Thread: SE AK Black Bear Question

Default SE AK Black Bear Question

I am planning a trip to SE AK for a boat based guided black bear hunt in a couple of years to the Prince of Wales area.

I see pricing from 4K to 6K+. Have read the info on their sites and don't see much difference in the service offered. Maybe a little fancier vessel.

What makes up the difference in the cost spread of 2K? Why would I want to pay 6K when I can pay 4K from what appears to be basically the same hunt?

This may be an unfair/loaded question. Would like some unbiased input please.

Am looking at 3 or 4 different outfitters. This would be a trip of a lifetime for me.

Paul

Yugo vs Mercedes? Nothing about the water, the bears, the shoreline, the forest, the rain, etc will vary at all based on what you pay.

Will you get more days? Do you have a boat captain and a guide? Will you be acessing more remote country? Is your guide willing and able to move should the location prove empty? What kind of food will be served? Do you have vehicles and/or transportation assistance to your major airline?

I don't have the answers to those questions but they are things I'd consider.

POW is huge so getting remote could prove valuable for finding a big old bear. If your guide has a nice vessel and the ability to use it you'll benifit.

Length of the trip. Does the guide drop you off, or take you to shore and guide you? Any other niceities such as does the boat drop off crab pots and feast you along the way, or is it Spamcation?

is one guided and the other just transport?i live on pow and a lot of the lodges use to do transport hunts, all they can do is go where you tell them to go. wink wink, and they provide food housing and crabbing and fishing if you tag out,not sure if many are doing it any more,there are not many licensed big game guide on the island that i know of i think they come out of ketchikan. but i could be wrong.is one you are looking at boardwalk buy chance? anyways there are a lot of bear on this island and i wouldn't mind them getting thind out some they eat a lot of deer.

On POW Island two guides work out of Ketchikan ... one guide works out of Wrangell ... and a couple from Sitka. One from Wa state, one from Cali. Two are not 'boat based' (including me) but do hunt via boats.

I guide and live (part time) on the Island.

Like stated above ... there are differences in the offerings. Some take 4 hunters and 2 guides per hunt, some take 2 hunters and 1 guide and others are 1x1 ... there are differences on 5 or 7 day hunts ... some provide transport from town to the field others don't. The reason that there ain't many Fishing Lodges doing the transport thing any more is because many have gotten busted for illeagle guide activities.

I'm headed down this June to Kuiu, $6k per person. But, the guide has a good reputation for big bears and a good trip. Yup, think it's steep, however this will be my ONE trip down like this (had to have a guide, as 2 of the other guys are NonRes) and might as well make it a good/fun/big animal success potential trip.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I have been looking at Jim Phillips and Brad Denison. Any one familiar with these two guides?

Johnnie, I will look at your hunt, too. Will be 2014 before I can go. Any help would be appreciated. This will be my first trip to Alaska.

Jim hunts NW Prince of Wales and Brad hunts Kuiu .... those are good areas to hunt.

Do non-res have to have a guide for black bear in the SE? They sure don't in the rest of the state.

Yep unless they draw a tag.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    The reason that there ain't many Fishing Lodges doing the transport thing any more is because many have gotten busted for illeagle guide activities.
    "Many have been busted"? Not so sure I'd slander the lodges on POW as law breakers. A few cases have been made to my memory, but most self guided operations have been law abiding. Tough business when you have the Guides lobbying as hard as they can to make it as risky and miserable as they can for any business that caters to the self guided hunter. I'd say the new reg that took Non-res to a draw, yet guaranteed tags to the guides is more responsible for lodges not transporting anymore.

When selecting a guide, look to skull sizes. Bears are all over the place on POW. Some guides will be happy with an 18" skull, others won't. As it was mentioned, a good boat to get to remote locations would be high on my list for that kind of money. If a guide is going to keep you local or on the road system.. you can draw the tag, rent a skiff, and do that yourself!