Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Platform Hunting Rifles

Default AR Platform Hunting Rifles

IF in a few months the government decided that the ONLY firearms available in the US would be built on the AR platform. Would you turn in your hunting guns and or quit hunting ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    IF in a few months the government decided that the ONLY firearms available in the US would be built on the AR platform. Would you turn in your hunting guns and or quit hunting ?
    If as you hypothetically propose the only firearms in existence were on AR platforms, I wouldn't have any to turn in, 'cause I have no interest in the AR platform. Would I quit hunting? No.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

Straw man argument.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Straw man argument.
    Uh-huh.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Uh-huh.

NOPE don't want an argument just an answer would you covert to hunting with an AR or quit hunting a simple answer not an argument.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    NOPE don't want an argument just an answer would you covert to hunting with an AR or quit hunting a simple answer not an argument.
    No, I would not convert to hunting with an AR. No, I would not quit hunting.

I already hunt with an AR so perhaps I would be ahead of the "game"...

A bullet comes out of an AR barrel just the same as any other...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would give up hunting.

I'm under the impression that ARs are not entirely suitable for hunting, when compared to most hunting rifles.

Sure they can be used for hunting, but they are handicapped with being either too heavy or chambered for under powered cartridges.

This is why there are so many new cartridges for them nowadays, all of which are compromises in design, and OAL.

That said, they are immensly popular and WILL be used successfully for hunting and everything else.

And, of course, ARs are a boon to the gun industry, and boosts the popularity of the shooting sports immeasurably.

The AR craze is BEEG. Bigger than any gun fad I can think of, and there's no end in sight.

It's the departure from the norm, and the traditional aspects of hunting that would keep me from hunting with one. The image of a man and an AR seems to be one of a warrior, rather, than of a hunter.

Also, there doesn't seem to be anything artistic about an AR type firearm.

On the other hand, there is a lot o f METAL to engrave and I SUPPOSE one could fit some WOOD stocks.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I would still hunt and tyrants the target,no AR for me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well if I had to, as in ARs are the only guns around Id build me a flat top AR10 in 358 Winchester something like this:
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=36767

But Id be very tempted to use it to get my other guns back!

Default AR Platform Hunting Rifles

In guessing that there would be a lot of guys that would go underground with their bolt action rifles. Good thing we sold all of ours

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    a flat top AR10 in 358 Winchester something like this: http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=36767
    WOW! I mean...huh...I...I just never would have imagined that several pieces of expensive walnut and case colored steel could be fashioned to have all the aesthetic attraction of a 1972 avocado green refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well if I had to, as in ARs are the only guns around Id build me a flat top AR10 in 358 Winchester something like this:
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=36767

But Id be very tempted to use it to get my other guns back!
    At 5K I wonder how many they have sold!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I love hunting and firearms. It would be very upseting, however, I would still like to hunt. Being a law abiding citizen I would opt for the legal AR. The only way I would not hunt, is if hunters collectively boycotted all hunting to protest the siege of traditional rifles, or some such senerio.

After spending the last few years messing around with my AR's, I really think that a segment of the market is really being missed by gun makers. One of the reasons the AR platform is so popular is it's modularity. I can pull off a 12" CQB barrel and replace it with a 20" precision barrel with a couple basic tools in under a half hour. I can change calibers between several different types by just changing barrels. Stocks, handguards, sight systems, all in the matter of minutes. If somebody built a reasonably priced bolt action chassis that was light weight and used the barrel mounting, handguard and stock mounting system of the AR, people would be all over it. Offer it in different action lengths too.

AR's are simply fun. My daughter and I have been building her a 6.8 SPC hunting rifle and we've had a great time assembling it together. By putting it together completely she has learned how the whole system operates. She has time with dad invested in building this thing and it means more to her than the 7-08 I bought her a couple years ago. The added plus is that she shoots an AR platform far better offhand and from field positions than she ever has shot a bolt gun.

I do agree, though, with Smitty that the .223 sized AR platform is marginal for Alaskan use when it comes to cartridges available. We won't be shooting this 6.8 at moose or big bears. It's a wolf, coyote, deer, black bear and close range caribou gun.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think the question ties two unrelated things... If I could only have ARs, I'd have an AR and hunt with it. Wouldn't be happy about it but I would because I'm a hunter, period. Although in my experience ARs are not optimally configured hunting weapons (my opinion, I know) I would have no choice but to carry on in much the same way our fellow hunters in Eastern Russia use surplus Soviet SKS carbines...hardly ideal but they make it work because it's one of the few options available to them.

Of course in a purely hypothetical way- if I could only own a single shot rifle, a blackpowder rifle, a shotgun or a bow- I'd still be a hunter and I'd still be unhappy about it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If I had to just use a ar I would get a 20" barrel 338 federal

so I thought about this.. I pick hunting rifles not necessarily for looks but for performance and dependability so my answer is it simply depends.I put my hunting gun through hell,dunked it in a few creeks,got it covered in mud beat it up in the brush,even had to scrape rust off it after being in the Kodiak salt for 10 days chasing bears. I only have limited knowledge on the AR's but if they can do all that then yes I would hunt with one,if not I will stick with my bow..

why hasn't some company or enterprising smith built one for the WSM family ?

I would never willingly turn in any of MY guns. Concerning hunting with the AR platform. I currently hunt predator hunt with one in .223 and have had excellent results. I also deer hunt with one chambered in 6.8 SPRII with excellent results as well all kills have been one shot without long tracking jobs. I also hunt black bear over bait with an AR in .458 SOCOM, have killed two bears with it and to say the performance is devistating would be an understatement. So yes I do and would hunt with the AR platform, however I would not stop hunting with my other bolt guns when the situation called for one of them. Guns are tools and I match the tool to the job at hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast