Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EZ-pull pot puller experience ?

Default EZ-pull pot puller experience ?

Looking to see if any one in alaska has used the ez-puller motor for shrimping and what they though about it.

looking at getting the motor and mounting it on my ace frame.

motor is 1.3hp and is suppose to pull up to 150lbs.

Might be to small of motor for you but I spotted this on ebay yesterday when I was looking.

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Might be to small of motor for you but I spotted this on ebay yesterday when I was looking.

I know a guy that had/has one, didn't sound to impressed with it, he bought a electra dyne last year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

For the weekend warrior, I was at the SAC show this weekend in Cali and Scotty had their new puller on display. Looked like it was solid, might want to check it out. Pulls 100# at 100ft per minute though that remains to be seen. I will be getting one and can report back.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

If you're dropping multiple pots per string in PWS in upwards of 100 fathoms of water and weighting them so they get down a bit quicker and stay where you dropped them, then IMHO you want at least a safe-t-puller as the lesser pullers will simply burn up sooner than later.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

As Paul said, the Safe-t puller is the way to go. It's spendy, but it's worth the money to get the 300 lb puller.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

ya if I were going a couple times a month for the season then that is what I would get. I go about 2 or 3 times a season so its hard to spend 1500 on something I am not using all season. my ace puller works alright just the motor is laging and I can get the ez-puller motor and mount it on the ace frame and maybe just improve my set up is what I am hoping.

just looking for people who have experance with the ez-puller system.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    ya if I were going a couple times a month for the season then that is what I would get. I go about 2 or 3 times a season so its hard to spend 1500 on something I am not using all season. my ace puller works alright just the motor is laging and I can get the ez-puller motor and mount it on the ace frame and maybe just improve my set up is what I am hoping.
    just looking for people who have experance with the ez-puller system.
    While I do not have any experience with the ez-puller system, my wife and I spend a week in June shrimping with four pots, two lines of two pots. Sorry potbuilder, but our ace line hauler has done well for our limited use. While we enjoy shrimping and the spoils of the catch, it is hard to justify the expense of a professional puller. I have never loaded the ace hauler with more than two pots and it pulls them fine.

[QUOTE=greg01alaska;1232010]While I do not have any experience with the ez-puller system, my wife and I spend a week in June shrimping with four pots, two lines of two pots. Sorry potbuilder, but our ace line hauler has done well for our limited use. While we enjoy shrimping and the spoils of the catch, it is hard to justify the expense of a professional puller. I have never loaded the ace hauler with more than two pots and it pulls them fine.[/QUOTE

yup unless a person gets out quite a lot a Electra Dyne is expensive (but cheaper than some of the others) and i'm sure your hauler will continue to work well for you as long as you don't overload it. But will it pull your anchor and i'm sure you need to "help" it pull the rope but keeping constant tension on the roller. Stop by and say hello at the Fairbanks show !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have an Ace Line Hauler that I've used for several years. It's slow but steady for the most part, and cost lots less than the beefier pullers. But I've also used the beefier pullers and what a difference there is between the two. Downside to the beefier ones is the amount of space they take up on smaller boats (mine's 24'). If I had it to do all over again, and knew that I'd be shrimping for many years to come, then I would have looked more seriously at a beefier puller. Another downside to the Ace puller is the fuse. Last year I was pulling posts when the wind was howling, so the line was almost horizontal I was drifting so fast. Getting near the shore, the fuse blew. I raced to get another fuse in and it blew right away, too. Finally got my pots in after that. Too much strain on the puller. I'm going to probably switch over to the resettable type fuse for the coming season. Things go a little to hairy that one time.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I have an Ace Line Hauler that I've used for several years. It's slow but steady for the most part, and cost lots less than the beefier pullers. But I've also used the beefier pullers and what a difference there is between the two. Downside to the beefier ones is the amount of space they take up on smaller boats (mine's 24'). If I had it to do all over again, and knew that I'd be shrimping for many years to come, then I would have looked more seriously at a beefier puller. Another downside to the Ace puller is the fuse. Last year I was pulling posts when the wind was howling, so the line was almost horizontal I was drifting so fast. Getting near the shore, the fuse blew. I raced to get another fuse in and it blew right away, too. Finally got my pots in after that. Too much strain on the puller. I'm going to probably switch over to the resettable type fuse for the coming season. Things go a little to hairy that one time.
    If you get in a dangerous situation again just cleat off the rope and tow the pots till you get to a safe spot then worry about the fuse.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Even with the resettable fuse there will be a waiting period before you can resume pulling. By the time the circuit heats up enough to throw the fuse that fuse stays warm for awhile. If you just flip it back and start pulling right away it will just pop again. As potbuilder said, tow the pots then figure out the fuse situation.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Yep. That's what I finally ended up doing.

