Thread: Teryx 4 or RZR 4? Need advice.

Default Teryx 4 or RZR 4? Need advice.

Need some advice friends. I have been looking for something for the family to have fun and enjoy the outdoors. I will also be using the UTV for hunting. I haven't been riding on any trails up here but from your experience, would the Teryx 4 or the Rzr 4 be better suited for Alaska riding? I don't care about super speed so thats not an issue. Thanks in advance for your advice!

while i DONT have either one of those, i have rode around them a bit and i have a rhino. Have you looked at the ranger 4 seater? If i had to buy a "big" side by side i would do the big ranger. I think its called the ranger crew. I have seen it in action and it seems to do pretty good considering its size. The pro of having a 4 seater is that if you are hunting with it you have alot more room. Con is its alot longer and wont be as easy to handle and may have more difficult time climbng over so stuff or trying to turn in tight quarters. If we lived near the desert and had that kind of riding i would get the rzr 4 seater, but i think the ranger is better suited to alaska better.

Appreciate it shayno. Another question I had was are there many 50" only trails in alaska? I would hate to get something and then not be able to use it.

Default Teryx 4 or RZR 4? Need advice.

With the big machines, there are definitely places in AK where you won't be able to use them. In my neck of the woods, we have a boardwalk over the swamps, and the Rhino is the only one narrow enough to use it without breaking the ends of the boards off. Also, the longer the wheelbase, the more likely you are to get stuck in mud/ muskeg. I've only ever been stuck in my rhino when I got high centered in mud. I've never ridden my SXS anywhere other than the southern Kenai Pen. So YMMV.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was mainly looking at riding around the knik, sutton, denali highway, or other areas around the interior/ south central. My wife is very skiddish about riding an atv alone especially with one of the kids and I wont put a 4 seater conversion on a regular sxs. Thats why Im set on a 4 seater. The kawi is 85" wb, rzr is 103" and he ranger crew is 108". Is the 13" going to make a huge difference? Rode a regular rzr yesterday at jim's creek yesterday and although the family loved it, the kids hated having to wait lol. Hoping owners of 4 seaters could throw in their two cents. Again, thank you for the advice and info.

For load carrying and slower riding the Ranger is a great machine. So is the Rhino. The RZR is definitely aimed at the sport riding market. Faster, lower to the ground, etc. If you look at a new Polaris you'll find Rangers and RZRs in mid size or full size models. I prefer the big ones. Guys on narrower trails may prefer the narrow ones. To each their own.

You asked teryx4 vs rzr4 if those are your choices I'd say rzr4 hands down (longer wheelbase, ground clearance, suspension, power, etc).....unless price matters, the teryx is definitely cheaper...

If you are willing to expand your scope, I'd say if you will be primarily hunting/camping/hauling any weight/volume then go Ranger, if you will be primarily day tripping with the family pleasure riding then go rzr....I couldn't decide so I have both and use them pretty equally with my family of 4....

You can do pretty much anything with any of the machines, it comes down primarily to budget and preference....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks! I have been looking at the rangers as well. The sxs will be more for family day trips but also the ability to hunt with it as well. Either way, I will need to get a roof rack for the rzr or beef up the ranger. My butt staying dry in the ranger cuz of a mud hole also sounds nice.

there is definatley places where 13" will make go or no go. For what your going to do with it i bet either machine will work fine. Theres better aftermarket support for the ranger or rzr imo. keep us updated with what you get.

For a 4 seater I would take a serious look at the Teryx, I love the Rangers but the crew is too long, horrible break over. Go by Team CC in Eagle River, they offered to let me take a spin in a Teryx but I declined. They've improved the engine output which was pretty decent and several other areas as well. My choice would be either the Teryx or Razor 4 900. Cost is an issue the Teryx without a doubt. I believe the Teryx is more dependable regardless. Check the ATV mags, there are some good write ups on both.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    If you are willing to expand your scope, I'd say if you will be primarily hunting/camping/hauling any weight/volume then go Ranger, if you will be primarily day tripping with the family pleasure riding then go rzr....I couldn't decide so I have both and use them pretty equally with my family of 4....

You can do pretty much anything with any of the machines, it comes down primarily to budget and preference....
    I know you asked about two other machines but for what you described and the area that you are going to frequent, the Ranger 800 Crew is IMO your machine. It's geared properly to haul 6 adults, gear, etc. The Ranger Crew's top speed is under 45 mph. The RZR's top speed is like 70+ What this means to you is that if you get the RZR and are hunting (hauling camping gear, meat, extra fuel, etc.) you will have to do 30 mph+ to get through the mud because the RZR is not necessarily geared for towing or churning through mud. Whereas the Ranger is plenty fast when the trail is smooth and plenty strong when your hauling or towing gear. RZR's and similar machines are not IMO designed as utility machines, then are designed to go fast, soak up the bumps and provide a dune buggy style ride.

Ranger Crew 800 most payload, most towing capability, most passengers of any UTV. And at 60" wide I wouldn't worry at all about NOT being able to go where you want. Its' Alaska, push a tree down, cut a tree down, or just go around, up, over whatever. Unless you plan on hunting dense SE forest the 60" is not going to bother you. I have a 2010 Ranger 6X6 and I ride all the places you ride, including the woods and swamps behind Talkeetna and I've never found a trail too narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I know you asked about two other machines but for what you described and the area that you are going to frequent, the Ranger 800 Crew is IMO your machine. It's geared properly to haul 6 adults, gear, etc. The Ranger Crew's top speed is under 45 mph. The RZR's top speed is like 70+ What this means to you is that if you get the RZR and are hunting (hauling camping gear, meat, extra fuel, etc.) you will have to do 30 mph+ to get through the mud because the RZR is not necessarily geared for towing or churning through mud. Whereas the Ranger is plenty fast when the trail is smooth and plenty strong when your hauling or towing gear. RZR's and similar machines are not IMO designed as utility machines, then are designed to go fast, soak up the bumps and provide a dune buggy style ride.

Ranger Crew 800 most payload, most towing capability, most passengers of any UTV. And at 60" wide I wouldn't worry at all about NOT being able to go where you want. Its' Alaska, push a tree down, cut a tree down, or just go around, up, over whatever. Unless you plan on hunting dense SE forest the 60" is not going to bother you. I have a 2010 Ranger 6X6 and I ride all the places you ride, including the woods and swamps behind Talkeetna and I've never found a trail too narrow.
    agreed. One thing to posibly consider is that the ranger probably has a easier resale in alaska as its a great hunting setup.