Thread: round nose vs pointed

Default round nose vs pointed

So I learned years ago that a roundnose bullet transmits energy quicker or a bigger thump(cant really remember which) at close range then a pointed bullet.. Since then I have always carried one on my stock for chasing bears in the brush but have yet to test it.. I have shot a few charging critters including Brown bear but all have been with a 400gr barnes x out of my 416 weatherby.. When cleaning my gun a couple of weeks ago the thought poped into my head again about the round vs pointed and wanted to ask all here what your thoughts are on the subject.. Again I am talking close quarters and yes I do understand different bullet construction..thanks..

You must be young having Barnes X your hunting time. I belive blunt does better but thats all I've ever used. It might not make as big a difference once past 30cal. you are getting a fair size hole with both styles. I know in 30-06 I like the 220rn over the 220 pointed but no real proof to my thoughts.I know wide flat nose works better in handguns so why not rifles.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I believe a RN bullet does transmit energy into the target animal quicker. More importantly- I believe a RN bullet is easier to engineer to perform more consistently over a wider velocity range than a sharp pointed spitzer bullet. Collectively we are fascinated by velocity and ballistic charts and bullet drop at long range- but realistically we tend to shoot game between a hundred and two hundred long paces so all that high speed, low drag engineering is for nothing. Art Alphin has some interesting stuff to say on the subject and doesn't think spitzer bullets have any purpose until 300yds.

Bullet performance however is very important, no matter near or far. I have been fascinated by all the high BC, boat tail bullets smoking downrange....but I remember back to when I was a kid. I flattened a number of whitetails with FP 30-30 rounds, certainly the range was moderate but I've hit the same critters with .308 and '06 rounds at similar ranges and bullet performance was more variable for sure.

I found a small supply of Federal 150gr RN ammo for my .270 at basically the same price as new brass...call me nuts but I'm thinking I'll try them on critters.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Round nosed bullets (solids) tend to penatrate straighter than pointy expanding bullets. Round nosed bullets transmit energy to the target faster than pointy bullets, as the frontal area is what tranmits enegy, that's why bullets expand. The faster the expansion the faster the transmission of egergy this also is matched with the degradation of the bullet as it passes through tissue, high speed tends to cause bullets to overexpand and explode causeing shallow wounds. Therefore bullets should be matched to rifle velocities to ensure controlled expansion in the desired animals.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hey Amigo thanks I do feel quite young...well at least today.. Thanks for the replies appreciate it.. Brav01 the bullet I keep is actually a factory 400gr round nost sft poind,sorry I didnt clarify. Again my thinking was for this to transmit the energy as quick as possible to a bear in the brush to kill him quicker but one of my concerns was the overexpanding that you brought up and what effect if any that would have at a close range..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Hey Amigo thanks I do feel quite young...well at least today.. Thanks for the replies appreciate it.. Brav01 the bullet I keep is actually a factory 400gr round nost sft poind,sorry I didnt clarify. Again my thinking was for this to transmit the energy as quick as possible to a bear in the brush to kill him quicker but one of my concerns was the overexpanding that you brought up and what effect if any that would have at a close range..
    IF it's a currently manufactured round it should be up to the task of impact at close range on dangerous game, not sure if the game is up to the bullet though!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I donít think itís gonna amount to a hill of beans one way or the other in your 416 but the more blunt the larger the temporary wound channel. Also the more blunt the more likely to retain mass because itís just a more compact hunk to start with, like chucking glass at a brick wall a ball of glass will tend to stay in larger hunks than a longer glass rod of the same mass would.

I think (and this is no more than my own thinking) it has to do with some equitation of the frontal area contacting an object trying to stop verses the amount of mass trying to push it through. A small frontal area and big mass pushing it kind of wants to turn everything inside out, sort of shove an apple core out of the middle. With a full diameter flat nose the entire bullet becomes the apple core so doesnít try to invert the same way. So the more blunt the more it would tend to hang onto its mass. Now if your pushing it so fast that the alloy canít take it and just splats like a water balloon all bets are off.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I donít think itís gonna amount to a hill of beans one way or the other in your 416 but the more blunt the larger the temporary wound channel. Also the more blunt the more likely to retain mass because itís just a more compact hunk to start with, like chucking glass at a brick wall a ball of glass will tend to stay in larger hunks than a longer glass rod of the same mass would.

I think (and this is no more than my own thinking) it has to do with some equitation of the frontal area contacting an object trying to stop verses the amount of mass trying to push it through. A small frontal area and big mass pushing it kind of wants to turn everything inside out, sort of shove an apple core out of the middle. With a full diameter flat nose the entire bullet becomes the apple core so doesnít try to invert the same way. So the more blunt the more it would tend to hang onto its mass. Now if your pushing it so fast that the alloy canít take it and just splats like a water balloon all bets are off.
    Thanks Andy,yeah I never really felt undergunned in any way as at close range I've got plenty of power to spare.. For me its one of those things that have become a habbit,kind of like the baseball player wearing the same socks or something. Just honestly never really knew all the whys of the roundnose vs point but thought to myself maybe it could be translated to lesser calibers. Trust me in my work over the years I have seen all kinds of bullets perform all different ways and of course believe the best bullets are controlled expansion,but honestly dont remember too many roundnose being used with the exception of a couple of 30caliber 220'S. I think Hodgeman's points are pretty valid also and will have to say when I did in fact practice with my 416 the 400gr horandy roundnose were without a doubt the best shooting for me..

I have been thinking the same thing and just purchased some hornaday 416 dgx dangerous game expanding they are a round nose cut off to a flat point they ard designed to transfer energy quicker is what they say. Plus they are $75 a box. I am going to try them and check performance.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    I have been thinking the same thing and just purchased some hornaday 416 dgx dangerous game expanding they are a round nose cut off to a flat point they ard designed to transfer energy quicker is what they say. Plus they are $75 a box. I am going to try them and check performance.
    hey blackbear thanks for pointing those dgx out, havent seen those and will have to look into them a little closer...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    So I learned years ago that a roundnose bullet transmits energy quicker or a bigger thump(cant really remember which) at close range then a pointed bullet.. Since then I have always carried one on my stock for chasing bears in the brush but have yet to test it.. I have shot a few charging critters including Brown bear but all have been with a 400gr barnes x out of my 416 weatherby.. When cleaning my gun a couple of weeks ago the thought poped into my head again about the round vs pointed and wanted to ask all here what your thoughts are on the subject.. Again I am talking close quarters and yes I do understand different bullet construction..thanks..
    woodleigh takes the cake with their roundnosed bullets. I'm really impressed with the weight offerings, it brings a serious level of animal-stopping power to cartridges like the 338-06, the 35 whelen, and the 9.3.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Some manufcturers have discontinued RN bullets.

Sierra 170 grain 7mm & Hornady 154 grain 7mm.

I have one rifle that doesn't feed RN bullets.

RN bullets have been accurate for me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If you're looking for a round nose for the 416, consider A-squares. They are a bit spendy though.

Default Re: round nose vs pointed

Doesn't woodliegh also sell them?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Doesn't woodliegh also sell them?

Ron
    Could you please attach a link!

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Flat nosed bullets hit the hardest, "cutting" the widest wound channel, rather than just "pushing" material out of the way like spitzer or round nosed bullets do. They also penetrate the straightest. The most devastating large bore bullets now on the market are made by Cutting Edge Bullets. They are monometal hollow points which create ghastly wound channels with near solid bullet penetration as well. Expensive, but the best.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...&category=BULL

I've shot three roundnosed handloads:

310 grain woodleigh/358 winchester, 300 grain woodleigh/ 375 winchester, and finally, a 286 grain woodleigh swaged down from .366" to .358".

I'm very interested in trying the 320 grain roundnosed bullet in the 9.3x62. I should be able to get 2,400 fps from this bullet.

The 320 grainer at 2400 fps would be a killer combo for a camp gun.