I dont mean to hi jack the thread...so moderater please delete if you feel I am.
    Speaking of the Ace Line Hauler and blowing fuses, how big a fuse do you think you could get away with? I love my Ace but if the wind is blowing me off the pots I will pop a fuse everytime. I have a 30 Amp fuse wired to mine. Not sure if thats what ace recommends or why I chose 30.
    SO how big is your ACE fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    I dont mean to hi jack the thread...so moderater please delete if you feel I am.
    Speaking of the Ace Line Hauler and blowing fuses, how big a fuse do you think you could get away with? I love my Ace but if the wind is blowing me off the pots I will pop a fuse everytime. I have a 30 Amp fuse wired to mine. Not sure if thats what ace recommends or why I chose 30.
    SO how big is your ACE fuse?
    How about powering into the wind as you pull your pots? That is what I do. It takes two people, but it is easier on the puller and you don't have to worry about dragging and hanging your pots. Just a thought.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The reason you are popping fuses is you are overheating the motor. If you use a bigger fuse, you'll burn out your motor. The fuse is sized to protect the motor, if you go to a bigger fuse, you've replaced burning out an inexpensive part for an expensive one.

While I can appreciate not wanting to take the plunge on a bigger puller, the real world conditions we face weather the wind blowing us away from the pots or one pot getting stuck in the muck really does call for a more powerful puller even if you don't bet out every weekend.

I find the safe-t-puller on the davit takes up very little space on a smaller boat. I remove and stow the powerhead when not using it and the davit is right against my cabin bulkhead and pivots out of the way.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    How about powering into the wind as you pull your pots? That is what I do. It takes two people, but it is easier on the puller and you don't have to worry about dragging and hanging your pots. Just a thought.
    Nice rig like that and no outside steering ? I would that would be standard on those boats ?? or do you have outside steering but with your hauler hanging off the end of the davit you need another person to guide the rope into the boat ?? I'm always running up/down/circles on my gear, just makes it all the more fun.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

i am looking at setting pots with my 22 foot jet boat 3 or 4 times a year what would work for me? I don't have a lot of space. But I don't want a piece of junk! Its cheaper to buy the right unit first, than to buy a cheaper poor working unit and up grade to a good one!!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Nice rig like that and no outside steering ? I would that would be standard on those boats ?? or do you have outside steering but with your hauler hanging off the end of the davit you need another person to guide the rope into the boat ?? I'm always running up/down/circles on my gear, just makes it all the more fun.
    Yea, the second steering station would be nice, but I was at the top end of my budget and the second steering station was not a priority. The oven and the espar were at the top of the list.

The safe-T-puller can be operated hands free, but we usually help guide the ground line into their bin. If the ED was offered setup so it could be mounted like my safe-T-puller I would be all over it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks Paul. I understand the purpose of the fuse. I am just curious if other folks are getting by using a slightly larger fuse. if I could protect the motor with a 45 amp fuse why use a 30 amp. The hauler did not come w a fuse (if memory serves) I wired the fuse seperatly and cant remember why I chose a 30 amp.
    yes, a nice newer bigger puller (and boat and house and ...) would be nice. But I only buy want I can afford. For the most part the Ace has served me just fine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast