Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Bushrat ~ Good news on the way for wood bison?

Default Hey Bushrat ~ Good news on the way for wood bison?

Lets keep our fingers crossed Mark!

http://www.adn.com/2013/01/16/275475...troducing.html
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Nice!!!!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I started a thread on this in the game management forum a couple of days ago, and Mark chimed in over there with his take:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d-Bison-update

i have woods by my house, not sure why they had such a hard time finding somewhere to put them. i'll take a dozen.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default wood Bison

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i have woods by my house, not sure why they had such a hard time finding somewhere to put them. i'll take a dozen.
    so it's for subsistence and ??? don't you think that this will be to easy to get!! took me 20 years to get my first one!! bet it will be for special people only!!! But then are we not we all special!!!!

Tlingitwarrior,

Thanks, I'm waiting to see the draft. And I'll get with Rep. Dick and others on things and see if it meets their approval if it doesn't get changed after public comments. Keeping fingers crossed we can get some bison to the Innoko at least in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
    so it's for subsistence and ??? don't you think that this will be to easy to get!! took me 20 years to get my first one!! bet it will be for special people only!!! But then are we not we all special!!!!
    Whoa sounds like someone's bitter.....I know folks that have been putting in 30+ years and haven't drawn yet..... Get over yourself and keep this on track, be happy that you have had the opportunity that so many others have not and may not ever get to experience.

Release Lake Trout

[QUOTE=bushrat;1233690]

Mark- clean out your mailbox!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Will the bison at the Portage center be the ones that will be transplanted up there...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Will the bison at the Portage center be the ones that will be transplanted up there...???
    Yes. The plan was to quarantine them in Portage only long enough to ensure they were disease free... Instead, they've been stuck there for 3+ extra years while a bunch of children bicker over petty politics.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Whoa sounds like someone's bitter.....I know folks that have been putting in 30+ years and haven't drawn yet..... Get over yourself and keep this on track, be happy that you have had the opportunity that so many others have not and may not ever get to experience.
    I am one of those who have been applying for 35+ years and yet to be drawn. If those in charge can somehow see fit to put politics aside and make the reintroduction come to pass, it may just add another bison herd for me to throw $ at each season after they reach huntable numbers-that is if I am still alive .

I originaly thought the "stocking" was to be north of Fairbanks, but the reports I've seen/heard recently have all said SW Alaska???

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I originaly thought the "stocking" was to be north of Fairbanks, but the reports I've seen/heard recently have all said SW Alaska???
    Yukon Flats was plan A; shot down by BS politics... Minto Flats was Plan B; shot down by BS politics. We've been fighting BS politics on Plan C (Innoko Flats) for a long time now. More here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d+bison+update
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yukon Flats was plan A; shot down by BS politics... Minto Flats was Plan B; shot down by BS politics. We've been fighting BS politics on Plan C (Innoko Flats) for a long time now. More here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d+bison+update
    I want to see them released as much as anyone. But I disagree with chacterizing it as "BS politics".
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

This is a sensitive issue here. Where to release them and who gets to hunt them? Why where they whiped out before?
    I would be hard press to think they would only allow subsitance and not allow the public a chance draw for them. Either way they will be monitored very hard... I can almost bet on it, the first person to take one of these illegally will be made an example of...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    This is a sensitive issue here. Where to release them and who gets to hunt them?
    A couple things are certain. They can't hold them down there in that glorified feed lot indefinitely; they've already been there three years longer than intended. And if people continue to selfishly argue petty politics about where they get released, NOBODY will get to hunt them ANYWHERE, EVER.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Tlingitwarrior,

Thanks, I'm waiting to see the draft. And I'll get with Rep. Dick and others on things and see if it meets their approval if it doesn't get changed after public comments. Keeping fingers crossed we can get some bison to the Innoko at least in 2014.
    Not sure Rep. Dick still works in the legislature...

Alaska House of Representatives, District 38, General Election, 2012
    Party Candidate Vote % Votes
    Democratic David Guttenberg Incumbent 45.5% 2,894
    Republican Alan S. Dick Incumbent 40.6% 2,583
    Independent Dorothy J. Shockley 13.5% 857
    Write-in Write-in 0.3% 21
    Total Votes 6,355

Yes, I had forgotten that Alan Dick didn't get reelected, thanks for the reminder.

FYI to all, there is another thread on this in the game mgmt forum, and the USFWS draft plan has been posted there by Brian. Encourage everyone interested to read it and send in comments. And to Gary, if this ever goes through, when the herd grows large enough to allow some hunting, there will definitely be some draw opportunity for all. Will be very limited of course.

#Resist

Innoko???!'holy crud talk about an expensive hunt with low success. Not being to call one in or climb a hill to glass is gonna make shooting s bison out there ridiculous hard. Be cheaper to go to farewell....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast