Thread: remington cor lokt bullets in 30'06 on black bear / caribou

Default remington cor lokt bullets in 30'06 on black bear / caribou

I read a lot of reviews about this ammo in 180 grain for the 30'06 and people really seemed pleased with it. I normally shoot nosler 180 but noticed the price difference was $23.00 for remington. and $49.00 for noslers.
    At this difference in price are they worth hunting with for caribou and black bears I have used nosler all the time so I don't have experience. Does anyone have any real life use on game up here.
    Thanks

My most frequently used ammo is 30-06 core-lokt in 150 grain. I have thus far taken moose, caribou, deer, wolf, and sheep with this bullet with excellent performance. My wife has similarly used core-lokt in 7mm-08 140 grain for caribou, deer, and black bear. It's always been my go-to bullet.

180 grain c-loks work excellent...... They expand and perform perfectly on all Alaska game I've taken, and that's moose, deer, goat, blackies and Griz. For the price you can't go wrong.

Release Lake Trout

While I don't hunt with Core-Locts I have seen that they can work. I'm sure they work about as often as anything else, but then when I consider the amount of money the rest of the hunt is costing me I ask myself if I should be saving 20 bucks on a box of shells on a hunt that is at least costing hundreds and often thousands of dollars and I buy the Nosler Partitions instead. I don't know how many animals you shoot, but a box could last years. I sight in and practice with less expensive ammo with similar trajectories. YMMV

Last night for dinner I had caribou that was killed last August (thanks bro!!) with a Ruger all-weather 280 Rem. and 150gr Core Lokt. It worked...

Spend nothing to hunt so core-lokt works fine for me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OH NO. You musn't.

Using a Cheep Boolit could RUIN your spensive hunt.

BUT, on the other hand, if things go awry, you could blame it on the cheep boolit.

Seriously, I'm of the opinion that so-called Premium bullets are only called for when velocity is high and bullets are too light.

I would use a 180 in a 30-06, but if I used a 150, l'd go with the Nosler P T.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My 30-06 has always been and always will be my goto gun with I am back in Maryland's eastern shore deer hunting. While i know the game difference between MD and AK are large, I can comment on the bullet performance pm whitetails. I have shot them with both cor lokt 180 grain, sirocco 150's and fustion 150's. They all preformed excellently on deer and have no doubts they would do well for the Alaskan game you plan to take. Personally my favorite is the Sirocco's due to how flat they shot and devastated whatever they came in their way however, both the Fusion and Cor Lokt preformed excellently and would have no issue with taking them into the field any day.
    If you ask me, I think the Cor Lokt will treat you just fine on Black bear and caribou up here. There is a reason the Cor Lokt has been around for a long time, and thats because it works.

I have no qualms using the CoreLokt in an '06. None.

.308 Corelokts are engineered to perform at '06 velocities and after decades of making them- they've had it right for a long time now.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Re: remington cor lokt bullets in 30'06 on black bear / caribou

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Spend nothing to hunt so core-lokt works fine for me.
    Really? No gas, no time, no associated equipment and gear? You just open the door in your skivvies and drop what you can see from your porch? I'm jealous!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

While I lived in Idaho I harvested years of mule deer, black bear, and elk. It took only one Cor-lokt and a beautiful elk hobbling away to convert me to premium bullets and reloading. It takes only one shot to ruin a hunt so you need to decide what that's worth.

Although I reload 200 grn. Nosler partitions now, I have used PLENTY of Core-lokt slugs in the past. When I first bought my 8mmRem Mag here in AK. I used both the 180 and 220 Core-lokt slugs. They preformed perfectly on "most" moose, as I was able to find the slugs almost completely intact on the opposite side against the skin. I guess "perfectly" is a relative term here, as some like a complete pass through for double the blood loss. But I've always favored the bullet stay intact in the animal, absorbing all the energy the slug can deliver. Thus I like finding the slugs logged against the skin on the other side of the animal. That being said tho, there were a few times the core-lokt did in fact come apart as well. How much so I can't be sure as all those slugs were not recovered, but bits and pieces were found a number of places in the animal.
    "The emotions that good hunters need to cultivate are love and service more than courage. The sentiments of the hunt then become translated into art." James Swan, In Defense of Hunting

I had several core-lokt bullets fall apart..as well as Sierra Game Kings. I would find the cup, and pieces of lead for those that fell apart. I still use them though since they're relatively inexpensive to shoot in excess and I love to practice. I still remember as a young shooter that I hunted with them exclusively and they served me well. But I've moved toward using premium bullets because I lacked the confidence that they'd "stay together" and not fall apart if you put one through the shoulders. And as we all know, sometimes you need to anchor an animal in his tracks and can't afford anything less.

Happy hunting with whatever you decide to use.

I like corelokt ammo in general, have used it in my 06, 270, 338 and 30/30 . Shot alot of deer with em in wisconsin and texas. And on the hunts ive had the opportunity to take in your state they have been loaded in my rifle magazine. Try shooting them into a stack of wet half frozen phone books and test em against the other brands as a comparisson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I read a lot of reviews about this ammo in 180 grain for the 30'06 and people really seemed pleased with it. I normally shoot nosler 180 but noticed the price difference was $23.00 for remington. and $49.00 for noslers.
    At this difference in price are they worth hunting with for caribou and black bears I have used nosler all the time so I don't have experience. Does anyone have any real life use on game up here.
    Thanks
    Here's a link to an interesting thread on bullets. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...xpansion-chart

There is a reference to a bullet expansion chart that I found interesting. When we recover bullets, we like to compare them to the chart and our recovered bullets look like theirs more or less. If that look is what you're going for .. then so be it.

But if you're going to hunt black bears in brown bear or grizzly territory, consider a Barnes TSX or a bonded bullet in 180 or 200 gr regardless of the price difference.

CorLokt bullets have been around longer than me, ergo they must be at least as good as I am.
    LOL, works for me! :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I have only shot one animal with a Core Lokt bullet so my experience is limited. It was a 150 gr bullet out of my 7mm Rem Mag factory loaded. I shot a doe this year in Kansas in the shoulder and the bullet broke the shoulder but didn't penetrate behind it. Didn't hit the lungs or heart or anything else. After the doe ran a couple circles she stopped and I put another one in her and that one went straight through. I guess to me I won't take shoulder shots with these bullets anymore but it could have been a fluke deal. I'm just glad I was able to put her down, would have felt real bad if she ran off and I didn't recover her.