Thread: Otter lake

Default Otter lake

Anyone been out there recently? Or even not so recently? I'm heading out there this weekend sometime with some buddies, gonna try for some pike, just wondering if anyone has any advice or insider information they feel like sharing.
    Thanks!

I read that they were going to treat Otter lake with rotenone last fall. Does anybody know if that ever happened?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

A call to F & G on the fort , they will clue you what is going on

I read that they pushed it off and are supposed to do it this fall instead. There's nothing on the JBER fishing page about it, either.

That was the document read that made me think it had been treated with rotenone. I tried contacting the guys on base, but have not gotten any answer. I'll try again next week.

Otter Lake has not been treated yet. The paper work is slowing the process, it's "scheduled" for next fall. The pike are still there, so go kill them!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

NICE!!! I'll throw the auger in the truck and head out for my lunch break!

I tried this lake three times this spring. I didn't see, let alone catch a single fish. I fished hard for pike and trout without a bite. I didn't see any fish rise either. Honestly there are better places to try. I hope you find the fishing better in the winter.

Went out there today, only got one pike about 25 inches or so. We tried fishing in the deep part for a while but never had a bite. Then went over by the outlet in about 4-5 feet of water and got one right away, but that was it.
    I'm thinking about going out again next Saturday and giving it another go.
    Any suggestions on how to catch a few more next time?

Default Otter lake

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Otter Lake has not been treated yet. The paper work is slowing the process, it's "scheduled" for next fall. The pike are still there, so go kill them!
    Good to know how thick is the ice?

Same as everywhere in Anchorage, about 18-24 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Went out there today, only got one pike about 25 inches or so. We tried fishing in the deep part for a while but never had a bite. Then went over by the outlet in about 4-5 feet of water and got one right away, but that was it.
    I'm thinking about going out again next Saturday and giving it another go.
    Any suggestions on how to catch a few more next time?
    Although Otter Lake is not listed in the ADF&G regs as a 5-line (tipup) Lake, when I spoke to the JBER conservation officer earlier this winter, he said if it was clear I was targeting pike, he would not write me up for having 5 tipups on Otter. The tipup setup I am referring to would include a large treble hook, swedish hook, or quickstrike tipped with a 4+ inch herring.

Seems the inlet would be more productive for pike this time of year, but I have been fishing other lakes and don't know ant specifics about Otter.

I can PM you the officer's phone # if you want to double-check.

Good luck, and please let us know how you do.

Huh, that's very interesting. Yeah, could you send me his number? Not that I don't trust you.. I just want to double check
    I'm not sure where to try, I was thinking the outlet, but maybe the inlet would be better? I think I'm going to head out there this Saturday, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Got skunked out there today. We set up in about 15-20 feet of water, right off of a big drop off, with a tip-up set 30 feet away in about 4 feet of water. Never saw a fish or had a bite. I know they're in there, it sure is frustrating to go out there and not know what I'm doing wrong.
    We were close-ish to the outlet because I figured there would be a bit more oxygen in water that is moving. Used spoons tipped with herring, the tip-up had a whole herring on it.
    Anyway, if someone has any insight or ideas about what to try next time, I'm all ears.

Pike through the ice are very notional. You may fish a body of water hard for a week without a flag and then have flags all day long in spots you've been skunked all week. One day like that may convince you that pike will hit anything anywhere, so the only reason for a skunk is there are no fish there or you're fishing wrong. Sometimes it doesn't matter to pike; they won't bite no matter where or what you're using. And sometimes they just bite whatever you have, wherever you have it. Good luck, and stick with it!

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Was wondering if anyone knows if they poisoned Otter lake yet? The info on the g&f website says it was scheduled for fall of 2012 and on here people say it was postponed so wondering if anyone knows if it got poisoned Planning on calling G&F Monday to find out but wanted to see if anyone knows on here and if not if anyone has been out fishing for pike out there?

I went in the wildlife office in base about 2 weeks ago, they said it had not been treated yet this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk