Thread: Second Chance Lobo!

Default Second Chance Lobo!

Snagged this big ole Alfa Male Sat morning and what was so cool was that I had caught him about 3/4 miles away, across a major creek that is about 100yards wide and 2 - 4 foot deep, the Sat night before! I had caught him on the left hind foot the first time as he worked a dbl dirt hole setup. Since he had his front feet both free he must have got lucky working both springs on a MB650 releasing himself! His hind foot had very clear trap marks that should have easily held him the first time. We have nobody else running traps near us at this time that I am aware of so it all adds up pretty nicely! I can't recall catching a coyote that quickly a second time, perhaps a year later missing some toes - very cool!

When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Back foot pic, swelling is pretty evident.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Nice dog. Talk about unlucky. Him, not you. Nice surprise to see you out and about, I thought you were done for the season. I went and checked a few snares today, spent time trudging through snow, broke out new trail in an old wood cutting area, and found zero fresh sign. That includes 2 locations w/ "popsicles", 5 gallons of frozen, mashed up, stinky goodness. Not sure where everybody has gone.
    Congrats,
    ARR

Good on ya SMOKEY. When I first opened the page it looked weird to me, no snow, wide open field this can't be Alaska. Then I read it was you. Okay, got it now. Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Good on ya SMOKEY. When I first opened the page it looked weird to me, no snow, wide open field this can't be Alaska. Then I read it was you. Okay, got it now. Happy New Year.
    Happy New Year back at ya my friend! I wouldn't post IL coyotes on the AK site sir, so I am only taking pics of the ones that migrated down from your beautiful state to get away from all that snow for the winter!
    Actually I would like some snow, we got 1in of freezing rain Sat night - temps in the teens now and everything is a mess. Pulling the line Sat if its fit, may try to tag a couple more beavers but time to wrap it up on the doggy line as I am too old to work a day job and try to keep things working all iced up at night!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Nice dog. Talk about unlucky. Him, not you. Nice surprise to see you out and about, I thought you were done for the season. I went and checked a few snares today, spent time trudging through snow, broke out new trail in an old wood cutting area, and found zero fresh sign. That includes 2 locations w/ "popsicles", 5 gallons of frozen, mashed up, stinky goodness. Not sure where everybody has gone.
    Congrats,
    ARR
    Gonna hang it up Sat ARR, had a goal to catch ten coyotes and made that and conditions are getting pretty tough to keep stuff working. I would guess your coyotes have bred and denning up by now, females will travel but it will be a pretty tight circle, should be some "frisky" males still looking for love though!

depends on who you talk to, breeding season is Jan-Mar, or Feb-Mar. Jan would be a bit early I'd think around here. Pups would be born in deep cold. Even though they'd stay in the den, it would be harder.
    Heck, I'm hoping my lab female comes into season. If she does, I'll take her out w/ me and let her pee everywhere. That ought to gain some interest.
    ARR

You are correct ARR, they won't be fat with pups for a spell, however the females will stay close to their dens keeping other females out! Gotta love that female nesting thing! Grrrr
    I use droppings from my female lab at some sets and just douse them with fox or coyote urine, I can't see where it has any negative effect and coyotes especially like to investigate the new kid in their turf, especially the girlz!