Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild boars?

Default Wild boars?

Do wild boars exist in AK or is it too cold a climate?

Default Wild boars?

Ummm. No. No wild pigs here. I'd be all over that like fat on bacon.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A few boars got loose from a farm here in Delta a couple decades back.
    There were a few sightings but I think between the winters and grizzlies
    they died off.

I doubt if it is too cold ,they have plenty of wild boars in the cold areas of Russia

I doubt if it is too cold ,they have plenty of wild boars in the cold areas of Russia.

Every once in while you will spot one or two on a friday or saturday night hanging around just outside the city limits of Soldotna on the Sterling side. They have been sighted behind an old limo parked on the side of the road near what could be misconscrewed as an abandoned building. Mostly sows but an occasional boar as well. I've seen them driving by coming back from a fishing trip in Homer. Don't go by there in the winter so I'm not sure how they make it through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've seen them driving by coming back from a fishing trip in Homer. Don't go by there in the winter so I'm not sure how they make it through the winter.
    Who knew that pigs could drive or fish! I knew they couldn't fly.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Don't worry ... Hogs are on their way north ... Northern Cali has lots now-a-days and they will be moving into So Oregon soon.

They do survive and do well in very cold climes.

The feral Doves have made it to Ak ... the Hogs ain't far behind.

[QUOTE=sayak;1231678]Who knew that pigs could drive or fish! I knew they couldn't fly.[/QUOTE

Apparently you have not seen the lastest Geico Commercials!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Ejh2Uy6WM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-r4Z1K_LDc

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Don't worry ... Hogs are on their way north ... Northern Cali has lots now-a-days and they will be moving into So Oregon soon.

They do survive and do well in very cold climes.

The feral Doves have made it to Ak ... the Hogs ain't far behind.
    Do you have any links for that? It would be nice to have something to feed the bears besides moose and caribou calfs

Every once in while you will spot one or two on a friday or saturday night hanging around just outside the city limits of Soldotna on the Sterling side. They have been sighted behind an old limo parked on the side of the road near what could be misconscrewed as an abandoned building. Mostly sows but an occasional boar as well. I've seen them driving by coming back from a fishing trip in Homer. Don't go by there in the winter so I'm not sure how they make it through the winter.

I really thought you were going somewhere else with this post

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I really thought you were going somewhere else with this post

I've seen a few back in the 1985 off old airport way in Fairbanks not too far from Seekings Ford. It was a run down log type constructed building About the same time early time of the morning. I recall an old limo as well, wonder if its a coincidence. As I recall, I stopped the car and tried to bag a smaller sow but I fell down due to some type of liquid posioning and don't remember much more than that. I was in Fairbanks a few years back and the log structure was still there, but no activity around, but then again, it was in the early afternoon when I drove by.

[QUOTE=chico99645;1231644]Every once in while you will spot one or two on a friday or saturday night hanging around just outside the city limits of Soldotna on the Sterling side. They have been sighted behind an old limo parked on the side of the road near what could be misconscrewed as an abandoned building. Mostly sows but an occasional boar as well. I've seen them driving by coming back from a fishing trip in Homer. Don't go by there in the winter so I'm not sure how they make it through the

They must be attracted to the golf course on that end of town

I've seen a few back in the 1985 off old airport way in Fairbanks not too far from Seekings Ford. It was a run down log type constructed building About the same time early time of the morning. I recall an old limo as well, wonder if its a coincidence. As I recall, I stopped the car and tried to bag a smaller sow but I fell down due to some type of liquid posioning and don't remember much more than that. I was in Fairbanks a few years back and the log structure was still there, but no activity around, but then again, it was in the early afternoon when I drove by.
    Figured it had to be there or that fine establishment on the right as you are heading down South Cushman that only seems to be open late at night and seems to have worse lighting inside than the parking lot does.

They can and have survived in the past;

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...nts_alaska.pdf
    Is that a fillet knife in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    They can and have survived in the past;

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...nts_alaska.pdf
    Page 114 for those interested.

I read the same thing, I wonder what would have happened if someone tried again on Rat Island, before they cleaned all the rats out....

I also read where there are now Wild Hogs in Canada with a steady population.... I don't think the cold bothers them that much, they just haven't made it this far north yet.

Hogs can handle anything a deer can. What I mean is if the land can support deer it will support hogs. I love to hunt hogs down in GA. I can tell you we do not want them here. With no natural way to control their population and the destruction they do to the land, they would destroy our natural herds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Hogs can handle anything a deer can. What I mean is if the land can support deer it will support hogs. I love to hunt hogs down in GA. I can tell you we do not want them here. With no natural way to control their population and the destruction they do to the land, they would destroy our natural herds.
    I am a bit lost on this train of thought? I have lived in GA, Germany, and spent a decent amount of time in Texas all of which have large populations of feral hogs. Yet none of these areas had large tracts of land that were destroyed by the hogs so I do not see how they would destroy the land up here and cause our moose and caribou populations to crash. Heck we have more predators up here that would kill and eat the hogs than any of the places I mentioned so if anything I don't see the hogs ever reaching a sustainable population without man stepping in and helping them.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I am a bit lost on this train of thought? I have lived in GA, Germany, and spent a decent amount of time in Texas all of which have large populations of feral hogs. Yet none of these areas had large tracts of land that were destroyed by the hogs so I do not see how they would destroy the land up here and cause our moose and caribou populations to crash. Heck we have more predators up here that would kill and eat the hogs than any of the places I mentioned so if anything I don't see the hogs ever reaching a sustainable population without man stepping in and helping them.
    Guess you weren't paying very good attention in Texas. They are a plague there. Just hunted a ranch in Northern Texas and while they offer fairly cheap pig hunts, they also spend a good chunk of the year culling hogs to try to keep them somewhat under control because of the damage they do. One of the ranch hands told me that the sows give birth three times a year.

Read and learn.....

http://www.texaswildhogrelief.com/
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

A quote from the above link.......

Reproduction of Feral Hogs: A sow reaches breeding age at 7 to 8 months old. They can be responsible for 1,000 plus feral hogs in a 5 year period!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast