Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoLite Sale

Default GoLite Sale

Just wanted to let you all know that Golite is havng a sale on their tents again.... http://www.golite.com/tents
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dang you...stop tempting me! I might need to pick up an SL-3 without a nest this time. I got an SL-5 with nest last year, but after playing around with it a bit I ended up leaving it at home and borrowing a friend's SL-3 for our sheep hunt instead.

(Edit: Nevermind - looks like they're out of stock on the SL-3, and it also looks like they are only selling it as the complete setup. I really just want the flysheet.)

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Just wanted to let you all know that Golite is havng a sale on their tents again.... http://www.golite.com/tents
    They are out of stock on all of them.... ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    They are out of stock on all of them.... ****.
    Really?.....sorry I didn't check first. I'm on their email list so I just received the notice today and wanted to share. Brian, I sure hope I get to use my SL3 more this year....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It does say available early spring 2013

So I wonder if they will still offer these prices once they get stock again. I can offer sheets of 3/4 plywood for .05 cents per sheet when I don't have any.

I sent a email for more details and this is what I got this morning:

We are re-launching much of our shelter line this Spring, so the only shelters currently featured on our website that will be available this year are the Shangri-La 3 and Shangri-La 5. The Spring 13 pricing is expected to be 249.99 and 299.99 respectively. The next re-stock for these (as well as the arrival of our new shelters) is expected around March 1. Full pricing should be available sometime in February. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Brian Esquibel
    Customer Service Representative
    303 / 339-2306 direct
    888 / 5-GOLITE toll free

If any of you are members on the Ultralight Backpacking forum, they have a very active for sale section where I constantly see Shang-ri-la tents for sale. It could be a resource for those currently waiting on Go-Lite to get them back into stock.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    If any of you are members on the Ultralight Backpacking forum, they have a very active for sale section where I constantly see Shang-ri-la tents for sale. It could be a resource for those currently waiting on Go-Lite to get them back into stock.
    Do have a link for the forum? There is one on eBay but after emailing the seller there is no way I would ever buy anything from them.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Dang you...stop tempting me! I might need to pick up an SL-3 without a nest this time. I got an SL-5 with nest last year, but after playing around with it a bit I ended up leaving it at home and borrowing a friend's SL-3 for our sheep hunt instead.
    So what you're saying is: if I need to borrow an SL-5 next year, you've got a loaner. Thanks Brian!

Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I asked on their Facebook page about bringing back the sl8 still no plans for that but they did say they are going to have some new freestanding tents coming out this year. I have the 5 and if you didn't have to buy the nest too I would probably get a 3 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    So what you're saying is: if I need to borrow an SL-5 next year, you've got a loaner. Thanks Brian!

Rich
    You're certainly welcome to it, Rich. I'm sure I'll use it, but I don't think it'll be going on the sheep hunt this year.

I have to admit I'm pretty confused by the things Golite does. They've listed their new spring/summer products on the website and it isn't what I expected (though it is hard to actually find the new stuff, I only knew about it because they made a facebook announcement with no link...doh). You can see the new products here.

If anything, since they did popularize a lot of lightweight products, I expected more "mass produced" adaptations of cottage industry innovations. Things like new quilt-style sleeping bags (seem they've gotten rid their only quilt, or at least haven't improved it at all), Cuben accessories like gloves and stuff sacks (too expensive to offer large cuben items yet, but accessories can be affordable), a few items with water resistant down, and more options of lightweight tarps and tipis.

Instead, they've offered more standard-style sleeping bags which aren't really lightweight or an improvement over other bags in weight or price, a few light-ish weight freestanding tents which resemble every other tent at REI, and no new accessories. What market are they trying to hit? They must either be really struggling, or just completely mismanaged, or both. Seems like they don't want to become associated with hunters or something, or else they'd start advertising to us.

I managed to purchase both an SL3 and an SL5 for cheap last winter and have used them extensively, and I attach one of their large odyssey packs (90L; which they also quit selling...) to a packframe for my hike-in hunts. I have a bad feeling that this might be the last thing I purchase from them. I was really hoping the spring products would have a realtively cheaper, lightweight, water resistant down quilt. Don't they associate with Andrew Skurka? Seems like he would push them to make more products like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're certainly welcome to it, Rich. I'm sure I'll use it, but I don't think it'll be going on the sheep hunt this year.
    Brian, I'll trade ya my SL-3 for your SL-5 plus some $$$ if you are interested since you don't like yours. 4 oz more for 50% more space makes it a no brainer for me...but if you like the SL-3 more I'll be happy to accommodate.

AL, not to completly destroy your trade but......I prefer the SL3 for windy mountainous conditions. The stake out, guyline, and circular pyrymidal design is more durable in the wind. Not that a SL5 can't handle it. I've never really tested it. It's just I have tested an SL3 in windy mountainous conditions and it rocks!
    Such as this photo. The wind was fairly steady about 30 MPH with some gusts.

Chris,

You are right the SL-3 is better designed for winds, but I've had the Sl-5 in 40 mph gusts (measured with a wind-o-meter ) and it did just fine. No doubt the SL-3 would do better though with its lower profile. However, the fact that its 6 sided instead of 4 sided means that even though its 1/3 smaller than the Sl-5 its also got less useable space of what is there. All trade offs, but I think given the minimal weight penalty between teh two the SL-5 is the way to go...thus my trying to acquire two.

Are you interested in selling your SL-3?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Are you interested in selling your SL-3?
    Possibly yes

Go-lite sale is still going on and both the SL3 and 5 are in stock, just grabbed a 5...

Just ordered a SL-5. You can't order them w/o the nest anymore and the free shipping doesn't apply to AK. You can save some on shipping by having shipped to a P.O. Box or to a business address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast