Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingfisher owners?

Default Kingfisher owners?

Is there anything that you would have done to your boat that you didn't get done from the factory? I have all the options pretty much but I don't want the padded sides or rails on the back deck or the hot water and shower.

I have a 30 ft KingFisher that I've had since 2008.
    I'll give you a list of things that I would get if I could do it again.

I didn't think I'd like the padding in the cockpit, but now I'm very glad I have it, especially in rough water.
    Cockpit walk through door
    The largest fuel tanks you can get
    The largest anchor rode well you can get....One of the achilles heels of these boats are the small rode well size.
    I windlass with a worm drive
    If you are purchasing it from AMDS in Anchorage DO NOT let them put Evinrude E-Tecs on as power plants. Put the largest engines on possible.
    Rocket Launcher pole holders
    Secondary control station for the cockpit
    Electric down riggers
    Dual engines (Inboard or outboard) Duality is critical in AK. Having (independent) meaning more than one engine has saved my bacon more than once.
    External (shore side)power capability
    Secondary heating system such as a Toyo...The counter top Wallace diesel heaters throw no where near enough heat for a comfortable cabin in cold conditions.
    If you plan on having the family out w you for multi day trips I'd rethink the hot water/shower thing. Believe me, you'll get more days on the water if the girls can clean up now and then.

These are a few things that I would/do have on my boat that I think are imperative.
    I hope you find this helpful!!

Good Luck.

I'm not a kingfisher owner.....yet.

But I compleatly agree on several things JRD said.

For me, a cockpit steering station is a must on any boat
    Electronic down riggers are worth the $$
    Dual engines are a great idea, even better if they draw from seperate fuel tanks.

my .02
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks for the replies. I am doing all that JRD said but the padded sides. I will be putting an atv in and out of the boat and I know I would tear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I will be putting an atv in and out of the boat and I know I would tear it up.
    How will you get it to shore?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Kingfisher owners?

Rear deck self bailing....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Rear decks are self bailing unless you covered the drain holes. I like my back cover and supported it from the radar arch,,,rocket launcher. No support poles in the way. A wallas heater up front is a must I believe mine is a D-30 not sure comes off the same fuel jug. Also a delta anchor and good anchor rope make a big differance on launch and retrieve.

I live in Southeast and a lot of the places I hunt deer have docks.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I live in Southeast and a lot of the places I hunt deer have docks.
    Lucky son of a buck!

Default Re: Kingfisher owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrddiver View Post
    I have a 30 ft KingFisher that I've had since 2008.
    I'll give you a list of things that I would get if I could do it again.

I didn't think I'd like the padding in the cockpit, but now I'm very glad I have it, especially in rough water.
    Cockpit walk through door
    The largest fuel tanks you can get
    The largest anchor rode well you can get....One of the achilles heels of these boats are the small rode well size.
    I windlass with a worm drive
    If you are purchasing it from AMDS in Anchorage DO NOT let them put Evinrude E-Tecs on as power plants. Put the largest engines on possible.
    Rocket Launcher pole holders
    Secondary control station for the cockpit
    Electric down riggers
    Dual engines (Inboard or outboard) Duality is critical in AK. Having (independent) meaning more than one engine has saved my bacon more than once.
    External (shore side)power capability
    Secondary heating system such as a Toyo...The counter top Wallace diesel heaters throw no where near enough heat for a comfortable cabin in cold conditions.
    If you plan on having the family out w you for multi day trips I'd rethink the hot water/shower thing. Believe me, you'll get more days on the water if the girls can clean up now and then.

These are a few things that I would/do have on my boat that I think are imperative.
    I hope you find this helpful!!

Good Luck.
    I think that about covers it. The aux heater and bigger fuel tank for sure. I think my boat is rear end heavy and I am considering extending the hull under the motor bracket to give the rear a lift.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I think my boat is rear end heavy and I am considering extending the hull under the motor bracket to give the rear a lift.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    You will enjoy that modification. I did it a couple of seasons ago and gained a better overall ride, increased economy, lowered the planing speed, no more wet deck when people converge to one corner, and she sets level at rest. I cannot believe I didn't do this during the build. Oh yea, some asshat said it wasn't necessary. But I did it anyway...once she was mine.

JR2 and Spoiled One, can you elaborate on the rear end lift?
    I know my Harbercraft KingFisher is aft heavy.

The back of my Kingfisher is usually weighted down with fish!!!! Ok, maybe I'm dreaming! Would also like to hear about that modification for the extention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Mine set aft heavy. That was very obvious when she was at rest. When I would run with all three tanks full (400+/- gallons), gear for a week, and five guys, she felt like she was starting to fall off plane when I got below 30mph. With the extension I obviously gained floatation which leveled the boat out at rest, but I also picked up economy. I dropped a couple of gallons an hour at cruise. With the extended planing surface I can stay on plan at lower speeds and I rarely touch the trim tabs. The only negative to the mod that I have experienced is putting it back on the trailer. I used to be able to walk it all the way up to the roller, now I have to crank it on the last couple of feet.

