Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range shooting

Default Long range shooting

So been finding a new interest in long rang shooting and thinking about tinkering a bit. Wondering what some of our members here are shooting when it comes to the longer ranges, say 300 plus.... Lets not make this an ethics post please...

Default Long range shooting

I don't really consider 300 long range but i shoot a 7mm RM to about 700. If you're looking into shooting further than that I would look into something like a 338 Lapua or similar. You want a bullet with high BC. It depends a bit on what you're shooting for, sport or hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Since this post is up i figured I would also throw in a question because I have been itching to get into the long range game as well. For those who do shoot over 300 yards, where do you go to shoot? I frequent Birchwood but they do not go beyond 300 yards

I guess in the world of long rang shooting 300 is definetely not considered long. I think sport vs hunting thing one could certainly help the other. I would certainly say sport first and go from there. I used to own a 338-378 but honestly never put it to the test actually can't ever recall shooting it past 200. I have just been reading a lot of various arcticles on it and find it pretty interesting to be able to shoot groups like some of these guys are posting. I have been looking at getting a new 338-378 or a 30-378 but have not made the decision yet. Again I am a complete novice when it comes to this subject and know there are a lot of different variables when you stretch the distance. I do think though if I were to try I would like to somewhat do it with hunting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by lildevock View Post
    Since this post is up i figured I would also throw in a question because I have been itching to get into the long range game as well. For those who do shoot over 300 yards, where do you go to shoot? I frequent Birchwood but they do not go beyond 300 yards
    I'm with you. I've often thought the same thing. I think a person should limit themselves to however far they can practice shooting and obtain precise and accurate groups. For me that limit is right around 300. But then again I know of no other place to practice any further so how would I know. But to be completely honest, even at 300 I am sometimes inconsistent. Just a slight breeze can throw off my groups. And sometimes when shooting that far you can have wind direction shifting two or three different directions by the time the bullet reaches the target. If I can I like to put up pieces of survey tape or flagging every 100 yards so that I can see what is going on. I try not to shoot until all the flags have settled down.

If it were me and I wanted to learn to shoot longerdistances and I was looking for a all around good cal I would look at the 308cal. Itís not the 338 Lapua but itís a little over half the cost less to shoot it aswell. 95% of the DDM/ SNIPER courses outthere are shot with a 308. The data charts are wide and abundant on the 308 andeasy to find. It is hard to narrow down a platform that willlive up to two jobs like long range shooting (ranges over 500yds) and are lightenough to carry on a hunt. I havecarried true long range shooters and it not fun to carry a 14lbs jewel.
    Now if you want to become proficient at 300 yrds then lookat something that is a solid hunting rifle like the Tikka T3. It is a Ĺ min out of the box shooter thatwill hold up and you will love to carry it. You will have to figure what cal you are wanting for the game you are chasing. There is a lot of opinions out there on whatis the best cal but my wife took a 59.5 Yukon moose two years ago with her 308the bull walked 20 feet before he dropped but that is another story. Pick a cal that will get the job done andwill be cheap enough to take out and shoot 20 round a week or more.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I have been looking at getting a new 338-378 or a 30-378 but have not made the decision yet. Again I am a complete novice when it comes to this subject and know there are a lot of different variables when you stretch the distance. I do think though if I were to try I would like to somewhat do it with hunting equipment.
    A 30-378 with the new 230gr Berger would hold supersonic velocity to just over a mile. This would make 1000 yard shots fairly easy with good loads and training. A 300 WM is a good 1000 yard target gun and easy to acquire. If longer range is desired I would look into the 338 Lapua. There are several rifle builders offering these rifles. Savage and Remington offer them in their catalog for about half the price of a custom shop.

Davidsons has 11 Remingtons in stock as of this posting.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...sit=&pid=&inv=

Rem 40X, 308 Win, 168gr boat tail hollow point, Federal Gold Metal Match. I think I can dig up some gee wiz info and maybe an old data sheet. and you really need a good spotter.....

Check out this fellas chart in the beginning of his video, watch him match the rifles use with the cartridge characteristics. Let me know if any of you find similar charts I'd like to see them because I must be using the wrong search terms when looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlwoNCNnFA

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

So been finding a new interest in long rang shooting and thinking about tinkering a bit. Wondering what some of our members here are shooting when it comes to the longer ranges, say 300 plus.... Lets not make this an ethics post please...
    Bear, what are you wanting to short beyond 300 yards? Obviously, the size of the game will make a big diffference on the gun your chose. There are a lot of great rounds for shooting past three hundred, but they all don't have the same impact out there.

I like a 22-250 for longer range predator/varmits and the 7mmRM or 300WM for everything else. The 22-250 is much easier, and cheaper to do a lot of practice with.

At the same time I have no objections to long range shooting with either the 243, 270, 7mm-08, or 308, again depending on the purpose/game.

2012 11-4 Mark and Ksenia Hatcher Pass 013.jpgI'm with ya on a 308, 300 Win, or even a 300 WSM. I wouldn't purchase any weapon that I couldn't hike with for multiple miles and not have it kill me to carry it. If the wind isn't erratic it's not tough to shoot 500 meters.

That being said, if I was shooting at Camp Perry or in any competition, then I would purchase a heavy weight and a larger caliber.

Practice is paramount. I just got back from shooting indoors in Palmer with my Walther GX1 KKM in 22 caliber. Long range shooting is easier if you send a lot of rounds down range, work on positions, and shoot all year long. My best practice for sheep and goat hunting is at 50 ft.
    Last edited by alaskanhidalgo; 01-14-2013 at 23:01. Reason: adding a picture

Quote Originally Posted by lildevock View Post
    Are you military, retired, or DOD employee you can shoot at the Ft. Richardson Sport range on weekends and after hours or when range is not utilized, membership is free but you must sign in and sign out, you can get out to about 600 yards.

I have a friend who is in to LR hunting. He's in Az. Last year his wife and him had 25 or 26 cal rifles. Sorry, don't remember the exact cartridge. Just visited them a week ago. He now shoots a 7mmSAUM. Not sure why he went to the larger cal.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Several good points being made here.
    1. The best marksmanship practice is with a quality 22 bolt rifle.
    2. Chambering is only important to keep your bullet supersonic to your desired maximum range, perhaps a bit farther than that.
    3. Most designated marksmen are shooting a 30 cal of some sort, 300 Win, 308 Win, etc. Not that other diameters won't do, but 30 cal gives you the most choices in bullet design and variety, weight, etc.
    4. Remember recoil can be an issue with extended shooting sessions, prone is the desired position for accuracy, but is the least forgiving for recoil.
    5. A balance of weight of the gun, portability, size and magnification of the optics, and caliber all play against each other. Tough to make the "best" choice for each one.
    6.I own and have shot a couple Remington stainless Senderos, one in 308, the other in 300 Rem short action Ultra Mag. Both have generally exceeded my expectations at 600 yards and beyond. The 308 peters out at about 900 plus yds. The 300 stays supersonic to about 1100. Both are fitted with adjustable buttplates and handstop rails, Mo's extended 15 min bases, and a big leupold 8.5x25. Portable? Somewhat. Accurate? Every time. Shootable over the course? Very much so.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Nicely put.

Look at the match winners Wimbledon etc for Camp Perry

6.5X284 is a current fav of the big dingers...likewise w/ the F class shooters

Alaska Rifle Club sponsors 600 yds matches at Fort Rich and 1000 yd matches at Ft Greely...

Palma Shooters use 308 bolt guns with 30 in barrels and iron sights with 155 gr VLD bullets 800-1200 yds

I shoot a bolt gun 308 175 gr SBT and IMR4064 to 1000; both iron sights and glass
    and
    M14 match iron sights w/ M118LR, which is 175 GR SBT, the old M118 and 172 M1 Ball bullet worked too...

Learn to read the wind and mirage, get a good spotting scope for that

Try 22 LR at 100 and 200 yds to learn about trigger control, postion , NPA and wind; use SV ammo

Ditto on the 22 practice and airgun too...

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Bear, what are you wanting to short beyond 300 yards? Obviously, the size of the game will make a big diffference on the gun your chose. There are a lot of great rounds for shooting past three hundred, but they all don't have the same impact out there.

Ralph to be perfectly honest it the challange of it and i have a fascination with x's I am not necessarily talking about taking game at those distances past three but that would simply depend on lots of things.. I appreciate all the input from all..
    The 22 advice makes perfect sense to me.. Although new or may be new to long range shooting I did shoot pro archery for a while and they have a lot in common.. We used to practice at 5 feet with our eyes closed as when you close your eyes you can focus on your other senses and feel how the shot goes off..

How about rifle scopes, do the higher powers work better of do they get to shakey... thanks again I do really appreciate all of this info..

How about rifle scopes, do the higher powers work better of do they get to shakey... thanks again I do really appreciate all of this info..
    I love high power for target shooting and when trying to shoot a tight group. Yes they can be shaky but you should be in a solid shooting position when shooting for accuracy and that will minimize the shakes.

When hunting I like a wider field of view and one hit in the vitals is all it takes to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Are you military, retired, or DOD employee you can shoot at the Ft. Richardson Sport range on weekends and after hours or when range is not utilized, membership is free but you must sign in and sign out, you can get out to about 600 yards.
    The Sports Fire range goes out to 600 yards? I had no idea you could shoot that far there, I've zero'd and done paper qualification there multiple times. I really appreciate the heads up, I feel silly now especially since some of my co workers and I have been trying to find a place to shoot over 300 yards for some time now when there has been one in our backyard this whole time.

I shoot 300 yards at Birchwood and then make it a point to shoot longer when when I take my boat out on the river in the summer. So, I only really get true long range practice for about 3 months a year. It is a real disadvantage not having a dedicated long range shooting place. I keep my game shots to under 300 yard right now because of my lack of practice, but am working up to being proficient to 500 as a goal. I have not shot on base ever, maybe I will have to get into that, but I am not military. Best bet is to be proficient at 300 yards, then look for more real estate.

500 yards for AK hunting purposes, I would look at the 300 wm/ WSM, 300 RUM, 338 WM, 338 RUM/Edge/Lapua or the Weatherby cartridges.

I did not see if you hand load. You probably will have to start if you want to shoot that long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast