Thread: Want to learn how to trap..

Default Want to learn how to trap..

Hello,
    I'm new to this site but I want to learn how to trap wolves and lynx. I have been seeing lynx sign near my house as well as wolf. I was out on the snow shoes and actually saw the wolves about five minutes from my cabin. Looking for someone in the Homer area that could give me some guidance on how to start trapping.

find a book store or go to the ATA's page.

buy the alaska trappers manual...the alaska wolf manual, and dvd. If you have to leave something out, leave the dvd out for now.

There is atleast up here a trapping class, there may be one down on the penn. I dont know, but I'd recommend it if you can find one.

Honestly I'd let the wolves be till you get the right gear and some experience. They're considered the phd level of trapping. Worst case scenerio you stick a load of snares out and stick a moose. Remember where the big dogs travel....they'll come through again! usually year after year! Cats are a much easier prospect to trap. No need to even bother boiling traps, or bedding them like you will for canines. Just keep the things from freezing down (spruce bows) set a walk through cubby and leave it be. Add some kind of attractor, red xmas bulb, silver/red cd etc.

The manuals will cover what you'll need to do...... good luck!

Supporting Member

Wolf Trapping school hosted by the Kenai chapter of the ATA on Feb. 9th and 10th in Soldotna. If you are interested, email me at spike9542003@yahoo.com and I will give you the contact info to sign up.

Thanks for the advice. I will do my homework and pick up the books. I will probably focus on the lynx for now as you recommended.
    Also thanks for the info on the class, I'll get in touch when I return from work in a few days. I'm bummed I'm going to miss being out there for a few days after the fresh snow we just got.

agree with above posts, don't educate those wolves anymore than you have to. when you put steel out you want it to be your final graded paper, not your first rough draft...
    lynx are fun, just because they aren't that bright...they are a cat. watch someones cat and you'e pretty much got it down....make things over obvious, stepping sticks can be pretty stinking big, traps can be pretty obvious, CD's and shiny stuff can be obvious...have fun!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the pointers! I'm just curious as to what you mean when you say cubby? Is it similar to what I would do when I was snaring rabbits by placing brush to direct the animal into the snare? I would be running a bunch of snares for rabbits normally but I just picked up another bow this summer and have been using that instead. My daughter loves to go with me and archery seems to realy hold her attention so I have been taking her on my evening hunts. It's a great way to keep in form during the down season too. Can't wait for spring bears and trying out the new tree stand!

Quote Originally Posted by seacowboy View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new to this site but I want to learn how to trap wolves and lynx. I have been seeing lynx sign near my house as well as wolf. I was out on the snow shoes and actually saw the wolves about five minutes from my cabin. Looking for someone in the Homer area that could give me some guidance on how to start trapping.
    Hey, call me when you get a chance. I'd Like to talk to ya. I am in Homer and trapped last year and just getting geared up for this year. Didn't set out for the opener for lynx b/c of the rain and man am I glad that I did not!
    I agree with what the other fellas say about the wolves. I went fot lynx last year and observed all I could on the wolves and am glad i didn't try trapping them. I would have taught them a few things. I am geared for them now but this rain and flooding is messing up what I have in store for them. Hopefully it stabilizes for the next few weeks.

509-290-9489

Hey baitfish22,
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get in touch next week, I head to jakilof bay as soon as the weather permits for a job. Hopefully after that I can dedicate some time to the other outdoor pursuits, the kind that don't involve boats....

there's two kinds of cubbies..ones a regular cubby the other's a walk through.

Basically a walk through cubby is a fenced trail choked down atleast at the entrance exits with a trap/snare placed at either end with attractors and/or bait in the middle, preferably both. Let them see in, but dont let them get in if you can help it. They'll figure out the entrance/exits.

A regular cubby is a pile of sticks with a hole in it with bait and an attractor above. put your trap directly below your attractor if the attractor is high enough they'll likely screw with it more than your cubby. You'll see this in the alaska trappers manual. I think this cubby gets refused more (walked around) than a walk through cubby. if you set this cubby set extra gear at the back or around the area for a possible pick up of refusals/doubles. cats eat cats, so if you set snares set multiples!!!

You can do the same thing with a marten pole set, set for marten, hang a wing off the end to attract and possibly pull a double off, or atleast double your chances at critters.....

Use the trap as guide sticks..use a 3x5 note card (x2 stapled together slipped over the pan) in white. gives them a nice landing place to step framed by steel jaws.

When using attractors use odd shapes that would stick out like a triangle, circle, etc. as this will catch their eye and if it moves so much the better. Cats can see purple, blue, green, white, black and varying shades of gray so keep that in mind when choosing a color for an attractor.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................