Thread: Permit Question

Default Permit Question

Good Evening,

Well I am planning my next Alaska trip and I actually had recieved a lot of great info from you guys a year or so back on this trip (black bear hunt in Chugach Forest). However I keep running into something I am not sure about when I look at the different camp grounds along the Seward Hwy on line. My plan is to stay at a couple of these campgrounds while I hunt. However, each campground says "permit required" under the hunting information. Is this a permit besides the AK hunting license and bear tag (my question mark key quit working on the keyboard).

Thanks,
    TH

I'm assuming that it simply means that you need to pay a camping fee. During the time you're going to be hunting, it is highly unlikely that the campgrounds will be full. You'll just fill out a little card indicating your campsite number and number of days, include payment, and put it in the brown metal box. There are a couple of campsites that have manned payment booths, but that's primarily only during June-August due to fishing season. You should be fine.

Brian,

Don't some of the campgrounds close their gates during the "off-season"? I thought I had noticed some of them along the highway on the drive from Seward. Not a big problem to just go on down the road to the next one.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by tex hunter View Post
    Good Evening,

Well I am planning my next Alaska trip and I actually had recieved a lot of great info from you guys a year or so back on this trip (black bear hunt in Chugach Forest). However I keep running into something I am not sure about when I look at the different camp grounds along the Seward Hwy on line. My plan is to stay at a couple of these campgrounds while I hunt. However, each campground says "permit required" under the hunting information. Is this a permit besides the AK hunting license and bear tag (my question mark key quit working on the keyboard).

Thanks,
    TH
    TH, If your going to be in the Moose Pass area stop by my place, I have a couple acres on Trail River so plenty of room for you to set up camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    Brian,

Don't some of the campgrounds close their gates during the "off-season"? I thought I had noticed some of them along the highway on the drive from Seward. Not a big problem to just go on down the road to the next one.

Randy
    Many of the state trailhead parking lots and campgrounds do "close" for the winter. This usually runs from sometime in October to sometime in May, but changes somewhat depending on the weather that particular year.

I believe some "state" campgrounds do close, BUT some stay open, with no maintenance (garbage collection & toilets are closed). On the Kenai, both Quartz Creek and Hidden Lakes (federal campgrounds) have one of their loops open (again - no services). Snow eventually closes those open - no plowing done either. Usually there are NO charges for camping after the weekend following Labor Day - on those portions still open. Private campgrounds almost always are closed shortly after Labor Day.

The trip will take place sometime around mid September. I just wanted to make sure the permit required wasn't something else besides the campground permit. Do you think the campgrounds would be open that time of year? I just want to make sure I have some where to pitch the tent. Some of the campgrounds say reservation required others do not. Logman, I will definitely take you up on that offer.

Lots of places to camp, most of them are not marked as well as they are down there in texasville! Are you looking for a toilet? You may be more comfortable in a campground but I would suggest finding some public land or taking logman up on his offer. I have used some of the campgrounds and they are alright but I prefer a little more off the path. Best of luck to you.