Thread: Black Bear Hunting in June

Eagle River, AK

Default Black Bear Hunting in June

My brother and I are considering doing a black bear hunt in June. I'm looking for any advice on the best way to go about it. Here are the details:
    • We'll be starting from Anchorage
    • We'll have the entire month of June to work with
    • We have rifles and all necessary gear
    • Our primary method of transportation will be by road
    • We're looking to spend as little as possible, but we're willing to shell out some $$ if we need to hire a boat or book a drop-off somewhere.
    That's about all the pertinent info I can think of right now. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and good luck this season.

Default just my thoughts

Right off the bat I would say turnagain arm area, south of anchorage by about an hour, sit on the side of the road with good binocs, be prepared for brutal climbs in vegetation that is over your head.

Black bear hunting seems best when you have good eyes and good legs--unless you are a good caller like your dad!!

Eagle River/ Juneau

get willow creek resort to drive you up the skwetna a bit find a bear trail and wait, I gaurantee you will see bears.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Eagle River, AK

I would hike into the Kenai mountains via the Devil's Pass trail to where it hooks up with the Resurrection Trail. Lots of bears in there, great hiking, beautiful views, and even some lakes full of fish.