Here are a couple of poor quality cellphone pics:

Loose Change and Jrddriver:
    I don't have a Kingfisher but have a similar aluminum boat. I agree with JR2's list and have added everything but cockpit pads to my boat on his list and a few more things I consider important for extended trips in PWS. I also extended the hull under the motor bracket/swim step like Spoiled One.

When I extended the hull I ended up needing to drop my motors to the correct position for the new hull, the original transom box was angled up so the motors could be correctly mounted higher. I dropped them 3" and now we're back to where we need to be. I added another 62 gal of fuel in a second tank and carry a 2KW generator and will shortly put a 9.9HT on the motor bracket, so I have and will add quite a bit more weight to the stern. The added lift from the increased sealed air chamber and volume along with the added planing surface actually makes it easier to get on step, even with the increased weight the boat sits 2" higher in the water. In the process I ended up adding 30" to the length of the rear deck, but that's another story. All told I added about a thousand pounds and get on step sooner, but lost a little top end speed using the same motors and props.

When you add a second heater like an Espar add defrosters, I added an additional 5 gal kerosene tank to run the Espar and kept the original 2 gal for the Wallas stove.
    I think for my boat and the way I run the boat 220 gals of fuel are what I need for a comfortable 10 day trip running around PWS, therefore the second tank.
    I like having a min. of 450' of rode and either the best 3 strand or braided line, 600' is better but not the cheap stuff.
    When I added shore power I also added a galvanic isolator for in harbor and a 3 bank battery charger with a float charge, and modified the battery management system that came with the boat with an extra switch and a couple VSR's. Now when I'm underway and the start batteries are charged it switches automatically and charges the house battery. Since I carry the 2KW generator, if I need to I just set it in the transom door and plug it into the shore power.
    I also have an AC/DC freezer and a vacume packer on board, so process each time we catch something. I don't use a chamber type on board, because with halibut I run out a bag from a roll and seal it as a whole fillet to keep the feds happy, still I can only have 2 day's limit on board, but that's a lot of halibut.
    The ship's mate likes a hot shower and so do I, it doesn't have to be fancy, a battery power camp shower in a bucket of hot water on the self bailing deck in a beautiful secluded cove works just fine. You can add a tarp on a windy or rainy day.

Sorry to ramble... these are some of my ideas and thoughts

I would also add that the camper back we put on the boat last spring was awesome last summer. Sure you bump your head and trying to fish under it is a pain but on those days its raining and you are anchored in a cove sipping an adult beverage it sure is nice to be doing it on the back deck and not wearing a helly rain suit.

As far as the hell extension Spoiled one has hit it on the head... I just have to convience my wife that its necessary and then decide I want to spend the $$ on it. Kingfishers have all that paint over the beautiful aluminum so its going to make a mess of the paint on the back and I am going to have to decide what to do about the paint. Other than that I see no downside, if I remember correctly my motors are mounted fairly high anyway.

I just don't get why Kingfisher does not extend the hull back there to begin with, they have all the batteries mounted in the back, the fuel tank is in the back... the boat rides low in the back, seems like an easy fix at the factory.

On a side note, does anyone have any photos of defrost vents installed in a kingfisher.. I am about to undertake this project and I "think" I have figured out how do get it done, but some photos would help.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think I owe you some pictures from last summer. I will make it a point to get them to you.

The only problem I have with my defrosters is the heat runs through the same area the cup holders are. Great for keeping the coffee with Baileys hot but not so good for the beer!! Of course that is while anchored for the night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Great info..... a few f/u questions.

Who did your extension work?

Did you have to get longer lower units for your outboards or did you drop the entire outboards down after the aft modifications?

Storage of Gear.... this always seems to be an issue with extended trips with the family. Can anybody share some wisdom on how to maximize gear storage for extended trips on the KingFishers?

Did the extension cause you to make any changes w your sounders... i.e. did you have to move them to a different position on the transom or switch to a through hull, etc...?
    As always, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrddiver View Post
    Great info..... a few f/u questions.

Who did your extension work?

Did you have to get longer lower units for your outboards or did you drop the entire outboards down after the aft modifications?

Did the extension cause you to make any changes w your sounders... i.e. did you have to move them to a different position on the transom or switch to a through hull, etc...?
    As always, thank you.
    I had a friend do the extension for me. He just happens to be the former shop foreman that built my boat.

I have 30" shafts already. They were mounted too low originally, IMO. Now the cavitation plates are right at the surface on plane.

I have a 1KW thruhull. It remains in its original position and performs the same.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I had a friend do the extension for me. He just happens to be the former shop foreman that built my boat.

I have 30" shafts already. They were mounted too low originally, IMO. Now the cavitation plates are right at the surface on plane.

I have a 1KW thruhull. It remains in its original position and performs the same.
    Spoiled One - The ex-forman your referring to - is that Jason?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast