Thread: AK steelhead pic heavy

Default AK steelhead pic heavy

Finally my annual steelhead trip was here. It had been a year since I had fished for steelhead and I was psyched. I wish I had more to contribute to the site, but I live in Florida. If you wanted snook, redfish and tarpon reports I could post every week.
    Now to the trip. We arrived in Alaska on April 21st. After checking in we decided to do a little wade fishing since we couldn’t float the river this day beings that it was already 1:00 pm and it takes at least 11 hours to do so. So we started fishing my friends were drift fishing yarn and I was float fishing with a jig. We wound up doing pretty well the three hours we were there, Landing steelhead from 9 to 16lbs that day. I also caught a couple on Joe’s (RVRFSHR) gold spinners.
    The next day we woke up and had breakfast and went back to our room to get ready for the float down river. We are always the last one out and the last one off the river. We don’t want to fight the other boats for spots we would rather just hit the spots after they are already down river. We started pulling hot shots around the first bend two rods out on this particular stretch. The plugs were out about 2 minutes when the center rod buries, I jammed the rod and the fight was on. After a short battle I landed a 13lb buck. We continued floating down river that day and were approaching the takeout when my buddy spots a pod of fish in the run pushing up. We jumped out of the boat and started bottom bouncing yarn. My friends were trying orange and cream colors but they wouldn’t hit. I put on black yarn beings it was getting late and the sun was down behind the trees. On the third drift my rod was jolted and the fight was on. After a short fight the chrome 10lb hen was landed.
    I went back to the run and casted out again and once again my rod was slammed on the black yarn( with one plastic orange egg) and the fight was on landed another chrome hen approximately 9lbs. Our first float day was done, as I turned out it was a tough day but we did manage to get into 9 fish. We wound up floating the river the next 4 days and did really well. The big fish this year were 3 @ 18lbs 2 of them were hens. Water temp this trip was 39 degrees to a high one day of 44 degrees. During the afternoon the water usually got to about 42 degrees most days. The water was low and clear the first day but with rain it raised some and made for a nice float. All fish were caught on yarn, plastic eggs, jigs, spinners and pulling plugs. Gold was the hot color once again in the hardware department. It was a great trip with friends. We also saw lots of bald eagles one of them had a steelhead. We also saw an otter with a steelhead in its mouth still flopping around. I can’t wait for next years trip Sorry for the long read here are some pictures from the trip.

I give up it will only let me upload 2 pictures. If someone can tell me the trick to being able to post more pictures i would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.1 KB, 225 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (62.9 KB, 208 views)

souned like a great trip thanks for sharing. what river is that?

Glad to hear you had a great trip. Where were you fishing what river

Looks like the Situk if we have to guess..<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Looks like the Situk if we have to guess..<grin>
    We have a winner