Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help.what powder to use for a 375 H&H

Default need help.what powder to use for a 375 H&H

hello,im going to buy a couple pounds of powder to reload 375 H&H that will be shot from a Winchester classic model 70.i will be reloading 270gr balls and 300gr also,i wanted to see what all of you are using to reload.any info would be appreciated. thanks bob

Quote Originally Posted by bowmaster View Post
    hello,im going to buy a couple pounds of powder to reload 375 H&H that will be shot from a Winchester classic model 70.i will be reloading 270gr balls and 300gr also,i wanted to see what all of you are using to reload.any info would be appreciated. thanks bob
    Reloader 15.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

My preference is RL-15, has been for years. However, I've recently been working up loads with RL-17 and find that I get a little more velocity, if that's important to you. But the jury is still out on the latter as it's work in progress.

Hard to beat RL-15 for proven data. H-4350 is a solid performer too. If I were to start a new load I would take a swing at RL-17, it works great in the slightly larger 375 Ruger case. The next 375 H&H I get my hands on will try RL-17.

I have had really good luck with hornady 300gr. round nose and RL-15, makes a good sight in/deer/shoot on the cheap load. I have had luck with 4064 and some partitions too.

thanks guys for the info,what primers are you using with the RL-15.

thanks guys for the info,what primers are you using with the RL-15.
    I use magnum primers because 75+ grains is a lot of powder to ignite. I do not think it essential, but that is what I'm doing.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've always used large rifle magnum primers in my loads. Develop the load data with the primer that you want to use and don't substitute unless you drop down a bit to ensure safe pressures with your particular load/bullet combination. I find that some primers are pretty much interchangeable others can get you in an unsafe situation unless you work up the load with the brass, primer, bullet and powder combination of your choice.

They made magnum primers for a reason. Use them in any magnum to insure a proper light off. Some people use them in smaller cases when using ball powder in cold weather. Most loads in excess of 57grs of charge reference magnum primers. My preference is CCI 250's, other opinions may vary...

Default Re: need help.what powder to use for a 375 H&H

Imr 4064 is a consistant powder for me.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

RL-15, magnum primers and 270grn TSX's. It is the best combination that I have found for my rifle, and it is has taken many moose and a few grizz.

right now it is a pain trying to find primers and powder,i got to make a few calls to verify they have powder in stock.what about alliant RL-19 and RL-25 they say RL-19 for heavy rifle and RL-25 is for heavy magnum rifles also looked at Vihtavouri what do you think of theses powders.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Imr 4064 is a consistant powder for me.

Ron
    Same here, especially for lightweights like the 235-gn Speer and some 270-gn pills. I've had better luck with IMR-4320 with 300's and the 270's that don't seem to like 4064. Always worth testing both powders. Gotta say, I never felt the need for mag primers with either. Chrono results are nice and consistent.

Last time I was in a shop there was a blank spot where the RL-15 was supposed to be, but half a dozen dusty cans of 4064 and 4320 ignored by the guys ahead of me. Nice to have alternatives, but you're likely to find blank spots too if you come behind me looking for 4064 and 4320. Lotta rounds like those two powders, even if they are kinda old school.

right now it is a pain trying to find primers and powder,i got to make a few calls to verify they have powder in stock.what about alliant RL-19 and RL-25 they say RL-19 for heavy rifle and RL-25 is for heavy magnum rifles also looked at Vihtavouri what do you think of theses powders.
    I've not tried either of those choices with my 375H&H. I've used RL-19 with 30-06 to some success. I've not used RL-25 (RL-22 with 257 WBY). RL-15 is a match made in heaven for the 375H&H and 270grn bullets (IMO). THat said, I have had some success with IMR 4320 and 300grn bullets, but not consistently. The ballistics on the 270's are every bit what the 300's offer and flatter. Find some RL-15 and buy a keg of it when you do. The burn rate on Varget may be close to RL-15, but check it out youself to see if my memory is correct...other guys here may have an opinion about that as well...obviously stick with published reloading data.

Good luck

They will work but they're really to slow for in the 375H&H with any bullet weight. Better to load a slow powder than a fast powder when you're in a pinch but you shouldn't run out and waste your money on the wrong combination of components.

RL-19 would be better than RL-25 but would still be a compressed load with poor velocity. RL-25 is better suited for large Ultra Mag cases with greater than 90gr charges.

I'm away from my data right now but I'm guessing you won't see those powders selected in any manuals for the 375H&H.

well I ordered 10 pounds of RL-15 I don`t know when I will get it,didn`t talk to anyone ordered online and it did not say it was out or back ordered and also found Winchester large magnum primers so I ordered 5000 hoping I get them soon.again thanks for all the help.

In my experience the Winchester large magnum primers are a bit "hotter" than say for example Fed 215, CCI 250 or Rem 9 1/2. They will work just fine, however, if the load data you're referencing is from data with something other than the Winchester primers work them up with this in mind and you'll have a safe combination in your rifle.

In reference to Marhsall's comments below, I tried RL-19 in some of my initial load development and was unhappy with the results compared to RL-15 so I abandoned the effort.

well I got 5lbs of RL-15 and 1000 Winchester large magnum primers and 1000 cci#250 primers,also picked up 3 boxes of nosler accubond 260gr.now im set to do some reloading to find that magic receipe for the 375 h&h.and thanks again for all the help.

I have three .375 H&H - Remington, a Winchester and a custom built rifle (Whitworth action, Shilen barrel, Timney trigger and Brown Precision stock). All 3 absolutely prefer Winchester 760. The custom likes 78 grains and the other two seem to prefer 76.5. I have tried a variety of primers and it seems that the Rem 9 1/2 M gives the most consistent chrono readings and best accuracy.

I have not had much luck with RL-15, but have had decent results with IMR 4064. I have had the best performance with Winchester cases, but the difference was minimal. I use the Hornady 270 grain for black bear,deer and caribou; the 300 gr Sierra BT for moose and goats; and the 300 grain Nosler partitions for big bear.

The .375 H&H is absolutely my favorite round. It is inherently accurate, the recoil is manageable and it has never failed me in over 25 years of annual use in Alaska.

H-4350 with 300 grain swift a-frames is devastating. It's the only load I use for my 375h&h. Fed 215's and 79 grains, and I crimp every shell.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast