Thread: Wood Bison update

Default Wood Bison update

It looks like some potential progress is being made in the long-delayed attempt to reintroduce wood bison to Alaska. According to the News-Miner, it seems that the Feds and the State are proposing an agreement that the new population will be deemed "non-essential and experimental" and will thus not carry with it the potential of critical habitat designations that may prevent future resource development. As this has been one of the causes for delay, this is potentially good news. Apparently the proposed rule will also allow the state to manage future hunting opportunities and other aspects of the herd's reintroduction and subsequent management.

Read more here: http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...a4bcf6878.html

That's good news for the bison, but it's a bit odd.

I thought the experimental/non-essential designation only applies to critters on the Endangered Species list. I didn't realize wood bison were ESA listed, since they exist primarily in Canada.

BTW, the experimental/non-essential designation is how wolves were reintroduced into the Northern Rockies (ID/MT/WY). Wolves were ESA listed but once they got the E/NE designation, regulatory flexibilty went down considerably. Presumably the bison will also have considerable regulatory flexibility.

Wood bison are listed as "threatened" under the ESA. The 10j rule was always what ADFG and Feds had agreed upon, so that is nothing new. The larger step is the feds agreeing that the state will manage any future harvests, and determine what those would be. Will be interesting to read the draft. Wish it would all go through before the next legislative session ends though...other wise we are likely waiting yet another year for legislators to give it the go-ahead.

I hope they don't put the bison on native land.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I hope they don't put the bison on native land.
    I hope they don't let white men hunt them.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I hope they don't let white men hunt them.
    Well. Hope this 3/4 white guy gets to some day lol.

I just hope all Alaskans get to hunt them someday

I hope they put them on land I don't have to pay some crooked organization to hunt them.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    I hope they put them on land I don't have to pay some crooked organization to hunt them.
    That was/is my point. Public land all the way.

Trackn all the way.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Bushrat forwarded this document to me and asked that I add it to this thread due to its large file size. He can chime in here and explain the details.Wood bison draft.pdf

Just turn them loose already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its an experment for cying outloud!!!

They have already cleared them of any forigen parisites, quite spending money on studies and turn them loose and then study them in the field. If it don't work, shoot them all, but **** I'm so tired of the money that goes out the window for all this sh-t. He-l there going to be so tame they won't know how to know who is a predator of who is not a threat.

Another positive step towards a possible reintroduction next year:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...uce-wood-bison

Default Not Wood Bison

http://uafcornerstone.net/new-geneti...ot-subspecies/

In fact they are not a subspecies but the Feds and State like to do "feel good projects" that displace native species, and lock up Federal Land (they have fenced off public land a moose travel corridor near Portage). Get these things out of the fence so we can start eating them.

yes and no. that research that you link to says directly that other researchers contradict this paper's assertion that its not a subspecies. Which researcher is right? Got me.

I'm not sure it matters in this case. Determining the taxonomic classification of this animal is important only if it is to be listed under the ESA. Which it's not. If the Feds and the State decide that something close to a wood bison once roamed the Great Land, and they decide to restore it, the specific taxonomic classification is irrelevant. Just put'em there and see what happens. Ideally, they would prosper in their new (old) home, and become common enough to hunt. Someday.

That avoids the regulatory concerns with the ESA, and allows a native species of wildlife back into their former home. If it does well, the hunters (of all varieties) will be happy. If that's not a win-win-win, I don't know what is.