Thread: Pointers After surgery

Default Pointers After surgery

Well I got the clearence to start shootinh my bow again. After 2 shoulder surgeries and a 2 year adsense I'm back. I shoot lefty. So, my re built shoulder will be holding the bow. Just want to know best way to get back into it. Any pointers will be great.
    Thanks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Pointers After surgery

What does your PT recommend? I'd hit Sports Authority and pick up some workout bands, starting small and building back up.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I am right handed. Have had 2 surgeries on my left shoulder. It needs another, and my right isn't like new any more either.

Do all of the PT - and then do more of it on your own. It sounds like you may be done with your PT, but keep doing it anyway.

Don't try to shoot too heavy of a bow. My next one I will be stepping down to a 50-60 pound compound. My days of 84+ pound bows are gone. With the new bows of today, you really don't need more than 50-60 pounds anyway.

My plan is to start with my indoor bow. It's set at #42.
    My hunting bows are set at #62, and #70....
    Correct I'm done with all my PT and I do have the rubber bands.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have one set of rubberbands - I look at it every other day..........really need to do more than look at it.

I shot with you once down at Wild Bills - prolly bout 4 years ago.

I can still pull back 80 pounds (allbeit with a jerk), but it hurts. I was at the spring bear shoot in the valley a couple years ago. I broke my bowsite and my wife broke her bow too. Linda shot Bill's bow - after he adjusted the sight after he shot - she outshot him, but Bill won't admit it! I ended up shooting my Aunt's bow which was set at 40 pounds or so - it was a pure pleasure to shoot that lightweight bow for the rest of the tourney - and I think that I would have outshot myself had my bow not broke.

I can still see the 350" plus 6x6 charging me last year in Wyoming. I can also still see him running away after I missed between his legs when I let go at 32 yards. If I had been shooting 55 pounds or so - he'd a been 5 yards when I let loose and I'd be having elk burger for dinner tonight!

First, switch to Right-handed because Lefty just looks funny...

Stability in the shoulder is key to archery and Id start with holding body in push-up position (perhaps on knees first), then walk hand over hand in semi-circles to left then right. Mix it up, left over right, right over left, small movement to large. Places stress on the joint from all angles. Finish off with all the Rotator Cuff exercises you probably learned in therapy.

One thing we Archer's do not do enough, probably any of is pre shoot stretching and exercise. Do some shoulder stretches the overhead arm pull, chest stretch and so on then do and complete set of the Rockwell 5 with 10-20 reps that the therapist should of had you doing and some overhead arm claps, military presses and front claps. After shooting stretch really good and don't tire your sholder out while shooting, if your shoulder feels fatigued stop/take a good long break.