Thread: Life size brown bear mount

Default Life size brown bear mount

Ok my hide is being tanned, I am gathering ideas, pics for my mount as per taxidermist request, but I would like to ask for input with pics please if possible for what you may feel are the best mounts you have seen. I am striving for a real walking looking over at me type mount with a substantial base/diarama, not a standing mean look. Thanks Scott. Oh yea it's from Kodiak. Thanks again.

If it were me, Id look for photos of real live bears, not photos of other mounts...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

There are two bear mounts that really catch my eye. The absolute favorite is the bear in the Ted Stevens Airport, the standing one by the Alaska Air counter. I stop by and look at it every time I'm through there ~ and that's a weekly event A grand mount that has a very classy slightly open mouth ~ certainly not the angry bear (nothing worse than an angry bear mount, nothing).

A similar type mount can be found in Anchorage sportsman wharehouse, the one next to the ammo section. Same type of deal, but this one is compleatly closed mouth.

PM your email, and I'll snap pictures of both for ya.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm still figuring what I'm gonna do with my full mount bear to.I'm with ya on the natural bear look on all fours.Seen a pic of a big bear my taxi did with the front half raised up on a log looking down at you with a half open mouth above a water scene with some trout.Want to do the same except change the trout to spawning salmon.Wish I could share the pic with you,It's the best bear mount I've seen besides the one in the anchorage airport chasing the deer in the mount.

OK,

Some things to think about.

Is it a Big Bear that you want to really show his Size ???

If so a Standing on hind feet slight turn to his body, SLIGHT open Mounth ( NOT A SNARL) or Closed Mouth. Put it on a 12 inch high or taller base.

The worst thing you can do is make a large bear look Small by Overly Large habitat bases & Diaramas Or by putting it in a pose that crumples him up, such as a Walking on all 4s with legs close together. MAKES them look alot smaller.

On the other hand , if it is an average size to smaller Browny, a Walking up or Down hill pose really enhances the Colors of the fur, ( Say it has a Blond back or Silver tips).
    As long as the habitat fits the pose selected.

Make SURE Your taxidermist knows how to alter the form to the pose you want rather than taking a standard walking on all 4s & just elivated the front or behind.
    The mount will be out of balance & not look right. Just moving the head up or down just doesnt do it although we see it all the time.

Make sure your taxidermist knows how to alter the form to fit the skin. We are redoing 2 lifesize bears now that the guy just bought 2 mannikins & threw the skins on, Wrinkles everywhere from the skin not fitting properly & looks like a gunny sack on a rock.

The skin should be a good fit without wrinkles , but Not a stay puff marshmelow either.

Also there are Several mannikins on the market that the heads are Way too small for alot of the coastal Brownys. be sure he test fits before just mounting it.

Next Yes Looking at Videos & photos of Real Live bears is the best way to come up with ideas, But Make sure your taxidermist can make it do that.

There are not a lot of action poses for large Grizzlies so he will have to knw how to alter to the pose again.

I NEVER show form books for poses, I would rather listen to a small part of the huntring story & try to incorporate the mount into his story, ( With his approval), I usually draw a photo of the mount as he is telling me what he is thinking about, then the drawings are put on his contract so we are both on the same page before mounting or even buying the form.
    Next is give him a Kill area shot so he can see exactly what colors the rocks, grass or dirt are when you killed it to match as close as possible.
    This will also let him see if the browny has a dish face or large contours of the head that a lot of mannikins do not have.

Nothing worst than a customer coming back after the mounting with photos that show exactly opposit of what you have.

OOPS
    anouther thing.
    Look at the skin, Does it have large scar absesse areas that you dont want on the show side, or maybe a rub on the butt that you might want towards the wall ???

Lots of things to think about but YOU have to look at it for ever where the taxidermist will only be looking at it for about a month.

Get EVERY detail worked out ahead of time so You will be hjappy with what you are paying for.

RJ Simington

DSCF5678.jpgKlaja griz with RJ.jpgThe first bear is a Xtra large Interior Grizz, The larger one is a Big coastal Brown bear.

Just to give ya a couple of examples.

RJ Simington

Talking

Great advice from RJ. He mounts a lot of these majestic beasts, and has lots of experience.

This is probably "elementary", but you mentioned a "substantial" base. As such, make sure you take measurements (to include ceiling height) of the area you intend to place the display. That will drive the dimensions of the base, and may influence the pose. Don't forget to measure the entry door(s) and hallways that you will have as ingress/egress points. You don't want to spend thousands on a great mount and habitat, just to find it's too big to get into your house and you end up displaying it in your local airport :-).

Finally, I recommend you ask your taxidermist to build the base frame with casters so the mount can be moved around your display area fairly easily. I usually place "bed casters" under my larger bases as they don't scratch floors, roll fairly easily on carpets, and can be easily removed later if the client wants to take them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Great advice from RJ. He mounts a lot of these majestic beasts, and has lots of experience.

This is probably "elementary", but you mentioned a "substantial" base. As such, make sure you take measurements (to include ceiling height) of the area you intend to place the display. That will drive the dimensions of the base, and may influence the pose. Don't forget to measure the entry door(s) and hallways that you will have as ingress/egress points. You don't want to spend thousands on a great mount and habitat, just to find it's too big to get into your house and you end up displaying it in your local airport :-).

Finally, I recommend you ask your taxidermist to build the base frame with casters so the mount can be moved around your display area fairly easily. I usually place "bed casters" under my larger bases as they don't scratch floors, roll fairly easily on carpets, and can be easily removed later if the client wants to take them off.
    Thanks, I had planned on the casters. With the base I am planning custom cherry maybe 3x5 or so, maybe have some walnut as well as my house is all trimmed in cherry 6.5 baseboard and 8 inch crown. No problem with acces into house.

Has anyone seen the full mount bear at the airport in Sitka? It has a moose kill buried under some brush under it. The face and overall mount it outstanding. I will try to get a pic next time I go through there.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Has anyone seen the full mount bear at the airport in Sitka? It has a moose kill buried under some brush under it. The face and overall mount it outstanding. I will try to get a pic next time I go through there.
    What's the story about the bear in your avatar? The head on that guy looks huge!

It was last years Kenai hunt before the registration started my wife's uncle drew the db 309 tag and we took this guy. Picture looks bigger than it was but that's the way we like it. Measured at eight foot five. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359270780.817444.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    It was last years Kenai hunt before the registration started my wife's uncle drew the db 309 tag and we took this guy. Picture looks bigger than it was but that's the way we like it. Measured at eight foot five. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359270780.817444.jpg
    Pic of mount?