Thread: Pistol Scope for 22 Charger?

Default Pistol Scope for 22 Charger?

I just picked up a new Ruger .22lr Charger and would like some input. I need some glass for the top and would love to hear some input on what you think would work well. Not interested in sinking a lot of money but something decent! Something with good eye relief but not sure about what variable power.

If you can, please help me by justifying your suggestion.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I just picked up a new Ruger .22lr Charger and would like some input. I need some glass for the top and would love to hear some input on what you think would work well. Not interested in sinking a lot of money but something decent! Something with good eye relief but not sure about what variable power.

If you can, please help me by justifying your suggestion.
    A lot has already been said right HERE.

2X Leupold would get my money because it is the most performance (reliability, eye-relief, warranty, etc.) for the least (money, weight, etc.) which makes sense to me........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Unless you are planning on shooting sandbagged don't bother with anything over 3x. You won't be able to use it off hand over 3x. The 2x Leupold is a good choice but not cheap. Go to the gun store and try out some scopes. Hold them out in both hands, arms fully extended and see how easy/hard it is to get it aligned so you can see through it. You don't need really top quality on a 22 but ease of alignment and field of view are important.

Default parallax

Also check your chosen scope for parallax at the close ranges you are likely to be used a .22 pistol. I don't know what distance the 2X Leupold is set up for but it may be a bit far for a .22.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I was thinking that something that will allow head shots at 50 yards. I wasn't thinking of offhand with it put using the small bipod to do so.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I'd go with a 2-6 or 2.5-7 variable. While the leupold 2x is a very stout scope and fine for use on big bores for large game, it's real magnification is only ~1.8X. When it comes to picking up small targets at longer ranges, there is something to be said for more magnification and hence a variable.

Occasionally you can find a used simmons gold medal 2.5-7, they are rock solid scopes and well worth the ~$150 they fetch. If I was looking new, the weaver 2.5-8.

While you might think it's only a 22rf, you don't need that stout of a scope, the bolt slamming bolt after each shot will kill a cheap scope.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    While you might think it's only a 22rf, you don't need that stout of a scope, the bolt slamming bolt after each shot will kill a cheap scope.
    10/22s are tough on optics. I agree that more magnification could be helpful, but at ranges out to 50 yards the extra Xs are not necessary for hunting IMO......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

any thoughts on adding one with illumination? I was looking at the NcStar 2-7X32 but it seems to have some bad reviews
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have a Bushnell Phantom 2.5x on a Ruger MKI T that I put on in about 1975. I don't know how many rounds have been shot under that scope but 10,000 would be a very conservative number. The Bushnell is anything but a high dollar scope but I have used it since then without so much as readjusting zero. Head shots on what? At 50yds you will be doing well to get consistant groups in the 1" range without using very good (expensive) ammo especially in the field.

Here is a whole forum just on Chargers.
    http://rugerforum.net/ruger-charger/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A red dot can make for some fun shooting with these pistols. I swap between a traditional 2X scope and a red dot with mine, depending on the use.