Thread: Why does fresh snow shut down my line?

Default Why does fresh snow shut down my line?

Im fairly new to trapping but one thing i have noticed is every time it snows the area I'm working just shuts down for a few days. Has anyone else noticed this or know why this occurs?

Depends if you are talking during the front or after. Just after is money! I love fresh snow I usually put off checking my line and look for new area. Fresh track is the key to s successful line. Good luck!

It is likely that you aren't seeing the number of tracks due to the fact that the critters just aren't there producing them. It takes a few days for them to run their territory. Just check a rabbit hot spot the morning after a big snow then check it again 48 hours later the # of tracks will be largly different as the same animals are making them it is the same with other animals a lot of the time a lot of tracks are made by just one or two critters repeating the places they have run between snow falls
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Good input from Teacherman and Otterman, coyotes typically have a pattern they run every 3 - 5 days, fox run smaller circles so every 2 - 3 days usually for them. When they den up to have pups the females will be in a very tight pattern, but will run more often is my experience. Don't know anything about cats but I would guess they are somewhat similar....

Canines are also quite territorial, where you pick up multiple animals in consecutive days will be on their borders where different family groups will overlap. I love fresh snows as I cruise a lot of territory reading sign, stick with it and you will learn the better spots!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

yea i like to go scouting during the snow and immediately after because i can easily tell what is fresh and what is not, i have been mainly targeting fox and i found a spot pretty dense with tracks i picked one up off that spot the other day just before it started snowing then the place completely shut down barely any fresh tracks but i don't think the one i caught is the only animal in there because i found fresh tracks this morning i snared up the fresh trail pretty good so we will see what happens in the next week here..here is a pic of the one i got the other day
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130108_0001.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	67311

Looks like he is very nicely furred! I have not had much experience trapping in snows of any depth or duration, but I would speculate that deeper snows make a foxes life much harder and they would choose to expend that energy hunting food in spots that had less? So, you may find hot pockets of activity and really knockem dead if you have deep snow? Perhaps others with more experience will chime in on that theory?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

i think also that some animals hole up during and a little after a big snow

Fur bearing animals seem to be more active during periods of low atmospheric pressure (snow, rain, etc . . . ), so will be very active before and during the event, but not so active for a period after the event.

Just my observation .....................