Thread: partner wanted for 40-mile bou in Salcha River drainage this week/weekend

Default partner wanted for 40-mile bou in Salcha River drainage this week/weekend

I was in this area on Monday. We did not see any caribou, but did see old and fresh tracks. My partners snowmobile broke so our hunt ended early.

I am looking for a partner with a reliable snowmobile to head back into the Salcha drainage with me.

This is the first time I have hunted this area. I am still discovering the area. I want to travel about 75 miles on the snowmobile on this trip.

Long story short--I am taking my .270 for a snowmobile ride. If we see bou--great--if not--it will be a great day in the Alaska Wilderness.

I do have my own snowmobile. I do not have a trailer. The place I unload the snowmobiles at has a ramp for off-loading a pickup.

I am available any day between now and the 21st of Jan. PM if interested. I am in North Pole.

The weekend temps are expected to be warm. I plan to take my son and gun for a snowmachine ride this Saturday. I would like to head out this Saturday if anyone else wants to go.

I am headed out Sunday if anyone wants to go along.

I will Be available next Friday through Monday as well. PM if interested.

Hey did you go? And if so, how did it go? Would be good to get out this weekend. Anyone know trail conditions out that way and up the river?

I did get out in the Salcha drainage area a couple weeks ago. The area I went in had zero fresh sign of bou. Great day of riding and saw some great new country.

I want to head to the Middle Fork of the Chena on Sunday 3 March if anyone is interested in going.

your box was full but yes to a snow berm and no to a ramp. i used the snow berm.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

I made it out Sunday to the Middle Fork. Saw (almost ran over) a heard of 30-40 bou .6 miles from the Tuechet Creek boundary. We had the entire drainage to ourselves. The bou are in the Middle Creek drainage in decent numbers--200ish animals based on fresh tracks. We saw fresh sign from 3 miles in to about 40 miles in. The bou are low--down in the thick stuff and the moose are up on the mountain sides. Saw a lot of fresh wolf sign. Almost every bou track had a wolf track in it.

We found two dead bou (one bull--one cow) on the river, the wolves had picked clean.

If I went again; I would pack for a 2-day trip. You have to almost run into the bou on the trail since visibilty is limited due to terrain. The trail is a lil rough at the beginning, but overall a very easy ride in. 1.5 hours from pullout at MP 45.5 to the Tuechet Creek hunt boundary.

Thank you much Kmagers for all your help.