Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bearcat, Tundra, or Scandic?

Default Bearcat, Tundra, or Scandic?

Hello. I am new to snowmachining (kind of). I had snowmachines when I was a kid and I have done a lot of riding with my friends who own snowmachines, but I have not personally owned one myself yet. I am wanting to get into it and mainly looking into buying some type of utility sled. My wife and I are interested in purchasing some remote land and we would like to build a cabin at some point. I would need a machine that can haul all the house logs, tools, and lumber out to the property. I have been reading about the different types of machines and I am kind of leaning towards either an Arctic Cat Bearcat, or else a Ski-doo Tundra or Scandic. My question to the experts is could tell me some of the pros and cons of the different make and models. I appreciate the advice.

The Bear cat and the skandic can handle heavier loads. Tundra does well also i prefer the tundra as it is more manuverable in the woods but is very tippy do to narrow ski stance but will go anywhere.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Having owned utility machines of all brand you mention, I can tell you right now, that the ski-doo line-up is light years ahead of the others. The new bearcats are laden with problems, you couldn't pay me to own one, though the older ones are excellent.

If going new, a skandic widetrack or super wide track is top of the line stuff.

I jumped on a 2012 skandic superwidetrack and beat the crap out of it. absolute monster of a machine. The suspension was comfortable, but still a super wide track though. It became more comfortable with two five gallon jugs on the back. When you talk about hauling building materials, a wide track may be best.

matnaggewinu

It is hard to beat a super wide for working. If they can't pull it you need a sno cat. The issue is they are hard on the hips over long hauls. For a work sled I would get the WT. If I wanted a good work sled and was keeping it for a trail sled afterwards I would get an expedition or bearcat. I talked with a freighter out of Deshka Landing and he puts a few thousand miles a season on a sled, he went to a bearcat this season. I don't think you can go wrong with a scandic, just test ride one if you can.

I just got a 2013 Skandic WT. It is to replace my last Skandic, a '92 377. If the new one turns out to be as durable as the old one, it will last the rest of my riding days. My old one is still going strong, me, not so much. I wanted a more civilized ride.

I can't believe how much they have advanced, like night and day. I chose the 600 ACE 4 stroke engine. It is now getting just under 20 mpg, which is sweet.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The new bearcats are laden with problems, you couldn't pay me to own one, though the older ones are excellent.
    Thanks to all for your replies. Sounds like the scandic are really top of the line. Mainer, I am wondering if you would mind sharing some of the problems you referred to? I was actually kind of leaning towards a bearcat before this, now some of the comments here have me questioning?

Also, another question to all. I noticed that many of the machines come in either a 4 stroke or 2 stroke? Other than the fact that one uses mixed gas and one doesn't what are the differences? Are there any advantages to either of them? In particular in cold weather? How about electric start vs. pull start? I am noticing a lot of the newer machines are electric start. Do they still make pull start? I am assuming the electrics are run off a battery and therefore could be a problem in cold weather. Is this true? Thanks for all the help to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks to all for your replies. Sounds like the scandic are really top of the line. Mainer, I am wondering if you would mind sharing some of the problems you referred to? I was actually kind of leaning towards a bearcat before this, now some of the comments here have me questioning?
    I have a 2010 Bearcat 570XT that's had a bunch of electrical problems, so now I pretty much rely on the pull start. (Also because when I put a jumper battery on it the starter spins but doesn't crank the engine). When it goes, it really goes - I have no complaints with how it rides. To be honest I would have gotten a Skandic but when I went into Compeau's they totally ignored me and I could not find a salescritter to save my life. So, I hopped back in the car and went down to Northern Powersports, and they were fantastic to deal with.

I need to take it in - I believe most of the problems are fixable.

If you haven't seen this, you should:

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    I have a 2010 Bearcat 570XT that's had a bunch of electrical problems, so now I pretty much rely on the pull start. (Also because when I put a jumper battery on it the starter spins but doesn't crank the engine). When it goes, it really goes - I have no complaints with how it rides. To be honest I would have gotten a Skandic but when I went into Compeau's they totally ignored me and I could not find a salescritter to save my life. So, I hopped back in the car and went down to Northern Powersports, and they were fantastic to deal with.

