Thread: Mountaineering Boot Comparison

Default Mountaineering Boot Comparison

I am looking to replace my Hanwag Alaska GTX boots and would like to know what Scarpa boots would be comparable in regards to stiffness, durability, etc. of the Hanwags. I have a fairly wide foot, but a narrow heel with low arches. I am looking at the Wrangell GTX (the replacement boot for the Liskumm) the Escape GTX and the Kinesis GTX. I am guessing that someone on the forum has used the Liskumm and can offer some help. Reviews I have read on all the Scarpa boots have all been favorable. I just want to know how they rate compared to the Hanwags. Thanks Lads.

I have a similar shaped foot, the La Sportiva Makalu has been a great boot for me....

I picked up a pair of Scarpa Triolets from Barneys in anchorage last year and love them I need an extremely wide toe box for my feet and they are the only boots I have found that fit this well. They are super rigid but no where near some of the plastic mountainering boots which never seem to fit me right.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

I have the Liskaams GTX, and they are an awesome boot. Lasted longer than the Lowas I had.

I have a pair of La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX that were awesome in the mountains.

And they are for sale in the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5-284 View Post
    I am looking to replace my Hanwag Alaska GTX boots and would like to know what Scarpa boots would be comparable in regards to stiffness, durability, etc. of the Hanwags.
    I have a set of Hanwag Alaskans, and while I haven't tried on the Wrangells, the older Liskamms I tried seemed to be much much stiffer than the Hanwags. Not sure about the others you mentioned, but the Alaskans are more "heavy hiker" than "mountaineering" in my book. If the Wrangells are in the same class as the Liskamms they replaced, then I suspect they aren't really directly comparable with the Alaskans.

Hope that helps,

Yk

I tried a pair of Liskamms year before last, and while they're a quality boot, they did not fit me well. I also have a narrow heel, and the heel box on the Liskamms was just too wide though everything else fit well. Heel ended up feeling sloppy and shifting around - bad on my feet so up for sale they went. But I know people who've worn them and love them. Try a pair on and see how they fit. As YK said, they're a very rigid boot.

cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for the info. So many boots, so many choices. The hard part is finding a place where you can try on all of these boots. Most stores don't carry a wide variety and sizes of top quality boots like the ones mentioned in this thread. Regardless, I appreciate the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    I picked up a pair of Scarpa Triolets from Barneys in anchorage last year and love them I need an extremely wide toe box for my feet and they are the only boots I have found that fit this well. They are super rigid but no where near some of the plastic mountainering boots which never seem to fit me right.
    I also have these boots and they are very good for a non-plastic boot. Their 3/4 shank gives great stiffness but does allow minimal flex for more natural walking.

I have a pair of Liskumms that I really like and have a ton of miles on them. Most of my sheep hunting is rock and talus fields and will kill a pair of boots in no time. Liskumms have the green dot Vibrum which is one of the hardest "rubbers" they make. Being green dot it is great for all the rock and talus but makes to soles supper slippery on wet rock and other wet surfaces. They wear very well being all leather compared to synthetic boots or half and half boots.
    Down sides:
    Since they are all leather it takes a good long time to break them in.
    When they get wet it will take days to dry them out because they are all leather.
    They dont breath well being all leather.

Plus side:
    You can have an all leather boot resoled if you love the boots.
    They wear very well
    If you like a stiff sole for hiking than the mountaineering aspect of these boots is great
    This will be my third season on them if something better does not come along. I cant say that for any of my other boots, they all are retired after 2 years if in sheep country.

I've never had the Hanwags but currently have three pair of Scarpa's; the Triolet, Charmoz, and Mustangs. For me, Scarpa makes the best heel cup of any boot I've found. The shape of the boot and padding around the heel is designed to keep your heel locked in place and not slopping around. I've tried on lots of boots and the fatal flaw in nearly all of them is their inability to secure the heel. The area of design on most Scarpas that may catch people is that the boot narrows very quickly along the pinky toe. With your wider feet this could lead to rubbing along your pinky toe. The Liskamm's I believe do have a slightly different toe box and offer a little more room along the outsides.

The Liskamm's have a big following but have never interested me too much. They are just too heavy and too tall for my liking. I've found other Scarpa mountaineering boots that offer excellent support without the weight.

Anyone ever try the Scarpa Kinesis? That boot looks pretty similar to the Hanwag...

They're listed as a backpacking boot so they'll have more flex than the Liskamm's but should still offer good support. With that said they look comparable to Kenetrek or the Hanwag's. They look pretty sturdy and have the features I like in a sheep boot; mid height boot, full rand, favorable weight. If I was looking for sheep boots I'd try them on if they were available. I wish those Escape's would show up around Anchorage so I could give them a try.

Thanks to all who offered advice. I will either try the Kinesis or just stick with the Hanwags. They have been very good boots. I would hate to guess how many miles i have put on them...1 goat hunt, 1 sheep hunt, 1 bear hunt plus lots and lots of training for each of those hunts...