Thread: Work project volunteers needed, duck habitat

Default Work project volunteers needed, duck habitat

Atten: all AWA club members

We are the ones who voiced wanting to help on this project. The purpose is to increase nesting habitat on the Palmer Hay Flats and by increasing habitat, will of course increase the numbers of ducks reproducing on the hay flats. Our meeting turnout was not great last night, we are hoping that more will turn out for the work party. There seemed to be lots of enthusium when the idea was first offered, and lots said they would be willing to work on it. Please read the below note from Joe Meehan, it pretty well sums up what we need, etc. If the weather is bad for the planned workday, i will send out a email to all that receive this as well as posting it on the waterfowl forum.

Jan 26th, Saturday morning, 9:30 AM, along northbound lanes, about a half mile north of the Mat Su bridge on the Glen Highway. Please park off the highway as far as you can, hopefully if no heavy snow by then, we can all park off the asphalt. May also utalize a pull off parking area next to the northbound end of the bridge. No ATV or Snowmobiles permitted unless we receive a big dump of snow before then. If you have a good working chain saw please bring it along with some fuel & oil. Also we will need a couple sleds we can drag to the work site with the saws/gas etc. It isn't far at all, about 300 yds of flat ice with swamp growing up though it. Those who missed the meeting last night, please email if you think you will be able to help in this work project and if you can bring a chain saw or sled along. Thank you, Bud

--- On Tue, 1/15/13, Meehan, Joe (DFG) <joe.meehan@alaska.gov> wrote:
    Subject: DU pond brush project
    To: "'bud bass'" <budbassc21@yahoo.com>, "Shaun Jensen" <svjensen@alasco.net>
    Cc: "Hill, Doug D (DFG)" <doug.hill@alaska.gov>
    Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 10:19 AM

Bud/Shaun – Thanks for inviting me to last night’s AWA meeting and your offer to help with the maintenance of the waterfowl enhancement project area. Here are the details we discussed:

1. Saturday January 26 at 9:30am.
    2. Meet at MP 32.0 Glenn Highway (northbound lanes), approx 0.5 miles north of Matanuska River bridge (and approx 1.75 miles north of the Knik River Access exit ramp). Park off pavement on shoulder if possible (beware of high-speed traffic especially if bringing children).
    3. The site is approx 300 yards off the roadway so we can easily walk. Saws, fuel and other gear can be pulled by hand in sleds.
    4. We will mark (with orange flagging tape) brush that will NOT be cut. Everything else will be cut and stacked in piles.
    5. Everyone should have eye protection and when operating with or near saws, ear protection. Provided the weather remains cold, the area should be frozen and dry so water boots are not necessary.
    6. If there is no snow cover, ice grippers would be helpful for walking on the frozen marsh.
    7. Gear needed: chain saws, fuel, bar oil, brush loppers, work gloves, warm clothing.
    8. Area to be cleared includes 2 islands measuring approx 200’ x 70’ each. If we have 20 people and perhaps 5 saws working each island, my guess is that the job will take 3-4 hours.
    9. We are taking care of any permits needed.
    10. We will touch base late in the week of January 21 to assess weekend weather conditions and make a final Go/No-go decision.

I’ll do a media release to see if we can get some attention.
    Anything else?
    Wasilla

Send me a PM. I could bring a couple of chainsaws, fuel, oil, and a sled if needed. I'm not a bird hunter, but if I can help I would be glad too.
    Robert

I'm kid free that weekend, so I should make it out. I'll bring my own gear: sled, gas and hand saws, loppers, and safety gear.

I was hoping it would be the following weekend. Just a question though. Will the two "islands" or mounds serve as nesting areas? Just curious as to why they picked those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    I was hoping it would be the following weekend. Just a question though. Will the two "islands" or mounds serve as nesting areas? Just curious as to why they picked those spots.
    They were built as part of the wetlands mitigation project when the second highway lane was constructed decades ago. If you look at an aerial view you will see a peace sign looking feature on the west side of the highway and then two sets of three "islands" on the east between the highway and rail road.

Given that DU and Delta claim a nesting hen mallard needs about 5 acres of water to raise her ducklings there does not appear to be enough surface water in these areas to attact nesting waterfowl. I don't know if its being studied by anyone.

Hey guys im interested in coming out. I dont have a saw, but i have a jet sled and I might be able to round up some man power from my shop on base. Does that sound alright?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    They were built as part of the wetlands mitigation project when the second highway lane was constructed decades ago. If you look at an aerial view you will see a peace sign looking feature on the west side of the highway and then two sets of three "islands" on the east between the highway and rail road.

Given that DU and Delta claim a nesting hen mallard needs about 5 acres of water to raise her ducklings there does not appear to be enough surface water in these areas to attact nesting waterfowl. I don't know if its being studied by anyone.
    Ray, when i lived in Wash state we had a very small pond on our property, swimming pool size and a mallard nested and raised ducklings in the brush along side it, otherwise the property was dry. Thats something to ask the F&G guy about, he will be on site when we are there. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    Hey guys im interested in coming out. I dont have a saw, but i have a jet sled and I might be able to round up some man power from my shop on base. Does that sound alright?
    Nothing there for a jet sled, even in summer. Could use your help, come on out, lots to do there besides cutting. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Nothing there for a jet sled, even in summer. Could use your help, come on out, lots to do there besides cutting. Bud
    This is what he is talking about.

http://www.shappell.com/sleds.html

and here I thought it was stange him talking about a river boat. Bud
    Wasilla

Any chance some hen houses could be built....I asked DU about it at the eagle river banquet ...they said they don't do hen houses...I asked why not and was givin a phone number to call...

We are looking at options and doing some research on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigunga1 View Post
    Any chance some hen houses could be built....I asked DU about it at the eagle river banquet ...they said they don't do hen houses...I asked why not and was givin a phone number to call...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Hen houses are a program through Delta Waterfowl. They can provide material support for groups like boy scouts that want to do an installation. I only know what they put into their journal.

DU is deep into the big picture stuff and hen houses are just not big picture enough.

I'll have to check with the ok hen to see if I can get cut loose to help out. I don't got much but my hands to help tho.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    I'll have to check with the ok hen to see if I can get cut loose to help out. I don't got much but my hands to help tho.
    Hey Grey, thank you, come on out. You never called me about the boat ride I offered you last spring. Hope to meet you Saturday. Bud
    Wasilla

Got wrapped up trying to get everything done last spring and summer, once the snow melts I'm nonstop.
    Semper Fi!

Just a thought beings there are a high number of traplines out on the flats this time of year, anybody check to be sure someones trapline isnt getting encroached on with the removal of those stands of trees and brush.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Joe and I were out there thursday and didn't see any signs of trapping in the immediate area. However, I considered taking my dog with us, but decided not to in case there was some trapping in that area. Bud
    Wasilla