Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Death=Bad for AK

Default Natural Death=Bad for AK

Just a thought; Last winter moose, caribou and deer were decimated because of high snow. That made it easier for wolves to get their kill and harder on the animals to graze.

This year, extremely warm weather will more than likely kill a lot of bears due to hypothermia.

The hare population has dropped on its 5 year cycle. So there goes lynx and coyotes.

SOOOO, it'd be a great year to go after sheep and wolves??? 2013: Sheep and wolves. Plan.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Just a thought; Last winter moose, caribou and deer were decimated because of high snow.
    This year, extremely warm weather will more than likely kill a lot of bears due to hypothermia.
    Where were caribou "decimated"? I doubt many bears will die of Hypothermia. Plenty of places where moose pops are just fine.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The hare population has dropped on its 5 year cycle. So there goes lynx and coyotes.
    I've only been out twice thus far, but in two days of calling I'm managed to call in 3 lynx. Doesn't seem so bad just yet...though I'm sure the population decline is coming.

Is this something that has just started happening? How is it bad for Alaska?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hare cycle is not the same all over, nor is it usually 5 years. 7-10 is closer to it. I have never heard of bears dying of hypothermia because of warm weather.
    I talked to guys who were on Afognak and had the best deer hunting they ever had in 10 years.
    Even on the kenai where we had a tough winter our moose numbers are good, and bull:cow ratios are up to about 22:100 after a low of 9:100 3 years ago.
    We are likely to get spikes back as a legal bull (not forks) and go back to 50" and 3.
    The department is proposing a brown bear registration hunt with no sow cap, and a drawing trophy brown bear hunt as well.
    Gonna be a great year!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

AniWahaya

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Hare cycle is not the same all over, nor is it usually 5 years. 7-10 is closer to it. I have never heard of bears dying of hypothermia because of warm weather.
    I talked to guys who were on Afognak and had the best deer hunting they ever had in 10 years.
    Even on the kenai where we had a tough winter our moose numbers are good, and bull:cow ratios are up to about 22:100 after a low of 9:100 3 years ago.
    We are likely to get spikes back as a legal bull (not forks) and go back to 50" and 3.
    The department is proposing a brown bear registration hunt with no sow cap, and a drawing trophy brown bear hunt as well.
    Gonna be a great year!
    Have you ever stumbled across bear remains while out and about? If they did expire in their dens due to hypothermia or other causes I doubt anyone would know enough to document much about it.

i found a dead bear in a den once while sheep hunting but it didn't leave a note why it died...

brian did you start the decimation of said lynx?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The theory on denned bears and hypothermia is that the bear gets wet and will loose the R factor of its fur. Also with a thin snow layer the den can't stay warm. Cubs would be more susceptible to hypothermia than adults.

Bears don't really hybernate like squirrels so they are more likely to wake up and seek shelter else where if their den is wet or flooded.

most also den a littler higher than we are here in the valley and mtsides usually hold the snow a bit better with windblown and cooler temps.
    it wouldn't suprise me ever year if we loose some, i'd imagine you might actually be able to suffocate if the snow got packed to hard over top of them too.
    i'm suprised we haven't heard of anyone shooting another one yet this year....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Where were caribou "decimated"? I doubt many bears will die of Hypothermia. Plenty of places where moose pops are just fine.
    No science to this thread. Just being a smartask

I think weather kills a couple things every year

If you want dead/dying Caribou around, then let it rain inmid winter, before theres lots of snow and ice their food over.

We lucked out a few days ago, it snowed 4 inches (FINNALLY!!) and the rain/drizzel we got was soaked up by the little bit of snow and the 8 inches weve gotten in the last couple days is wet and sticking, so the snow is here to stay.

Its the iceing events that kil alotta Caribou, especcially the young ones who cant walk as far without feed, to get to uniced feed.

One thing, in general, (nothings absolute in Nature) is that in April, we look for days when the drips arrive (not Ghonoreah ~~LOL!!~~) and the Bears come on out, usually Boars first, moms w/cubs last. Seems they wake up fron the wet or change in temperature, I donno, but the dripping always seems to be the best indicator.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Man I don't like that. How many knuckle heads out there are going to see horn and shoot a forky and say they thought it was a spike. I wish they'd leave it alone and award a SMALL NUMBER of "any bull" permits by drawing in 15c. Weren't they just saying how bad the moose numbers were in 15A and now they want to go back? I just don't understand how things work I guess...... Hopefully I'll get one of my six choices for up in Delta anyways and do my part to protect the Kenai moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've only been out twice thus far, but in two days of calling I'm managed to call in 3 lynx. Doesn't seem so bad just yet...though I'm sure the population decline is coming.

Able to shoot any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Able to shoot any of them?
    Ha! You just had to ask that, didn't you? Well...it was more about getting my friend on his first predator, so thankfully he was able to take one of them. As for the other two, well, both of us are a bit more humble after each missing one cat each. Rookie mistake on my part, but that's part of the experience of getting better, I suppose.

Besides, I didn't want to be a part of the great lynx decline of 2013.
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-15-2013 at 20:38.

Default Natural Death=Bad for AK

Adam- the dept also proposes to shorten the season and not open it until sept 1 specifically to allow the antlers to develop more fully prior to hunting.

I take it you're referring to 15C, because if you mean Peninsula wide, I find that hard to believe....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Just a thought; Last winter moose, caribou and deer were decimated because of high snow. That made it easier for wolves to get their kill and harder on the animals to graze.

SOOOO, it'd be a great year to go after sheep and wolves??? 2013: Sheep and wolves. Plan.
    This is hilarious. When I first read it I thought it was a joke. It reminds me of this commercial I saw on television.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzr7nt7YSo

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    This is hilarious. When I first read it I thought it was a joke. It reminds me of this commercial I saw on television.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzr7nt7YSo
    Hahaahhaha. That's awesome!! It was just a thread started out of Bordem in a day. That and when I go after sheep this year and don't get one I can justify it with this thread

yes, 15c specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I take it you're referring to 15C, because if you mean Peninsula wide, I find that hard to believe....

I think this post is one that comes from the gut and in not based in science. I understand where you are coming from but we alway need to look at the big picture and don't get sucked in by local and single year events.

Nature has a nice way to work through cycles and we are seeing a new cycle almost every year as it seems. These cycles don not take humans needs into consideration as they happen but we tend to react and many times over react to a cycle or event. About 12 ish years ago we had a mid winter rain event up in unit 23 that resulted in many caribou not being able to find food because of the ice layer. It would have been easy to assume that caribou numbers would plummet and they did drop as a result but in the bigger picture t was an event not a trend and as expected caribou numbers in NW Alaska bounced back quickly.

We see this same kind of reaction to predator control in many units. I a not a big fan of most predator control programs. I see the cycle as just that a cycle. Some animals numbers go up and some go down but does that always mean that we should jump into an airplane and shoot all of the bears and wolves?

WE need to look beyond this year when we make decisions and know good decisions take time!

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    Unit 23-Kotz
    www.northwestalaska.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast