Thread: Low Light Iron Sights On Hunting Rifles...

Default Low Light Iron Sights On Hunting Rifles...

The thread on moonlight hunting brought a question to mind.

I have a set of aftermarket express dangerous game sights on my Remington 700 338 Magnum. They were made by XS Sight Systems but apparently no longer. They are nearly identical to the express type combat sights they make for handguns.

The rear sight has a vertical line of tritium facing the eye, while the front has a large white bead with a small dot of tritium in the center. These are without question the best iron sights I've ever used for fast shooting particularly in low light, but with the tritium are they legal for hunting in Alaska?

If not, it's a 2 minute job to take the rear blade & front bead off the factory base/ramp, and put the originals back on...

I canít comment on the actual law of the situation, but in my travels the only sights that I have come across as being against the law were Lasers, or any other sight that "projects a beam of light" on the animal. Since Tritium does not project any light on the target I donít see why it would be illegal to use themÖ they just help you with a better sight picture so you can make a better shot.

Here's what the 06-07 regs say, page 15:

You MAY NOT take game buy:

Using a pit, fire, artificial light, laser sight, electonically-enhanced night vision scope.....

EXCEPT:
    Artificial light may be used only in conjunction with a single, leased dog in tracking and dispatching a wounded big game animal.

When I researched this F&G told me as long as the scope did not project any light it was legal to use in Alaska.
    Tennessee

Default Legal Sight

You are legal. All that tritium does is let you see the green glo so you can orient your sights. Does nothing to help you see the target better.

Appreciate the straight info guys. Love those sights, will probably put them on the LH SS Browning 338 Mag I'm getting set up for Alaska...

Don't know why XS quit making them for hunting rifles as they're great. Even w/o the tritium, that flat express rear and big white front sight is the fastest thing this side of the XS Ghost Ring (have one of those on my Guide Gun)...

Wink

ND, e- mail law enforcement with your question, F&G may not be the ones giving you a summons, and keep the e- mail with you a trooper may see the reg diffrently.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30