Thread: New style shrimp pot tunnel in my folding pots

Default New style shrimp pot tunnel in my folding pots

I came up with a new style of tunnel in my folding pots, i test fished some last year and i liked what i saw so what do you guys think ??? Change to this style or stay with my old style.
    Pots would still have 2 tunnels but instead of the wide oval shaped hoop in each tunnel the new style would have 2 round hoops in each tunnel. Let me know what you think !!!
    hooped tunnel.jpgP1121061.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

It seems like that would let out less shrimpies than the oval design.........sink em and the proof will be in the pudding....shrimp pudding...hmmmmm.

I`ll vote for the smaller holes. Mine end up with too many crabs with their large opening...they have since been modified.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I`ll vote for the smaller holes. Mine end up with too many crabs with their large opening...they have since been modified.
    Get out of the mud and the crabs will go away buddy

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Have you tried strapping two pots together side by side on the same line as a test? It seems like this would be a good way to tell how the pots are fishing without the variable of the specific location.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Get out of the mud and the crabs will go away buddy
    I knew you would get me on that one.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Don't know I can tell how many shrimp leave, my problem with bigger holes is more octopus...I've solved that by putting zip ties in my fixed pots...for some reason I don't seem to get octopus in the folding pots. So, I don't know but I would bet that two smaller holes would be better than one big one, in shrimp pots...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Don't know I can tell how many shrimp leave, my problem with bigger holes is more octopus...I've solved that by putting zip ties in my fixed pots...for some reason I don't seem to get octopus in the folding pots. So, I don't know but I would bet that two smaller holes would be better than one big one, in shrimp pots...
    A octopus has a built in gauge that let it know if it can fit into a opening, its their BEAK !!! if the beak fits the rest of their body will follow. As smart as them guys are i bet they are in and out of pots more than we know.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Have you tried strapping two pots together side by side on the same line as a test? It seems like this would be a good way to tell how the pots are fishing without the variable of the specific location.
    Do you mean tied together or just spaced on one line ?? If tied together i would think it would just share whats in front of the pots. I fished that 4 hooped pots for a few days setting in different spots/depths and it wished well.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I knew you would get me on that one.
    All in good fun my friend, you'd have plenty of good laughs at me if we went jigging together, yeah i'd be the guy with the jigmaster and the rod with the guides taped on .

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

All in good fun my friend, you'd have plenty of good laughs at me if we went jigging together, yeah i'd be the guy with the jigmaster and the rod with the guides taped on .
    LOL. Something tells me we would have a great time anyway!! Just tell me when to meet you at the boat and I`ll bring the new stuff.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Do you mean tied together or just spaced on one line ?? If tied together i would think it would just share whats in front of the pots. I fished that 4 hooped pots for a few days setting in different spots/depths and it wished well.

Steve,

My thought was that I often get differences along a string when I am trying different baits, etc, where it can be hard to tell if it is the location or the thing I am testing. With your square pots, I was thinking you could zip tie two pots together so that they are at the exact same location. If one is consistently out fishing the other one, it seems like it would be less likely that it was a coincidence than if they were just in a series in a string.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Steve,

My thought was that I often get differences along a string when I am trying different baits, etc, where it can be hard to tell if it is the location or the thing I am testing. With your square pots, I was thinking you could zip tie two pots together so that they are at the exact same location. If one is consistently out fishing the other one, it seems like it would be less likely that it was a coincidence than if they were just in a series in a string.
    OK i see what you mean now. Back in my lobstering days we knew we had a good pot when it would fish well no matter where we fished it. When i test fish any new designs i always move it around on the line to mix up where it fishes but i only fish 5 pot lines when play shrimping & fish 10-20 pot lines when doing it commercially. I cover a lot of ground and don't make long soaks so my gear get exposed to a lot of bottom.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

A octopus has a built in gauge that let it know if it can fit into a opening, its their BEAK !!! if the beak fits the rest of their body will follow. As smart as them guys are i bet they are in and out of pots more than we know.
    In more then I like!!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Bigger tunnels fish faster than smaller, but the shrimp leave quicker too. In Washington we have the Hood Canal fishery that is 4 hours a day for 4 days. To fish it you use bigger tunnels, mixed loose very oily bait. Very short soaks and very productive. These are usually 4" openings.

The other non Hood Canal is 8 hour days a couple of days where we use about 3" ringed openings and pull 45 min-2 hours max.

I like to put bait in a mesh bag too, mainly sardines so the shrimp stay in and keep eating until you pull them. The anhilate the sardines.

Back when our seasons lasted for months and were not very well known, we left pots out and went off fishing for the day. Have had many pots with Octopus in them. You will find opaque shrimp shells broke in half totally empty. That is how you will know. Back before pots with soft nets we have now, we used McKay square metal pots and the openings were 2" x 2" square. Octopus still got in them.

I do like the tunnels. I noticed since we switched to nylon meshed pots for shrimp we did better and I think your openings are going to work great. I also liked your openings on the tanner pots that you built. Do you sell your tanner pots in Washington state?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinnut View Post
    I do like the tunnels. I noticed since we switched to nylon meshed pots for shrimp we did better and I think your openings are going to work great. I also liked your openings on the tanner pots that you built. Do you sell your tanner pots in Washington state?
    I could ship some down there.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692