Thread: Metal Detectors

Default Metal Detectors

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, what is a good metal detector to start out a 10 yr old with? Would like one that works well and can find the majority of items without spending more than $300. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Check out http://www.kellycodetectors.com I started my grandson with a bounty hunter The trick is to find one that isn't to heavy for them.

Thanks, I will definitely look into the bounty hunter models. The little guy is really wanting one and I have to admit I think it would be a blast to go looking with him!

You can get anything in Anchorage for same as Kellyco less shipping from Florida. If I personally was buying a detector for less than $300 I would be looking at a Garrett Ace 250 or a Garrett Ace 150 for even less. I am a serious detectorist and I was surprised by how good the Ace 250 is for the money. And light enough for a kid.

Steve Herschbach
    Find me on Facebook
    Last edited by Steve Herschbach; 01-16-2013 at 07:16. Reason: Spelling

Thanks.for the info Steve, I will look into those. Where in anchorage do they carry detectors other than the ones I saw at sportsmans?

Alaska Mining & Diving
    Radio Shack
    Sears
    Sportsmans Warehouse
    Wal-Mart

Thanks, didn't thing of AK Mining and Diving will give them a look.

Default Garrett Ace 150

Thanks for the info Steve, I purchased the Garrett Ace 150. Seems like the perfect unit for my son to start with!

Great detector. Wish I had something that good when I was ten!

Steve Herschbach

The Ace series are good detectors. I just upgraded to a Whites MXT PRO primary because it has the gold finding mode. Doubt if I will strike it rich in Alaska but it will be fun to try. We are toying with the idea of selling our 17 foot Casita pull behind camper in Juneau or Skagway instead of towing it back to Iowa. Might even sell the Chevy pickup also, but I was planning on driving it more before trading off. Maybe I will see some of people from this forum when we are up there!!

Darn, all we are getting here is freezing rain, I'd like to try out my snowmobile!!

I agree that the Bounty Hunter is a good detector. The first time taking my Ultra Mag out in Eagle River I detected under the the Eagle River Loop bridge and found a homemade platinum ring with it. Had it paid off in the first year of use ($369.00 from Cabelas and it is camo my favorite color). My son uses it now as I have bought the Fisher F75 limited for myself.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/ lots of good info on this form.
    if you want light weight look at the Tesoro's also ck out their web site . Garrett has a news letter they put out also .
    Spend Lots of time on the above site Call the site sponsors and talk to them let them knon what your screen name is after you sign up .

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunternak View Post
    Thanks for the info Steve, I purchased the Garrett Ace 150. Seems like the perfect unit for my son to start with!
    e-mail sent good choice on Machines

Don't overlook older models either. The Garrett VLF/TR machines are phenomenal machines that still stack up well against modern machines despite being made in the 70's. They can be found much cheaper and if it does break send it to Garrett and they will give you a significant discount on a new machine if they can't fix it.

It will make them learn and build muscles but they will learn and build muscles and appreciate the new machines when they are ready to spend what they've found.

Or just get a PI machine and make them dig everything! That will teach them a lot too! And they will probably find more valuable stuff than most anyone that doesn't dig as many as deep (especially gold).

But I guess that makes me a masochist (and maybe a hypocrite as my kids have an ACE 250 now).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.