Thread: Some History Pics, and questions

Default Some History Pics, and questions

I've got a few old pics I'm pulling out of my Dad's archives from the 50's and 60's
    thought you guys might enjoy
    some are a little rough, but have that Historical Value to them,....always fun to get the memories going, right?

and maybe answer a question or two for me, maybe recognize an old friend

My Dad, and his Flying Club buddies,...circa 1953 maybe,...
    Anyone know these guys,....I can barely recognize my own Dad from back then, (grin)
    I think they were all UAF guys, maybe,...
    my Dad, Curt Ryden (leaning against the J-3(?) was a mechanic at Elmendorf ,...

I've heard him refer to, "The Little Red School House," as the plane they learned to fly in,...this one below
    can anyone ID that airplane for me,....and I think that's Gene (?), the guy that taught them all

and here's a few others, a classic, from the PNA days...and can anyone tell me where this is,...??
    looks a lot like Kodiak, the Navy plane,...could it be ??
    Nah,....I don't know, but it's tearing me up looking and wondering
    My Dad is still around, I'll grill him more later,...I just ran into these and was wondering if anyone here would know anymore about them

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

That Navy CONNIE really gets me going.... Now I need a cold shower.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I've heard him refer to, "The Little Red School House," as the plane they learned to fly in,...this one below
    can anyone ID that airplane for me,....and I think that's Gene (?), the guy that taught them all

If the tail number is still associated the same plane - and it should be - its a PA-12 made in 1947. Its currently registered to someone in Meadow Lakes, AK.

Wow, that's pretty cool, still flying,.... I imagine anyway,...
    and not far from where my sis lives up there

My Dad's gonna like to hear that,...Thanks Ak Ray

He's one of those guys,... "All About Maintenance,"...spent his career "Twistin' Wrenches" for PNA,
    then United Airlines in SanFran and Denver til retirement
    Found some Youtube videos to link him up to

When he's up here, he loves to go over to Lake Hood, and just listen to them all roaring off,... could do that for hours

Here's a couple more shots,...some UAF guys might like

the Formidable F-89 Scorpion,....and my Dad's specialty,...and his name painted right on the side,...the Maintenance Guy
    (yeah, I am a little proud of his part in all that,...but this pic,...is Very Cool)

Okay, Okay,...but the pics, stored in the Cloud,...safe forever
    anybody work with these,...in the 50's,...or even know those pilots....maybe ??
    Is that Elmendorf, or somewhere else in AK even,...??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Those are some cool pics! Pretty amazing to find out that one of the planes in the pics is still flying. Look forward to seeing more pics and reading more about your father and his friends time in Alaska. Looks like a fun group of guys.