on it then as it becomes a huge liability issue for them.
     
    Now you say box was never opened? That is very odd, the FFL is supposed to read the numbers directly off the gun (never trust the box numbers) so to do this they should have opened it to log it in when they got it and again when you picked it up and filled out the 4473 on it. Do the numbers on the box and receiver match? Seems odd to me like someone didnít do their job or maybe did extra stuff. But as long as headspace checks it will be safe, you can put the last 3 of the SN on the bolt and move on to seeing if it shoots.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  6. #6
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

    Even if the headspace checks out and the gun shoots fine, a mis-matched bolt will hurt the value of the gun if you ever want to sale it later. On a cheaper mass produced gun it may not matter as much; on an expensive gun like the Kimber a mis-matched bolt is definitely a serious negative to a lot of buyers as it is to you.
    Yes but if it fits properly it can be matched by numbering it to the action. Itís not a tuned action where everything is matched and trued together itís an assembly line rifle where the variables are made up with how deep they run the reamer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  7. #7
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    839

    Default

    I would take it back to your local gun shop where you bought it. They may have opened it up, and like ADfields says they are supposed to, and then taped it back shut. Might be a gun there with your bolt???

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Update took it to a local gun shop and it was not head spaced right. Called kimber got a different guy and he said to send it back. I told them I want matching numbers ect. They sent me a shipping label and I'm going to drop it off at UPS. Now lets see how it turns out in the end.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Food for thought; the shop you purchased the rifle from may have had more than one Kimber on the counter at a time after receiving and verifying paper work, then accidently mismatched the bolts when returning the rifles to the boxes. Calling the shop and mentioning this may save someone from injury or perhaps only embarrasment.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Food for thought; the shop you purchased the rifle from may have had more than one Kimber on the counter at a time after receiving and verifying paper work, then accidently mismatched the bolts when returning the rifles to the boxes. Calling the shop and mentioning this may save someone from injury or perhaps only embarrasment.

    I did think of that and went there. I had the only one that they got in. It took 20 month to get that one in. It had to of come from the factory that way. I took the rifle out of the box and then took it out of the sealed plastic bag that it came in. I then took the bolt out of the box that was in the rifle box and broke the seal on that tape. Then took the bolt out of the sealed bolt bag. It was messed up from the factory which is no big deal my only problem is when one of the customer service people at kimber told me that was fine. That there bolts are not numbered to the rifle. Then I call again and talk to a different person that said yes it should have matching numbers. I have both of there names written down.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Well done. Sounds like someone at Kimber customer service needs an education on firearms in general and their products in particular. Hope you see your corrected rifle soon !

  12. #12
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I hope they get it all figured out for you. Bummer you have to go through that. How'd you come across a Montana 7mm-08? Those rifles are very hard to come by right now.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I hope they get it all figured out for you. Bummer you have to go through that. How'd you come across a Montana 7mm-08? Those rifles are very hard to come by right now.
    Got lucky and walked into the gun shop on the right day. I have been looking for a long time.

  14. #14
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Good going swapdonkey. Glad Kimber is going to rectify the problem. Nothing worse than getting a new gun and something is screwed up with it. I had a Remington handle fall off the bolt after the third cycle, and I was only dry firing while adjusting the trigger. Talk about a shock. Took that one to an authorized repair shop, first they said they would silver solder back on. I emphatically said no, it has the black Tryinite finish on it. They did send it back and Remington fixed it.

    Good luck, you should be OK now

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Update of the rifle. I sent the rifle in a month ago and I just got it back today. The letter in the box said they rehead spaced the rifle and replaced the bolt and now the numbers match on the bolt to the rifle. I put a set of talley one piece rings/mounts on it and lapped them. I put a Leupold VX-3 2.5x8x36 and weighted it on my fish scale. I got 6.04 ounces. I have a aluminum trigger guard on the way so it should weight under 6lbs with the trigger guard weighting 1.8 ounces less. Now if it shoots good I will have a good mountain rifle. After a little grief from one of the guys at Kimber at first they made it right. I will be honest it still leaves a sour taste from the one guy telling me that not everything is going to match all the time.

  16. #16
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,602

    Default

    Heard something once about apples and barrels. Glad you got it fixed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    I hope it shoots well for you !

  18. #18
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Glad you got it worked out.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  19. #19
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Good to know that Kimber got it all squared away for you and you have the rifle back in your hands. I'd be a little pissed, too, as there is really no excuse for a rifle that costs that much to leave the factory that way. Nonetheless, I love my Kimber Montana. What bullets you going to try? You still have time to get it all dialed in before spring bear. I have the aluminum trigger guard on the way for mine as well.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Good to know that Kimber got it all squared away for you and you have the rifle back in your hands. I'd be a little pissed, too, as there is really no excuse for a rifle that costs that much to leave the factory that way. Nonetheless, I love my Kimber Montana. What bullets you going to try? You still have time to get it all dialed in before spring bear. I have the aluminum trigger guard on the way for mine as well.
    going to try 140 grain accubond, TTSX, game king, and if they don't work 145 grain TTSX long range or maybe the 150 accubond long range when they come out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •