Thread: Rose colored 10/22 stock progress pics.

Default Rose colored 10/22 stock progress pics.

This is my second experiment dying a stock since an AK-47 enthusiast told me about the process. I'm pretty happy so far. Still looking for another stock to use my mixed dye on. I'm pretty happy with it. Hard to see how it really looks with the harsh overhead light on but you get the idea. The food coloring dyes the wood color and the boiled linseed oil still brings out the natural wood grain. Sat it next to my dad's 10/22 so you can see the difference. That plain-jane Ruger wood can be made pretty exceptional looking.

IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0019.jpg
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

After the first coat of Model 70 oil.

IMG_0025.jpg
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Pretty cool looking, how did you prep the wood?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Pretty cool looking, how did you prep the wood?
    Since it has no checkering, I scraped the bulk off with a razor blade. Then 120 grit and then 220 grit sand paper, then mineral spirits. Then I immediately started soaking it the linseed/dye mix. The nice thing about linseed oil is you can literally drench a stock with it and it just soaks into the wood. This helps kinda puff the grain up right after sanding and cleaning and really helps the dye soak in. Now I'm just applying layers of an oil that is for restoring pre-64 model 70's. I'll finish it off with Deft, I think.