Thread: Early caribou hunt in 2014

Default Early caribou hunt in 2014

I been researching for a while on my next trip to AK in 2014, for another DIY hunt. We will be driving all the way from Kansas, again, as this is part of the adventure and we enjoy seeing the different landscapes, from the lower 48 midwest states, through the Canadian proviences, the Yukon, and of course Alaska.

Due to my son's teaching and coaching duties, we are forced to do an early season hunt during the last part of July/early August.
    At this time there will be 3 of us, possibly looking for a fourth person. The only viable options I see for us is in Unit 26 A, B, or C, and maybe 25A. My research has concentrated mainly on 26C, as that should be the best area to catch the migration off the calving grounds.

My question here is for input from anyone that has done an early season hunt in this area, or suggestions for any other areas. I was wondering about being dropped by float plane on Lake Schrader/Lake Peters, or somewhere in that locality. Also, any input about transporters that service this area would be much appreciated.

In 2010 we had a successful DIY hunt on the Middle Fork of the 40-Mile River, and hope to go back to that area again someday, but looking forward to seeing what the North Slope of the Brooks Range looks like.
    Knute

As my father has stated,this will be our second hunt in Alaska. Taking a B&C bou is not our goal. Those of you who have read our thread about our 2010 hunt know that we come to Alaska to take in the pristine landscape, adventure, and a to fill our freezer if we get the chance. As stated above, the reason for an early hunt is because I teach high school English and coach football in Southwest Kansas.

We have found minimum information regarding early season bou hunts on the North slope. What information we found suggests that the herd should be moving from the calving grounds at this time. As regulations stand it doesn't look like we would be able to take any wolves until Aug 10th, which is might be nearing the very end of our hunt; at least for me. But if regulations would happen to change, we would gladly help in predator control if given the chance.

We are not looking for a guide; we are not looking for anyone to plan our hunt for us.

We are looking for some fellow outdoors men to give input if they have any knowledge on whether an early season hunt is a good idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and we would gladly assist anyone who would ever come to Kansas to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by MFOX View Post
    As my father has stated,this will be our second hunt in Alaska. Taking a B&C bou is not our goal. Those of you who have read our thread about our 2010 hunt know that we come to Alaska to take in the pristine landscape, adventure, and a to fill our freezer if we get the chance. As stated above, the reason for an early hunt is because I teach high school English and coach football in Southwest Kansas.

We have found minimum information regarding early season bou hunts on the North slope. What information we found suggests that the herd should be moving from the calving grounds at this time. As regulations stand it doesn't look like we would be able to take any wolves until Aug 10th, which is might be nearing the very end of our hunt; at least for me. But if regulations would happen to change, we would gladly help in predator control if given the chance.

We are not looking for a guide; we are not looking for anyone to plan our hunt for us.

We are looking for some fellow outdoors men to give input if they have any knowledge on whether an early season hunt is a good idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and we would gladly assist anyone who would ever come to Kansas to hunt.
    If you want to hunt caribou in mid-summer, they are going to be closer to the Arctic Ocean at that point. If you're planning to drive right to where you start hiking, you can probably plan on going to within 30 miles of the coast on the haul road. Landscape is flat and characterized by numerous swamps and lakes. Probably easier to get dropped off at a north-flowing river by plane on the north side of the range, with a raft, and do it as a float hunt.

I am from western Canada and can answer any questions you may have on that area as the time approaches...

Thanks for you input northernalberta. We do plan to do a drop hunt on the North Slope, and a float hunt has been talked about as well.

I missed you guys in Tok last time. It's good to hear you are coming back for more and driving besides. I often tell hunters to drive up but they think I'm nuts.

One thought on an early Slope hunt......BUGS!

VernAK and northernalberta, thanks for the replys. We have talked about a float hunt, but we have very limited experience with rafts. I also no that bugs will be a nuisance that time of year, as well as meat care being a concern. These are hurdles that we will have to overcome, as this time of year is really our only option.

After this hunt I have full intentions on returning again in a couple of more years to do another moose hunt. Maybe I can hook up with you then, Vern. Knute

Last summer, during the second week of August (6-11) a buddy and I went up the Haul road with our bows. One the 7th it snowed and killed the bugs and it stayed around 50 degrees all week. The colder air brought the bou down from the coast and they moved nicely all week. Drop hunt would be cool as would a float trip, but they might not be necessary, especially if you are already driving up from Kansas with the price of gas...just a thought. Do you have an archery hunt certification?

stvnshnn, I'm not a bow hunter, but my son and his friend (Jake), that will be doing this hunt with us, are bow hunters, and they plan on bringing one bow between them. Concentrating my research on the Schrader Lake area, or one of the tributaries in that vicinity. We feel the Porcupine herd coming off of the calving grounds would be our best bet. Knute