Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor highway Caribou winter hunt

Default Taylor highway Caribou winter hunt

Was wondering if anyone has any advice and or knowledge for this winter hunt ??? Thanks in advance

Got Two last weekend. Road was in decent shape just stay on packed trail if you get off it will be hard to get back on. Just be prepared to put in alot of miles and hours. Max we would do was 20mph took along time to get anywhere. We decided to put in miles vs waiting for them. Payed off in the long run.

So does anyone have any new information on the winter hunting on the taylor hwy? looking to go up over the 1st of march.

Info from buddy is you can only drive to about mile 12 and then have to snowmachine the rest of the way. If there are any bou, they are up near the Y at mile 90 or so. That is a big if though.

Decision, decisions. Talked to a guy who was up there this last weekend and he said the road was fine but who knows what a week can do, and even another week from now. He said he was able to make it pretty far up the road and was able to park and go in on some packed trails with his wheeler and managed to get one.

Anyone looking to go this weekend? I'm considering it. PM me if your looking to go. Weather looks decent now. I know some winters you can drive a truck (carefully) right to Chicken though if you meet another rig going the other way it gets tricky. I am not sure what the conditions are like now though and I also heard that it was more a park south of 12-mile and snowmachine the rest of the way.

Yea the more people i have been talking to it seems it be the best to park at mile 12 and ride up further.

I was up there about a month ago. Road was two packed ruts and drive able to chicken in a pick up. Snowmachiners were having a hard time cuz of the ruts. If you got off the ruts it was hard to get back on top. Got one around mile 35-40. Again this was about a month ago, im sure things have changed.

Doesn't the season close the end of this month?

Quote Originally Posted by 800HMRK View Post
    Doesn't the season close the end of this month?
    Never mind, I see that they moved the close date up to the end of March. Guess I should have looked at the regs before opening my mouth.

heading up this weekend, cant wait. hope there is at least one bou out there still to be had!!!!

Seeing if the Taylor is drivable with 4WD vehicles at all, or if we should just use snowmachines. Also, how far up the road are people getting them.

Our group is leaving out Thursday and heading up past chicken and planning on camping up near the eagle cut off for 3 days, or until we nail some bou. We have been told that it is a hard drive past mile 12 with a truck but wheelers and snow machines are having no problems so that is what we are doing.

Can you report back how the conditions are going for using snow machines versus a 4WD vehicle?

If i have service when we get going up the road ill post really quick. Not sure how far ill make it up the road before i loose service. We wont be on snow machines were going to try and use our four wheelers.

Sounds like it was you guys we ran into yesterday around Taylor Mountain, later that night at Fast Eddy's. If so, mad props! 3 for 3 was some dam good odds. The snow sure didn't make things easy for you on atv.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

going to be headed out that way next weekend. we plan on running snow machines, how is the terrain off the road? what do you guys use for dragging the meat out? sleds towed by snow machines?

this is our first big game hunt and want to make sure we are squared away.

I'd check with the poker run schedule first. Today was a big run from Dawson city to Tok. Currently the trail is wide and in good shape.

We passed the above folks, they took in 4 wheelers and it was a long trip.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

MDCOA if you go in with snow machines you will have no problems. Call Tok fish and game before you leave. When talked to them they said something about possibly closing the road to start plowing around the 11th. We took in 4 wheelers and it was a *****, but we did it. We had sleds behind the wheelers but it was full of our gear and stuff so we gutted the bou and strapped the **** out of them to our wheelers and took off. It was rough but it was a great hunt. If you have more question PM me and I'll try to give you what information you might need.

Quote Originally Posted by jnjgaudette View Post
    MDCOA if you go in with snow machines you will have no problems. Call Tok fish and game before you leave. When talked to them they said something about possibly closing the road to start plowing around the 11th. We took in 4 wheelers and it was a *****, but we did it. We had sleds behind the wheelers but it was full of our gear and stuff so we gutted the bou and strapped the **** out of them to our wheelers and took off. It was rough but it was a great hunt. If you have more question PM me and I'll try to give you what information you might need.
    Were you at Fast Eddy's on Saturday night?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast