Thread: Is there any snow, anywhere?

Default Is there any snow, anywhere?

At least within a few hours of Anchorage? Eureka?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Friends drove thru the blizzard in eureka sunday night. No confirmation on how much they got though. Denali hwy is reporting a good amount of new stuff.

Rode lost lake area by Seward tons of snow. On saturday 12 Jan it was raining at the trail head but snowing like crazy in the high country tons of deep fresh powder. Trail is rough until you pass the forest service cabin.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    At least within a few hours of Anchorage? Eureka?
    South of Anchorage: Find elevation! Carter/Crescent Lake or Lost Lake are your best options. LOTS of snow in those areas, but got word that the colder temps of the last couple days has put a hard crust on things.

Parks Highway: I saw the Hatcher Pass snotel report about 3' of new snow over the weekend. The area hasn't opened up yet though. On the Willow side, I don't know what elevation the rain/snow line was at, but there may be some riding in higher elevations, possibly around Purches. Further North, Kenny Creek Lodge (Petersville) got around 2 1/2' over the weekend. Their depth stick is sitting just under 4' now and they are reporting that it is currently snowing. The Curry Ridge Riders groomer is reporting that the colder weather turned the top couple of inches to hard crust. To get into soft snow you need to get to about 1,500' elevation. Trails getting back to the hills have been groomed this week.

Glenn Hwy: Sheep Mountain lodge should be giving their weekly update tomorrow. Their last report (1/10th) said not much snow for snowmachines, but Eureka Lodge had been out grooming trails. Trails are decent, getting off trails was still a little thin. Hopefully they got some good snow this week. Check www.sheepmountain.com tomorrow.

Good luck and have fun. We will likely be heading towards Petersville this weekend and making a V-Line to the Hills.

Thinking of heading to lost lake in the morning. I am taking a newbie rider. I only have 136 inch tracks, one touring one summit (1996 models).

How hard is getting up the trails into lost lake from Primrose (mi 17 on the seward)? How steep - and how deep is the powder now?

Would really appreciate a report tonight if anyone is on the forum - - good for some rep for sure.....

Eureka area has about 2 feet, no base.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    Eureka area has about 2 feet, no base.
    Trails groomed? Is is it worth riding or would it be a wasted trip?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I would not come in from the primrose side it will be 15 miles of rutted up nasty. Go down the road a few more minutes to the lost lake trail head the first portion will be nasty but for a much shorter length once you pass the cabin at the top of the ridge the trail gets much better and the farther you push back the better it will be.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Trails groomed? Is is it worth riding or would it be a wasted trip?
    I heard trails were groomed, but I dont know first hand, I went over Belanger pass. At this point, any riding is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    I heard trails were groomed, but I dont know first hand, I went over Belanger pass. At this point, any riding is better than nothing.
    We went to Eureka. Most of the trails were groomed - fair considering the snow amount, but visibility sucked so it was tough riding. Not enough snow for off trail riding until we found a mostly untracked lake. About 2 feet of powder and no base, one area had just a little overflow. We tore that up which made the trip worth it. Almost nobody around.

Go North!
    Alpine Creek and the Clearwater's have snow. It's a drive but worth the trip. The snow in Broad Pass looked below normal for January, and wind-hammered.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

We ended up going to johnson pass - it was rough and dippy.

Anyone know if there is any snow around sutton? Looking for some ice fishing on sunday.

Was up near Sutton last week end and there is enough snow to do some good trail riding but off trail is risky for hitting stumps or rocks.