I need to take it in - I believe most of the problems are fixable.

If you haven't seen this, you should:

Wow!!! Thanks for the video. That was very enlightening.

Bushwhack, I've talked to many old men who buy new utility machines year after year who recreate around my remote property. Right now, there was snow up to the power lines up in northern maine, all sorts of family/friends back home are buying new sleds too.

Never a single complaint on the new skandics/tundras. But PLENTY of complaints from newer bearcat owners. Some problems even go ignored. All the idler wheel bearing are cheap Chinese junk too, not the good Amercian or Jap made one. They will go in the first season.

Though I've owned a couple bearcats (98 and 2000), again, you couldn't pay me to own the new ones. Yamaha viking is decent too. Mr. Pid knows a ton about them, though they are insanely heavy. I'm not brand loyal and even viewed ski doo as total crap for many years. Right now though, they're top of the line, and light years ahead of the others. You don't need the 600 etec, the 600 ace is top dog for a utility machine. the 600 etec is to much "toy boy" power and not needed. It has the horsepower of 800 cc engines from years past, and requires premium fuel. Not so with the 600 ace.

Don't take my word for it though, talk with some 600 ace owners. When I drove one, the grunt started at low rpms, I was impressed.

matnaggewinu

I have a 2013 Bearcat LT and I love it. It cost me less that $8000, and thats with the upgraded bumper and tall windshield. Hauls heavy loads very easy, and is a very comfy ride. I did hear there was a recall on the starters for the 2010-2012 Bearcats, not sure if thats 100% accurate though. I have a little over 200 miles on mine only, but its been a great machine so far!

I also have the 2012 bearcat and love it. I pull loads to the cabin and run a trapline every weekend and have had zero problems. There are 3 guys up at the lake that run the scandics. I towed one out last year and the others have had lots of electrical issues. Mostly resistors, other problems where broken suspensions. Couldn't pay me to own a Scandic...

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The new bearcats are laden with problems, you couldn't pay me to own one, though the older ones are excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Couldn't pay me to own a Scandic...
    Huh, that's funny. Sounds like their are opinions on both sides of the spectrum here. What about pull starts? I am noticing all the newer sleds are electric start. Do they have pull starts for a back up on all models with electric starts? Does it matter if you have a battery or not if you have a pull start? I have seen machines without batteries in them and only a pull start. What are the advantages or disadvantages? How about 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke? What's the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks to all who responded. rep points coming. Oops sorry trailblazer I have to wait to give you rep points.

The 4 strokes do not have pull starts to the bets of my knowledge. They would be a bear to pull start.

The 4 strokes get way better fuel mileage and do not use any oil.

2 strokes are all oil injected these days so you do not have to mix the oil with the fuel.

Most 4 strokes made now start well in cold weather but Yamaha has come up with a remote start that you can set a timer on so it will fire up every now and then during the night when you are in remote locations in extreme cold. I don't think anyone else has this yet.

The 4 strokes are heavier.

If you go 2 stoke it is nice having electric start, then you have three ways to start your sled incase something breaks.

As far as the brand comparisons go, everyone has their brand they prefer and all sleds break down so good luck finding one out there that doesn't have someone saying bad stuff about.

Although I don't own one everybody I know that got one of the skandic WT 600 ace just absolutely love them and I haven't heard anything bad yet, gee if only I had ten grand!!!!!
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

I do dearly love my 800cc 2010 Skandic. I've used it a fair amount this yr and no problems as of yet. It has about 2100 miles on it and it goes anywhere.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    ... Do they have pull starts for a back up on all models with electric starts? .. What are the advantages or disadvantages? How about 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke? What's the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks to all who responded. rep points coming. Oops sorry trailblazer I have to wait to give you rep points.
    Mine came with an emergency pull rope, but the salesman said it won't work. Over on dootalk, a guy starts his 600 by removing the belt prior to trying to start the motor. Haven't tried it.
    I gave a lot of thought as I tend to be solo and overnight is always a possibility. I decided to go for it and if I went remote, then take the 1kw genny or a jump pack that I could keep warmer. I think there are better batteries out there and will upgrade.

