Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Ruger Rotary Magazines

Default About Ruger Rotary Magazines

I'm looking for a 22LR bolt action for me and/or for my son. I wanted a rifle with an internal, non removable magazine, but I haven't found any manufacturers offering a bolt action 22 in that design; they all seem to be either single shot or have a detachable box magazine.

The closest thing I have found is the Ruger 77/22 which uses a detachable rotary magazine that doesn't protrude from the stock. Can anyone tell me if that is the same magazine (i.e. same part number, same SKU, totally interchangeable) as the detachable rotary magazine used in the 10/22?

Yes it is.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks. It's not "exactly" what I want, but it's probably my (our) next rifle. Not that can I buy ammo for it, but that's another day. LOL

I've read that the 77/22 doesn't care for some of the high cap 10/22 mags, but can't attest to that personally. I can attest to the 77/22 being a tack driver tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

In .22LR the only fixed magazine bolt guns that I'm aware of are the tube feed models by Marlin and others.

The 77/22 is a first rate rifle, built just like a regular high powered rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Well thanks for the input folks. Those marlin tube-22's are all semi autos. I have one in pieces on my kitchen counter with parts back ordered from Brownell's. I'm done with semi autos forever, especially in a rimfire. (I also have a Remington Nylon 77 Apache in pieces on the counter.)

By the way, for those of you who have used the 77/22, how is it terms of weight and balance, especially in terms of being fit to a pre-teen shooter?

Default Re: About Ruger Rotary Magazines

Just curious, but why are you done with the semis?

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    . Those marlin tube-22's are all semi autos.
    Marlin made tube fed bolt actions for decades- finding one on the used market shouldn't be an issue if you decide that's the way to go. I had a model 983...pretty nice but not as good as the 77/22.

The 77/22 is a full size rifle so it may be too large for a pre-teen.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Marlin made tube fed bolt actions for decades...
    So did Remington. In fact my first rifle was a Remington bolt-action tube fed.

The 77/22 is a full size rifle so it may be too large for a pre-teen.
    Have the stock shortened a bit to adjust LOP if necessary. I've shortened my barrel length too so it's more packable on a snowmachine or in the alders. Mine is heavier, with a laminated stock and bull barrel, but the current synthetic model is only 6 pounds, and the walnut stocked is less than 7, I believe.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    So did Remington. In fact my first rifle was a Remington bolt-action tube fed.
    Mossberg did too, there is one in my family that is THE most accurate .22 i've ever had my hands on.

That's interesting. I've never seen a tube-fed, bolt action, 22LR. This is the first I've ever heard of one.

I think instead of taking a high end (i.e. high cost) rifle like the 77/22 to a gun smith and having it custom fitted to a boy who will grow out of it in less than 5 years, I may get the 77/22 for myself and one of the various youth guns for him. (Here, I'm thinking the Savage clip fed bolt gun, the Henry youth A-Bolt, or the Savage 42 22LR/410 combo gun.)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Just curious, but why are you done with the semis?

sent from my igloo
    A few reasons. In regards to rimfires, they're just too high maintenance. While my Marlin Model 60 is 27 years old and this is the first complete breakdown and first part I've had to replace, it has always been more work than a bolt gun. Harder to clean, more complex, more pieces. When I was training with it for Hi-Power, I would have to tear it down and clean it at the range half way through the day. The Nylon 77 I have is about the same age. It belonged to a friend who never used it. The magazine won't stay in place and I can't find parts for it.

In regards to firearms in general, I just don't need the firepower or the rate of fire, etc. It's as though I'm trading reliability for something I can't use or don't want. The exception to that is I hunt birds with an autoloader shotgun. (Win Mod 50) which is very complex. From what I've read, the action has to be "timed" not unlike a car engine. (Fortunately, this is only required about every 10k rounds or so.) I've become very accustomed to getting that 2nd or 3rd shot off on fast flying birds very quickly, but I am beginning to mix it up a bit to try and gain some proficiency with my pump and side by sides.

In terms of living off the grid, out of the cash economy, which is my life's ultimate goal (not that I may ever achieve that) my future purchases always take reliability/durability and user serviceability into mind. So yeah, all of my future purchases will focused on the K.I.S.S. rule.

On a side note: I'm starting to wonder if having a semiauto encourages a waste of ammo, and with even 22LR prices going up, a slower rate of fire makes better economic sense.

Have not cleaned my 77/22 in over 10 years; still a tack driver.
    #Resist

On a side note: I'm starting to wonder if having a semiauto encourages a waste of ammo, and with even 22LR prices going up, a slower rate of fire makes better economic sense.
    The trigger finger is what controls it... but I get what you're saying. I switched to bolt guns for my .22s several years ago and never looked back. I wanted to replicate as much as possible the feel of shooting with my big game rifle- good trigger, good scope, good barrel. I do have a 10/22 for my kid and it works fine but I can't really elevate it much above plinker status.

I, for one, think a man's (or lady's) interest in shooting can be summed up by what kinds of .22s he owns. A good grade, bolt action .22 is something everyone ought to get for themselves at some point in their shooting career.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Have not cleaned my 77/22 in over 10 years; still a tack driver.
    That speaks volumes. (Just the fact that it still functions, let alone that it's still a tack driver.) I just perused gunbroker looking at some online; they're expensive guns, as much as 30-06, but like hodgeman said, built the same.

The trigger finger is what controls it... but I get what you're saying. I switched to bolt guns for my .22s several years ago and never looked back. I wanted to replicate as much as possible the feel of shooting with my big game rifle- good trigger, good scope, good barrel. I do have a 10/22 for my kid and it works fine but I can't really elevate it much above plinker status.

I, for one, think a man's (or lady's) interest in shooting can be summed up by what kinds of .22s he owns. A good grade, bolt action .22 is something everyone ought to get for themselves at some point in their shooting career.
    Since you mentioned 10/22, I know they're a better quality and more reliable than the Model 60s are, and, until recently, I was on the fence about buying one, perhaps the take down model. (I was also on the fence on one of those US Survival 22 AR7 clones as well.) I just can't get terribly excited about them.

That speaks volumes. (Just the fact that it still functions, let alone that it's still a tack driver.)
    Have shot a lot of CB Short lately, and am going to have to clean it now as the chamber has become fouled. Otherwise, I don't think I'd ever have to clean the bore.
    #Resist

I agree, but my shooting career is like a roll of toilet paper now (the lesser there is the quicker it vanishes). I like the Savage rifles due to their price point.

My dad bought me a 10/22 for my 9th birthday. 23 years of use and abuse and it is still going strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast