Thread: How long has AK had guide requirement?

Default How long has AK had guide requirement?

I'm just curious when Alaska started requiring a guide for certain species?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=andy+simons

take a look at this old thread ... I think I remember that being talked about ...

I believe it was before statehood and back then a guide was required for all species.

First there were federal guides and master guides and then state took over with their own set of numbers. It was the value of the bears that made the feds say stop the overkill no more free range killing by anyone that shows up here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I don't believe goats didn't made the list until around late 1980's or maybe 1990.

My great uncle was one of those federal guides in territorial days. He got licensed in 1951 so his cousin could come up and hunt moose with him. I believe, at that time, you needed a guide to hunt any big game if you weren't a resident of the territory. The precedent of guides required for non-residents has definitely been there since the beginning of statehood.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6