Thread: 480 ruger no more???

Angry 480 ruger no more???

on a visit to the ruger.com website this morning i noticed that only the 454 casull/45 colt super redhawk is listed.

no reference to the 480 ruger. did i miss something or did ruger silently drop the 480 in the srh?

who knows about this? murphy, paul h?

forty below

Default more info

the previous posting was referring to the srh in target gray 7 and 1/2 and 9 and 1/2 inch. also not sure about the 2.5 inch "alaskan".

forty below

I just looked. No revolvers shown in .480 on the Ruger website, not even the Alaskan. That caliber is no longer included on their web site list for searching. Bummer I was wanting to try one of those shooting 400 gr hardcast.

Default will it still be worth it to buy one

and will ammo maker still make factory ammo or will one have to reload for it. which brings up how long will reloading supplies last. went to sportsmans and they don't have any currently and said their shipments come when they come. they didn't know anything about the disconinue of the 480. They said to go to GNG or another place can't remember to buy one. Kinda wierd it is not the web site. But nobody knows. So? I will consider buying one if i know ammo will be around. like the fact it is so much lighter than the 460 or 500. by about 20 oz's.

i wonder the same thing akrstabout,

if ruger is not making the 480 ruger in either the srh or srh "alaskan", then how long will manufacturers be making the ammo?

i am not a reloader so this is an important consideration.

i guess i will have to forgo the srh in 480 ruger and go for the new 4 inch ruger redhawk in 44mag.

forty below

I noticed that, too, and did some looking on it. The 480 was a Ruger / Hornady venture. Ammo will supposedly still be available. In the event that the ammo goes away, handloading would still be an option, since it's so similar to 475 Linebaugh - the case would just need to be trimmed.

I've been wanting a SRH in 480 for quite a while. I can't decide if I should try to find one while I still can, or if I should go for the 454 instead.

Taurus apparently still has a 480 in their lineup though. I don't think the round is dead. Hard to say, though. Factory ammo could get pretty hard to find.

If you handload, and better yet cast your own, the 480 is outstanding. I'd personally take the 480 over the 454 anyday. The real advantage of the 454 is it's high velocity which allows 200 yd shots. But if you don't use a revolver for that task, the 480's shootability and heavy bullets at moderate velocity are better IMHO.

If you don't handload, I would avoid the 480, or any round with questionable long term support from the factories.

It's a pity most folks want bigger and more powerful, which is why the 480 never took off. It has a perfect balance of power and shootability.

Default 480 Ruger, yes.

The 480 Ruger SRH is listed in the 2007 catalogue. There is one used one at Great Northern Guns is mint condition at a good price. Yes, the 480 Ruger is a sleeper. With the 400 grain hardcast bullets between 1200 and 1300 fps, it really speaks with authority.

Default Anybody have feelings, knowledge on the SW500 mag?

I think I am interested in one of these. I don't own a large bore handgun, and why stop at .44 when we can have a .50??

Wish they made it in 6" barrel.

Any links, info, or forums that discuss this firearm would be appreciated. SW is having a demo day for their handguns this weekend. I think I will try to attend to see how it handles, or how I handle it.

Default where is the demo at

i looked at one at sportsmans last friday and was not impressed. the action was sloppy and and even with hammer cocked back the cylinder still moved way to much for my likeing. my taurus is alot tighter than that. in fact it is about as tight as they come. so that turned me off right away. i too would like to shoot one though just to see how it shoots. if i have the money i would consider buying one. didn't seem to heavy holding it in the store, 8 3/8 '' barrel

There's a certain point at which to be shootable, you have to have a heavy gun and or a muzzle break. That's the beauty of the 480, it's at the limit of what most people can handle without making the gun heavy or adding a break.

The 500 S&W is an impressively powerful gun no doubt, but it's a very big gun and requires a break to be shootable.

Default Anyone run across a SRH Alaskan 480 in Anchorage lately?

I've been leaning real hard towards picking one of these up. Anyone run acrossed on in Anchorage lately?

Thanks!

Default Fred Meyer Eagle River had one for under $600

Last week I was in Fred Meyers and they had one for under $600, made me mad as I bought one several weeks ago and paid about $640. Not sure if it is still there. I will check tonight if I make it there.

Default I might try it this weekend, SW500Mag

The range the demo days are being held is expensive. Not sure if I want to spend about $25 for the right to stand in line to try a gun. If S&W does it as they have in the past, each round will probably cost between 2 and 3 bucks each shot. Not bad to try out a small cannon.

I will also look into the Ruger offerings. I have my eye on them as they are starting to consolidate some of the operations. And as the other fellow said, even Tuarus is an alternative. I would rather by US made, but if the gun is night as tight as it should be, I will. There is about a two hundred dollar price difference. But with the cash saved, I could get a box of ammo and a shoulder holster too. I don't plan on shooting one of these that much. My range back plates probably would snap. And, kind of hard to carry conceled when it ways around 4 pounds. Wish the gun came in six inch.

Default They still have one for $593

The Fred Meyers in Eagle River has one on sale for $593 and they usually have a 10% off coupon for sporting goods in Sundays paper which is good on firearms. Also gunrunners.com has a couple listed there. Good luck!

Default Maybe a bit far to drive,, CONNECTICUT!

The shooting demo days is here in CT. I called the factory today to see what they are bringing in the lines of a .500.. Four inch model is very popular, and I am interested in it for Teddy control. Hope I never have to shoot it for that purpose. But the more I think about it, a very expensive piece of iron to store the rest of the time.

If I am going to be paying for the rounds to test, I might try the .460 too.. The sales rep tole me the composite 44mag, with the fancy titanium cylinder, etc is a nice carry piece because of total weight. Not a huge barrel, and can handle a 270grain bullet.. Not my background to say eitherway. That is why I am depending on you locals for advise..

By the way, I will have some bells on my vest, and carry spray. I am not coming up to AK to be a hero, or nervous twit, and shoot at bears. The only bear shooting I want to do is with a Cannon Rebel XTI and a zoom lens.
    I am almost tempted to see if I can rent/borrow one in AK.. I don't own any .44 mags, or larger, firearms. Round these "woods" I am pleased with Sigma .40sw, or my Springfield Arms 1911A1.

According to my source, the .480 Ruger from Ruger is on hiatus and will be back. They apparently have had some issues and are rethinking how they market the gun and how they design their product.

There has been a lot of new thinking going on at Ruger this year and most of it has been for the better. I'd say there will be a Ruger .480 again. Maybe later this year...