Thread: Could be a good starter boat at a reasonable price...

Default Could be a good starter boat at a reasonable price...

At the Spokane Boat Show coming up end of month:

http://www.spokaneboatshow.com/2012%...phy%20Boat.pdf

These Bayline Trophy's are pretty common, friends I know with them love the ride and combination of fishability/cabin. At under $15K, not sure if a good deal or not, depends on condition for sure, and whether one wants to read all the posts on getting a boat to AK. It has a Chev 350 in it, so easy to get parts, same with Mercruiser outdrive...appears to be a rookie owner from the exclamation that you can actually get boat to plane with the motors

My wife and I picked up a 1983 Trophy 2459 in Seldovia two summers ago. I have had several boats while growing up but this was my sweethearts first experience in the salt. We have had several outstanding weeks spent out in PWS fishing and shrimping and becoming acquainted with our Trophy. I can attest to Cap'n Ron's characterizing of this boat as being a good starter to see if being out in PWS is what you want without killing the bank account. My sweetie was the one who suggested that we upgrade to a 2859 just for the comfort of more room, and a potty How can a guy say no to that?
    Last edited by greg01alaska; 01-16-2013 at 21:33. Reason: clarification

Looks like a good deal but what's up with the lower unit skeg? Appears they were trolling while on the trailer. So many used bayliners out there, it's a buyers market. Word to the wise, if considering one, look VERY closely at the bottom and inspect for pinholes or larger holes, most are hard if not impossible to see but after sandblasting or palm sanding & bottom painting 4 bayliners so far this winter, every one has had this issue, some holes as large as a pencil eraser, like there were defects or flaws when they mfg the boat. When we find these, we patch even the very small pinholes with glass stranded putty/filler.
    when I say look closely, I mean actually get on your back with a bright LED flashlight under the trailer. Most bayliners are of the chopper gun fiberglass variety, not hand laid material.
    Most of the holes seem to be located along the strakes.
    not a huge problem as long as everything is sealed up, but just something to be aware of.
    I think the 24's are a pretty good all round boat and great candidates for ditching the I/O's for a 4 stroke outboard on a bracket.

Well, that looks like good advice, Jim! Went back and looked at the pictures, this one appears to have been bottom painted, hope whomever did it was as conscientious as you...I had an old logging professor in Alabama (where all good expressions originate) that was fond of saying about axe handles "a little paint can cover a multitude of sins"---Yep!

Looked at that skeg, in appears that they lowered the unit in sand, rather that being flattened off as appears at first, skeg is buried in the sand, I think. Again, I think this is a rookie owner, hope they didn't have it long! I would certainly prefer outboards at this point, but my first boat was a sterndrive, and being older it needed regular work/repair til I got it right, and having lots of car engine experience, that 4-banger was pretty easy to work on (Mercruiser 485, by Chevy).

Looking elsewhere in the pics, I notice that the teak trim looks fresh, doesn't appear to be any "shore rash" on the keel or hull, rails and everything else look clean and straight, clean inside, etc. but then pictures can cover a multitude of sins too! Dining/V-berth look like new, so does the captains chair...It has been in the salt (Puget Sound near Seattle) so some extra things to check out, but seems worth a look, I sure would if I was in the market...just killing time in the winter here right now.

We have one (24' trophy) that's been sittin in the yard for a few years, they took out the I/O and had a really nice full width alumium extension made for the boat and hung a 250 etec on it. Opened up lots of deck room (eliminated the doghouse) and now have a hinged diamond plate lid that's flush with the deck to cover the acquired storage space. The boat also has a Dickinson stove in it; it's a shame it just sits year after year, needs some TLC as its not covered or anything.