I love that I am getting over 17 mpg, and it is improving on that.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    ... Mostly resistors, other problems where broken suspensions...
    What I have read about indicates loose connector nuts on relays that are getting hot. Hot enough to melt plastic.
    Haven't heard about any broken suspensions. It's a boatload better than my old one!

The project I am running bought 8 new ski doos. They are getting ridden by mostly novice riders hauling heavy loads up on Turnagain Pass. So far (knock on wood) one Expedition has had an exhaust pipe bolt back out. That one went to town for warranty work. They seem to be a good batch.

The Expeditions have the 550 fans (2 stroke) and they use 2-3x the fuel.

Keep asking questions and listen to the bearcat owners, we ALMOST went that way. I had never been on one and that influenced my decision.
    We researched it well before we pulled the pin on 8 new macines that need to survive the job.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

After much research and 28 years of various Polaris machines. I bought a spring order SkiDoo Expedition SE with the 600 etec. It has 2 speed trans, air adjustable rear suspension, removable passenger seat (replaced with a rack), and came with a 1500 lb Warn winch. Zero miles so far due to limited snow, but riding with etecs convinced me it was time to switch. I ordered the pull start kit (yes, it will fit) because of a 125 mile tow at -40 with a broken starter on my 4 stroke. I will never buy another machine without a back up starting device.
    My friend is on starter #3 on his 570 Bearcat and about bearing #5 on bogie wheels. He fills that 17 gallon tank pretty often.(About 7-15 mpg depending on conditions and load) To give it some credit, it rides gret and pulls a large load well.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Mine came with an emergency pull rope, but the salesman said it won't work. Over on dootalk, a guy starts his 600 by removing the belt prior to trying to start the motor. Haven't tried it.
    I gave a lot of thought as I tend to be solo and overnight is always a possibility. I decided to go for it and if I went remote, then take the 1kw genny or a jump pack that I could keep warmer. I think there are better batteries out there and will upgrade.

I love that I am getting over 17 mpg, and it is improving on that.

What I have read about indicates loose connector nuts on relays that are getting hot. Hot enough to melt plastic.
    Haven't heard about any broken suspensions. It's a boatload better than my old one!

The project I am running bought 8 new ski doos. They are getting ridden by mostly novice riders hauling heavy loads up on Turnagain Pass. So far (knock on wood) one Expedition has had an exhaust pipe bolt back out. That one went to town for warranty work. They seem to be a good batch.

The Expeditions have the 550 fans (2 stroke) and they use 2-3x the fuel.

Keep asking questions and listen to the bearcat owners, we ALMOST went that way. I had never been on one and that influenced my decision.
    We researched it well before we pulled the pin on 8 new macines that need to survive the job.
    Are those Expedition Sports with the 550F still working out for you ? I am interested in your experience with them. I think I like the snowmobile, for a while I lean towards the ACE 600 for fuel economy, then back to the 550F for simplicity. A dependable engine is my highest priority. Something that will always start and run. Something that will run on bare ice with no snow cover for several miles if need be. I like the 2up option on the machine for those once in a while when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    Are those Expedition Sports with the 550F still working out for you ? I am interested in your experience with them. I think I like the snowmobile, for a while I lean towards the ACE 600 for fuel economy, then back to the 550F for simplicity. A dependable engine is my highest priority. Something that will always start and run. Something that will run on bare ice with no snow cover for several miles if need be. I like the 2up option on the machine for those once in a while when you need it.
    No worries about the ACE overheating when running on ice or bare ground, they have a small radiator and electric fan to keep them cool.

Here is a good thread on the Expedition with the ACE compared to the Tundra with the ACE.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/...-side-by-side/

Thanks. I just got back from drooling all over the snowmobiles at the store in Soldotna. My snow machine piggy bank is full and ready to be broken but I'm having a hard time deciding what to get because I'm afraid of making a mistake. All of my experience has been with older cats and yamahas so the new machines dazzle me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast